• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fist and Fantasy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
super robot war z is going to be awesome!!! i cant wait to use xabungle and turn-a again. alpha gaiden was like 7 years ago :p
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Megaman 9? Seriously? Ooof, I want to know more already!
sinemente

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This column is made of win.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've played Tactics and Gba tactics and enjoy both though. But Todd, do you think this game is too childish for an old gamer like myself to enjoy?

It's not really that childish, so I'm not really sure what he was getting at in the column. If you liked the GBA Tactics, you'll like the DS Tactics. Perhaps even more, since the law system has been updated to be easier and they added a bonus system. That's about it! I don't think it suddenly became a kiddy game. It has the same look as FFTA. The main character is just a bright kid that loves the idea of adventure versus FFTA's hero only wanting to get home ASAP and leave the fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why so many people hate FFTA. I understand that taking possibly the most involved, non-emo, complex Final Fantasy storyline and turning it into something that is closer related to Chocobo's Dungeon would cheese some people off but it's still a very solid strat-RPG that is fun for plenty time.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope the estate of American SF/Fantasy writer Poul Anderson, author of Operation Chaos, got some royalties for the Operation Darkness game. You make them sound very similar.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
I don't get why so many people hate FFTA. I understand that taking possibly the most involved, non-emo, complex Final Fantasy storyline and turning it into something that is closer related to Chocobo's Dungeon would cheese some people off but it's still a very solid strat-RPG that is fun for plenty time.

I couldn't get into it in story or gameplay levels. The fights were too slow, the laws too cumbersome, and most of the classes I got access to felt like slightly different variations on the same jack-of-all-trades theme, with none of the in-depth customization I enjoyed in FF5 and FFT's job systems. Plus after I got them, destroying every battle that was actually threatening with Totema spells was too easy and boring.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I just played it for the Bangaa >>
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've played Tactics and Gba tactics and enjoy both though. But Todd, do you think this game is too childish for an old gamer like myself to enjoy?

It's not really that childish, so I'm not really sure what he was getting at in the column. If you liked the GBA Tactics, you'll like the DS Tactics. Perhaps even more, since the law system has been updated to be easier and they added a bonus system. That's about it! I don't think it suddenly became a kiddy game. It has the same look as FFTA. The main character is just a bright kid that loves the idea of adventure versus FFTA's hero only wanting to get home ASAP and leave the fantasy.

Well I did enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for Game Boy Advance, so I'll give the DS version a shot. The reason I ask if this kiddish is because the price of games isn't cheap these days and I don't want to waste money.

I am sure I'll like this title. Thanks for clearing that though Michi.
kittycatgirl2k

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
This is a great column! I love it!
Was also a huge fan of Might Have Been on GameSetWatch and have been patiently waiting for a new installment of that. Love to read about games that never quite made it or those classics that were somehow overlooked and forgotten.
Anyone know of any other sites besides PSXmuseum and Lostlevels that might have information about never released games and what not?
Keep up the great work!
Cheerz!
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
I forgot to add that I'm really glad to see a video game column on ANN (again? I remember it being spoken of before but can't remember if one actually existed before). I like anime just fine, but video games will always be my #1 love.

belvadeer wrote:
I just played it for the Bangaa >>

I loved the Viera myself. <3 Not so much the FFXI version Viera though... The ones in FFTA were just so much more cute.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Well I did enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance for Game Boy Advance, so I'll give the DS version a shot. The reason I ask if this kiddish is because the price of games isn't cheap these days and I don't want to waste money.

I am sure I'll like this title. Thanks for clearing that though Michi.

The only thing that has bugged me about it so far is that getting new weapons (and therefore, abilities) seems a bit troublesome. It's this weird process of using items you find in battle to synthesize new weapons that will then be available to buy in shops. But I'm also playing in Japanese and am not 100% fluent, so maybe I'm just missing something, like an easier method, in translation. Laughing Embarassed

Shale wrote:
the laws too cumbersome

I liked the law system because you could shift it to your needs. Laws weren't set for each battle, and changed if you moved around the map a little, so it would make it easier if a certain law was really getting in the way.
The laws in FFTA2 are now "optional" more or less. The laws are there, but breaking them just means you don't get a "judge bonus" at the end of the battle. I don't think anything else really bad happens like in FFTA where they locked up the law-breaking character, but I haven't played in a few months since I'm so distracted by other games.
There are, however, stranger rules for battle. If you don't follow those correctly you will get in trouble (I think even game over or at least you just plain lost the match, can't remember), and they're set for each battle!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I played Punching Mania about 15 times between 2004 and 2005. It was fun.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Jariten wrote:
Nice to know someone else out there is still showing love for The Guardian Legend. One of the finest NES titles out there by far. Very Happy

Seconded- you earn major brownie points by me for that reference. The Guardian Legend. is a special game in our house... me and my sibilings couldn't beat that first stage back when we got it, no matter how we tried (Hey, c'mon, I was in Kindergarten!). Then one day, we came home- and someone had broken into the house via the garage and taken just that game. Confused Mom filed a police report, and we thought that'd be the end of it. About half a year later, we came home from school, and mom told us a police officer had stopped by. Apparently, some neighborhood kid had broken in and taken the game to give to a friend for his birthday, got scared, took it back and gave it to another kid, and thus got caught. Don't know what they did to the kid, but we actually got the game back! That's when we finally beat that stage and really got into the game.

I actually used the game as a basis for a 10-minute play I wrote for a high school english class... complete with bad midi soundtrack. Laughing
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
I loved the Viera myself. <3 Not so much the FFXI version Viera though... The ones in FFTA were just so much more cute.

FFXII you mean? FFXI just had Mithra, no Viera, right?
ilkz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
North Star game on the NES was not in par with many other titles, Adoption from different media: game <--> anime or game <--> movie or anime <--> movie are most likely to fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3