• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Martian Successor Nadesico question.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:16 am Reply with quote
Well, spoiler[by kissing weren't they able to boson jump the whole ship out of harms way ? It's been awhile, so I can't quite remember.
The fact is they didn't destroy the machine. If they did that, then history would have been altered and the crew would have never met. Instead they took it with them, I don't know how taking it with them would have solved anything, I quess it didn't. The Jovians and Earthlings continue their endless war, but the crew basically saw f_you to the rest of humanity. More then that and you have to wait for, as Ruri says, the inevitable sequel.]

p.s. It's just as funny in English. Laughing
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:18 am Reply with quote
spoiler[I believe they took the main cpu unit from the ruins and teleported away. Without the cpu unit in the ruins nobody else could bosen jump and the war sort of ended.

I think of it like the ruins amplify and protect the cpu unit, when it is removed, only those in close proximity of the unit can bosen jump.

At least that is what I gathered.]

Indeed it is funny in english.
gnollman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote
I agree with Samurai CDZ... that's what I got from it, too.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:53 am Reply with quote
Samurai CDZ got it, except that spoiler[stopping both sides from jumping didn't end the war, but merely stalled it out for a while and prevented all those new, fancy teleportation tricks that both sides were using (basically, making it an "honest" space war). But then, I haven't seen the movie, so I guess I really can't say for sure whether it ended the war or not, but the series' ending says it merely stalled combat.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dilandau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:43 am Reply with quote
Nagisa is correct. You need to watch the movie Prince of Darkness to find out what/why things went however they did.

It is much more serious than the series, but it is very good.
bubblewrap101

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:55 am Reply with quote
The movie is good and it does help you out, but I did not like the ending to it very much. It needed at least 5 more minutes to make the ending feel complete, but that’s just my opinion on it.
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the movie, and am still confused about the ending. Even so, I enjoyed the series and movie alot, never stopped laughing.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
heh...I watch the dub just because I like Gai/Jiro's voice in it better...he's just...so...enthused... Very Happy
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Spike Spencer was great as Akito.

I also enjoyed Brett Weaver as Gai/Jiro. He loves those types of roles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Asuka's voice actor also did a voice similar to her Eva character.... Junpei and Ryoko Subaru (asuka clone)
bluechibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely HATED the Nadesico movie. I despise it so much that I no longer except it's existance.

spoiler[The other day I suddenly decided to have a Nadesico marathon - I had the movie but hadnt seen it yet so there I was laughing my head off all over again at how funny the series is and how much I love the characters. The ending of the series was a bit confusing. So anyway then came the movie. What the smeg happened? For some reason the main character is Ruri, although she's not as interesting as the series Ruri, Ruri's an okay character but to carry a film all by herself is something she can't do. All the other main characters seem to be extras now, you only see some for a few minutes and even their roles in the movie are pointless.

Akito has gone nuts or something, this character has done a complete 180, he's not the character I know. Yurika another of my favourite characters would have made little difference if she wasnt in the film at all. Frozen in the cube and then the one line at the end of the movie? Where Akito has already faught and defeat some guy I assume was a bady and Ruri goes on about he'll come back because he's special to her or something.

The whole thing was just stupid. When they do get some of the team together it's already close to the end of the movie already. The ending seemed very rushed. So yeah, worst thing I had ever seen, graphics were good, story was terrible, what they did to the series, terrible. Overall I give the movie a hateful -10/10 and the series a very much deserved 10/10.

Sorry I'm just really ranting, going from something fun like the series and then to have this movie as a "this is what happened next" stupid movie. Why do it I have no idea.]

Oh and I hate the sub Ruri - I prefer the dub Ruri
Dilandau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:58 am Reply with quote
I have watched a lot of anime, and thus, I have mostly gotten used to the occurance of a Movie having little (if not anything) to do with the tv series (though, it still annoys me).

Nadesico Tv was good, funny and sometimes a little too retarded for my liking. Still a lot of fun to watch.

I loved the Nadesico movie. You can't compare TV to Movie. I thought the drastic change was a lot of fun. Ruri was the obvious main character because she was the fan favourite in Japan.

Its just like WXIII (Patlabor 3; wasted 13). Again I loved the movie, which had nothing to do with Patlabor.

Now Excaflowne Movie I hate as much as you refer to Nadesico movie. That was a horrible thing to do.
Immorrel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:24 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed nadesico the series and the movie much the same way you did and agree whole heartedly about the Escaflowne movie, though I loved the music in it, Dilandau Wink Though I really preferred the more comic side that you got from the series to the serious Ruri from the movie, but thats IMO and should be disregarded by anyone who thinks otherwise
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Well I just finished a week long Nadesico run starting with the first disk and ending with the movie. Overall I like the show, however, the only downer was the show ending - too many lose ends - and the movie - way too many lose ends, and the ending of it isn't in keeping with how the show is built up spoiler[Akito up and runs off after saving Yurika? Whats up with that, they are married for crying out loud]

So here's some questions that I hope someone can help out with:
- Who exactly is the girl that is with Akito?
- Who are that attack Akito in the graveyard? spoiler[I have a feeling that they are involved with the Successors, but no real proof]
- Does the manga wrap things up better than the anime? I'm still reading it right now, but it is coming out slow for a reprint, and the large edition is hard to find.

Thanks for the help!
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the movie was better once I watched it the second time around and it made more sense to me. To answer those questions.

spoiler[1. Are you referring to Lapis Lauzli or Irina? Irina helps out Akito in secret with maintanance on the Black Salena so he can keep fighting. Lapis Lauzli has the same backround as Ruri and is being used by the Martian successors.

2. The people who attack Akito in the graveyard are with Kusakabe. They want Akito because he's an A class boson jumper and obviously a threat. So its a "get him dead or alive" situation.

3. I haven't read the manga so I couldn't say. But here's what I gathered from the 3 year gap that helps the movie make more sense. Obviously Yurika and Akito got married. Ruri and Ryoko stayed in the military because they don't know how else to live. The other crew members persued what they wanted to do after the war which is something Prospector talks about in the show. Anyway from what I can guess aside from Akito and Yurika there were other A class boson jumpers. They were all captured and then experimented on. The experiments altered Akito's mind and his ability to taste. He says that they "did something to his brain". So Kusukabe is using Yurika to operate the ruins and Akito's a vigilante of sorts...his goals seem to be ending the fighting along with saving Yurika. So after he saves her he probably didn't want to see her so he could keep on fighting the good fight so to speak. Kusukabe basically held on to his ideals and continued fighting but at the end he's finally captured.
Like I said its a lot of assuming but it all seems to make sense. Hope it helps and maybe I'm just stating the obvious and there are some other things I missed.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1