• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Inuyasha Confirmed to End Next Wednesday in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Despite the fact I watched the entire anime series for its five year run on Adult Swim, I never really got into the manga. I really have enjoyed most of Rumiko Takahashi's work in the past and in the present, but the ending of Ranma 1/2 left something to be desired.

However, the ending to Inuyasha wasn't as bad as one would belive. I enjoyed Inuyasha from episode one until the final episode, so I can't say I didn't mind the ending. Though I do remember spoiler[thinking after the first episode "In the end, they will beat Nararku and have all the pieces of Shikon Jewel back together. Sure that never happened, but compared to Ranma's ending, this was much better.]

I think Inuyasha is Rumiko Takahashi's last work. Something tells me she is going to retire after 40 plus years. As much as I did enjoy Ursei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, Masion Ikuku, Inuyasha and One Pound Gospel, I think she needs a break.

Maybe in a couple of years Inuyasha will get an OVA and hopefully in a couple more years, Ranma 1/2 will be remastered with better quality.

One of these days I will read the manga of Inuyasha, I am sure this will be a great series. As for One Piece, Naruto and Bleach ending, I doubt that will happen for several more years to come.

However, as for my favorite football series, Eyeshield 21, the series is on the final arc I belive.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I was into the television show for a while, but it dragged on too long for my tastes, and I lost interest shortly after the Band of Seven arc. I picked it up again as the television series was ending, and began reading chapters of the manga that took place after the non-ending of the show, but gave up on that too, because it was just the same repetition.

Inu Yasha was one of those stories that had a lot of potential but was dragged out so long that all of its positive attributes were drowned out by the usual "powering up the sword" nonesense.

Nevertheless, I'd be somewhat interested in how it ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
HALLELUJAH.

It got boring and I got tired of waiting for Viz to get off their butts and release more. Laughing
AuroraRose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with you penguintruth. This was my "gateway" anime that ushered me into the whole world of anime and manga. Now that I look back on it, I realize how much fun it was initially and then how quickly is became lame and repetitive. I think i'll go skim through some of the manga online just to see how it ends. Anime smile
Kriffix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Hm yeah, some remastered Ranma would be nice. I much prefered the Ranma Manga to the Ranma anime though.
I see what you mean, this is likely her last work...but even just a few volume series of something that's more from her heart than Inuyasha was would be nice.
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

However, as for my favorite football series, Eyeshield 21, the series is on the final arc I belive.

Woah woah woah! The Manga's ending or the anime?!
The Manga is one of the best (and underated) series out there! i really hope it's not ending so soon! I'm kinda glad it's underated though since once it get's popular, the wishy-washy seagull-like fandom tends to ruin it! ;___;
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
maybe they can continue the anime this time. Inuyasha was good at the beginning, but it goes downhill fast. I still want to see the ending, maybe i should read last volume of the manga.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
*looks up into heaven* Oh god you finally answered my prayers .... now lets see naruto go X3
Kriffix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
*looks up into heaven* Oh god you finally answered my prayers .... now lets see naruto go X3

Oh come on, you can't be suggesting that Naruto is as generic as Inuyasha! Shocked
It may not be as good as it used to have been, but atleast it's got a little heart! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the swarms of crazed creepy mindless fandom.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Jawdrop.

Hope it gets good ending.

Wonder if Conan will be strong enough by itself to hold Shounen Sunday up. Unless Takahashi has another idea coming?
boznia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I had randomly guessed a while back it would be chapter 567. So close. Smile

I had read the manga a little past where the anime ends, but it had been going downhill for me before that, probably after the Band of Seven arc. I am like some others curious as to how it will end, and whether this ending will be animated in some form or another.
puffy_flower

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Shocked *heart stops* Huh?! Seriously?!
Gosh, the way that series kept going, I wasn't sure if I'd live to see the day it ended.
I'm so happy to see that it'll finally have an ending, but I'm a bit sad to see it go.
Well, I guess it's time that I try catching up on the manga, then.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is unexpected, but delightful news! I assumed that it would have a long ending since the series itself is so long...I thought that Rumiko Takahashi would want to take her time ending it. Plus, I keep thinking about how spoiler[Sango thought Sesshomaru was going to kill her for what she almost did to Rin, yet nothing more was said about that after Naraku died]...that's kind of a loose end. But I'm happy to see that it will be ending soon...I thought it was going to end a few years ago when they went back to spoiler[Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father's grave.] It's interesting to read that so many people got tired of it and felt it was dragging on and on. I'll agree that it's pretty darn long and probably could have been tightened a bit, and that I also kept wondering when or if it was going to ever end, but I guess the characters she made were appealing and lovable enough to me that I was willing to keep following the story to wherever it was going to go. They're wonderful characters -- I've grown quite attached to them -- and I've especially enjoyed the love story between Inuyasha and Kagome. Of course, I went from being the most fascinated by Inuyasha's character in the beginning to currently being the most fascinated by Sesshomaru's character. When I thought about it, I realized that he reminded me of Vegeta from Dragonball Z -- a villain and antagonist who evolved into an anti-hero of sorts. He went from being absolutely disgusted with humans to showing affection for his human ward, Rin. In fact, one of my favorite parts of the manga is when he went to his spoiler[mother's palace and went to save Rin from the underworld.] I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see a spin-off series that just follows Sesshomaru and his continued character development because he still has plenty of interesting room to grow as a character. I always hoped that Rumiko Takahashi would write a more detailed story about Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father and Inuyasha's mother, but no, that didn't happen. But I personally have enjoyed the ending with spoiler[Kagome ending up inside the Shikon no Tama,] especially since at the beginning of the story, the Shikon no Tama was inside of her. So, in the beginning, the jewel was inside of her, spoiler[and in the end, she is inside the jewel] -- it's kind of a nice full-circle thing. It caught me by surprise that spoiler[she ended up inside the jewel], though. I didn't forsee that at all -- I thought it would all end spoiler[with Naraku ]-- so I think that was a good move for Rumiko Takahashi to make, to bring in the unexpected at the end of her story. Another thing that brought the story full-circle was spoiler[the separation of Inuyasha and Kagome. Just like in the beginning of the story when Kagome and Inuyasha were separated by time and space, at the end they were separated by the Shikon no Tama -- the very object that brought them together in the first place. But just as time and space could not keep them apart, the Shikon no Tama could not keep them apart either.] It's a lovely fate. It's making me quite hopeful that the ending will be happy.

One thing that I do wish is that Rumiko Takahashi could have done a bit more with Midoriko's character because what little of her story was told was very interesting to me -- but a least she spoiler[made an appearance at the end. ] And what is up with Inuyasha's spoiler[meidou or whatever it's called opening up a way into the jewel? Does that mean he was sending demon's into the jewel? I thought they were going into the underworld...but it is interesting, because if his sword does open up a way into the jewel]...it is another way of connecting his fate with Kagome's. Although, I still want to know why their fates were so connected, and I want to know more about the importance of the tree and the well.

Inuyasha was one of the first anime I watched that took place in Japan's Sengoku Jidai and really had a lot of direct influence from Japanese mythology. It was also one of the first to introduce me to the concept of Japanese demons. I always loved the stories that had to do with what it was like to be half-demon. I only hope that Kagome and Inuyasha are together at the end of the manga. No getting cut off from each other. None of that. That's all I really want from the ending.

P.S. -- spoiler[I like the wish that had to happen to make the jewel disappear. Sure, it's simple, it's not particularly heart-racing, and it was one of the wishes that I guessed would purify the jewel, but it's also lovely because it's such a clean, simple, unexciting wish. It is the only type of wish that could make the jewel disappear -- a wish uncluttered by selfish desires, a wish that is pure of heart precisely because Kagome is not making a wish for herself, but rather a wish for everyone, a wish that the jewel will no longer cause anyone else any pain or suffering again. It feels rather Buddhist to me, which is interesting because I always viewed the jewel as being symbolically yin and yang -- so, at the end of Inuyasha, the idea of shedding desires seems to purify the conflict between light and dark. Now to wait and see what the worlds of the past and present are like without the presence of the Shikon no Tama...]

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dranxis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I just read the latest chapter and am looking forward to reading the final one next week. I am also one of those crazies who has actually been following Inu-Yasha. Anime hyper I think I starting keeping up with the scanlations around 2-3 years ago, right when Moryomaru or whatever-his-face-was showed up. I still really liked Inuyasha up to the arc wherespoiler[Kagura died], and the series still had alot of emotional resonance and a very creepy atmosphere. Since then, it has had some ups and downs.... Some of the later mini-arcs I read were terrible, but some were pretty surprising spoiler[Sesshoumaru's mother anyone? Oh, and I liked that scene where Kagome told Kikyo how she -really- felt about her.... or was that an illusion.... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ] Overall, I think this series could have been about 10-15 volumes shorter, but it felt like I was getting into a pretty long and epic series when I first started reading it.

The last few chapters have been good, but I'm surprised she's wrapping it up so fast! I thought it'd go on another month at least.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I had pretty much given up on Inuyasha right when I figured out that Takahashi has a history of ending stories on an unsastisfactory note or simply not ending them at all. (Although I have to admit she does a great job with Maison Ikkoku).

I might pick the series up again now that I know the end is in sight and, from what I can see on the boards, the main conflicts will be resolved.

Chances are Viz will finish printing this title in English, so it's worth sticking to. (I'm nervous about my ADV titles and now Tokyopop!)[/u]
bakayasha14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
In ways I'm happy it's ending. And in ways I'm sad it's ending. Anime hyper

InuYasha was what got me into anime almost five years now and I've been following it since.

I hope they make another anime series soon since it would make many InuYasha fans(myself included) very happy. Very Happy

I wonder if Rumiko Takahashi will have another story after InuYasha? I'd be neat to see what she comes up with if there is one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6