• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-06-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
I've met that guy- he's in my local library's anime club. He doesn't bathe, is loud, sounds like a voice actor (like a pokemon voice actor. The bad ones.) He comments on everything, 'corrects' us on our favorites (he tells us that our favorites suck and 'nah-roo-too' is best), plus he likes to sit in the middle of the room, therefore penetrating our personal bubbles from all angles.

and that girl. she actually had the nerves to tell me to move when she had sat in front of the shelves in borders, therefore blocking me from purchasing books. And when I asked her to move? she got all pissy and hyserical saying that i was being unreasonable! And all I said was "can you please move? I'd like to check out a book that you're sitting in front of." I never even reamed her for sitting there in the first place!

If Greg Ayres does the voice of nina for Mamotte! Lollipop, I don't know whether I'd laugh or cry...
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
ilkz wrote:
MADBULL34. that's the one on the garbage list:
animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2008-02-20

That's only one of three shows that I gave a "masterpiece" rating. I think of it as the DEATH WISH III of anime, i.e. I consider it the masterpiece among masterpieces.

I met a "that guy" at a bookstore once. He randomly came up to me and excitedly announced that "This store has CHOBITS!" after which he picked up a volume and read it in the middle of the aisle. But I really shouldn't talk. I did the same thing when the first volume of STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW came out. But it was STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW ! That store had STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW!!!
Dramatis Personae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How many anime do you like? I am just wondering, because, it seems like some otaku seem to think they have to get every title available. I think it is silly. Not every anime out there is good, right? I think you even said so yourself once. I mean, there is a good number of anime, that is great, and those are the ones I look for. But how is it some otaku are able to have that much time for so many anime? I have seen people with like, a hundred anime titles on their list, and I'd like to know how they are able to see them all. Even I couldn't do that. I'd rather spend my time on anime that actually matter. What do you think?

How would you even know what's good(Good being almost entirely subjective anyway. I am one of the few people I know who thought Fist of the North Star was garbage.) unless you watched something because an anime that gets good reviews won't always be to your liking. Sometimes it is not a matter of trying to be hip, but looking for what you like or, in my case, you simply haven't ran into many you dislike. I watch anime casually and for me and many others who watch a lot of anime we do so in our spare time, and considering there are many short series doing so is made that much easier.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kenotic wrote:
Something I was thinking of regarding English anime voice actors -- The US Animation scene is pretty similar.

Check out a number of the animated series through the years, there's a good chance you'll see a few names that pop up in near everything: Rob Paulsen, Tress MacNeille, Frank Welker, Nancy Cartwright, Maurice LaMarche....they're likely somewhere in your favorite cartoon.

I get the feeling that animation, no matter where it's done or how its done, can be a close-knit group at times. You get a few talented people who can do a lot of voices (The Simpsons and The Muppets comes to mind), and you see less and less reason to look elsewhere.

This recent Bob Bergen interview sheds some light in the life of voice acting:

Quote:

TZN: Do you think that there's much difference between the regular voice-over acting we think of, like being Porky Pig, versus, doing overdubbing or ADR (automated dialogue replacement or additional dialogue recording) for anime or for airline or broadcast movie retakes?

BERGEN: Well, acting is acting. It still has to be believable. The technique is different. With anime, with dubbing, you have to do several things at once. You have to read the line, match the sync, and act all at the same time. And quite often, the restrictions in anime that you have to fit the sync basically takes the acting freedom away from you. You have to act under their parameters.

TZN: How do those demands affect your performance?

BERGEN: The restrictions of staying in sync from somebody else's performance do hinder your creativity. You're not able to give the performance of what YOU would do, because you're limited to the parameters of matching sync. That said, you have to be a superb actor to be able to do that because you're not able to be as creatively free as you would in, say, an American animation. And I think anime actors are some of the best voice over actors out there because of this. The sad thing is that they're not paid for their expertise. They should be paid, I think, double what American animation pays because of all the restrictions and all the technical nuances that you have to perfect.

TZN: Do you think there's such a thing as voice actor typecasting?

BERGEN: Sure! There's also studio typecasting. "He does a lot of work for Disney. Well, we don't want him over at Hanna-Barbera." "Well, he does a lot of work for anime. We don't want him for animation...for American animation." Because people think, "Oh, this is what you do, and this is what you do well, so therefore you probably shouldn't or couldn't do anything else." This is also why a lot of anime actors have a difficult time breaking into American animation. Because the American animation people are saying, "Oh, we don't want that 'anime' sound." These people don't realize that anime recording is so specific, unique, and difficult to do that if you put a script in front of those actors, they can still act without having to dub.

But it's difficult. Once you get established in a certain area, it's very difficult to break out. It's like a soap opera actor. A guy in a soap opera who'd love to do a sitcom. "I'm sorry, but you're just a soap actor." Person on a sitcom trying to do a feature, "Well you're just a television actor." It's easier nowadays for TV actors to do movies, but you still get typecast. It's not just in voiceover, it's everywhere.

Definite nice point out for the interview.

The same thing is definitely true almost everywhere. Look at some of the actors from China/Hong Kong like how at first Chow Yun Fat was mainly doing movies in the style of John Woo back in Hong Kong and for a while here in the states. Even back here in North America for Jim Carrey, he's actually not too bad as an actor who's mainly known for his comedies, but when it comes down to something of a dramatic nature, people will just dismiss him.

Now, as for meeting up with "that guy", I've met a couple here and there, but at least I haven't had the problem that's usually associated to being negative. Surprisingly, it's been more on the nature of just shooting the breeze and actually making a new friend in a way. Luckily, I haven't met the one where "shower" is not in their vocabulary. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Since I don't really attend my University's club that often I run little risk of becoming "that guy", but reading this thread has nonetheless encouraged me to have a shower.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mel Blanc did nearly all the voices for the WB cartoons.

Yeah. The sad part is that most of the time his co-stars were uncredited, leaving the impression that he did ALL the voices. And I'm a huge Mel Blanc fan.
Feb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ManSlayer07 wrote:
About the "tell and not show" question, John over AnimeNation got the same question and posted an interesting and pretty detailed response.

John proves again Answerman sucks at answering questions. Answerman could never give the detailed and intelligent thoughts John can.
fmagrave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Feb wrote:
ManSlayer07 wrote:
About the "tell and not show" question, John over AnimeNation got the same question and posted an interesting and pretty detailed response.

John proves again Answerman sucks at answering questions. Answerman could never give the detailed and intelligent thoughts John can.

Yes, John offered a bit more depth, but it was much, much longer than Answerman's reply.

For the number of words Answerman used, his answer was competent and to-the-point. I completely fail to see how he "sucks"; please provide more support to your claim.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'm probably in an anime burnout right now, since I probably haven't watched any anime since before the semester had started. Now that it's over I have been watching a few episodes of Final Fantasy Unlimited, but I haven't been going hardcore on anything right now.
Celes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
I met That Girl in the Easton Best Buy this past December. My boyfriend and I were in the anime aisle looking for the Slayers OVA collection when a gal next to us (rather short and chub with the craziest, biggest hair I'd ever seen and glasses bundled up in a huge coat and scarf that didn't match) suddenly grabbed a DVD and turned to us, waving it around.

"LOOK AT HOW MUCH THEY WANT FOR THIS!"

It was the Naruto movie special edition DVD and in a really nice looking tin-like case. It was a considerable sum of money, so I agreed with her. "Yeah, that's a lot of money for one movie."

"I NEED IT SO BAD I LOVE NARUTO!"

At this point I was getting embarassed because she really was yelling her replies and I turn to say something to my boyfriend like "Dear we're going to be late" so we can get out of there, but the bastard has deserted me! The girl put down the DVD.

"SO WHAT KIND OF ANIME DO YOU LIKE? I LIKE BLOOD AND GUTS AND NINJAS!"

"...I like shojo. Just shojo. I'm pretty picky."

"LIKE PEACH GIRL!?"

"Yes I love Peach Girl."

"I'VE NEVER SEEN IT! BUT THE BOYS ARE HOT!"

I told her she should check it out and took my chance to flee. After I found my boyfriend again and ripped him a new one for leaving me, we both died laughing. Neither of us had really experienced something quite like that. But we knew we came out stronger for it.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
I've met "that guy-or gal" myself a few times. They know it all-and offer their "advise" without hesitation-to the point of being annoying and irritating to the extreme. If you happen to cross their wake-your nose will be permantly paralized. Oh yes! I've never really experianced "anime burnout"-although I'll take a break once in a while for a day-but mainly because I need time to digest the 10 or so shows that I watch to keep it all in relative perspective. I love the rabbit mitosis picture-having had pet rabbits myself fot the last 20 years I can relate to that-funny stuff.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

You forgot Billy West! Wikipedia
He's practically every other character in Futurama, and far more of your favorite cartoons from the 90s than you'd like to admit enjoying.

I was going to add him, but I thought I had a long enough list of examples. Good choice, tho Smile

I also wonder if it's cyclical. Go back to the 60s or 70s and you'll see either Mel Blanc, June Foray, Hal Smith, or Janet Waldo in something. Likewise, in anime you can go back about 10 years and find Angora Deb and Willow Johnson in a ton of things. In 5 years, we'll be wondering why a currently-unknown talent seems to be ubiquitous.
strahl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
answerman should have a question:

"What do you do to make friends that like anime?"

usually anime and manga fans try to find good friends among other people with the same interest, until unfriendly etilist guys like a few that posted here recently start talking over their mighty horse saying "Oh my gosh, he/she started talking to me...how dare he/she" maybe you guys are the unfriendly ones?
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
answerman should have a question:

"What do you do to make friends that like anime?"

usually anime and manga fans try to find good friends among other people with the same interest, until unfriendly etilist guys like a few that posted here recently start talking over their mighty horse saying "Oh my gosh, he/she started talking to me...how dare he/she" maybe you guys are the unfriendly ones?

It's not really that they're being unfriendly. It's usually that the people who approach them in the store are either really loud/stinky/elitist/socially awkward.
I myself am so scared of coming off as 'that girl' that I prefer to go to the comic store alone. If I'm with my boyfriend, or someone else, I tend to be loud and overly excitable, whereas if I'm alone, I can contain my excitement and be a lot more quiet when I find something cool. That and I'm afraid the people there are quietly judging me because I have a coat with missing buttons.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:

I also wonder if it's cyclical. Go back to the 60s or 70s and you'll see either Mel Blanc, June Foray, Hal Smith, or Janet Waldo in something. Likewise, in anime you can go back about 10 years and find Angora Deb and Willow Johnson in a ton of things. In 5 years, we'll be wondering why a currently-unknown talent seems to be ubiquitous.

Well, in the 50s and 60s, many of the Hanna-Barbera TV cartoons literally had two actors doing every role in the series, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Daws Butler and Don Messick seemed to be in everything. At the time, the rules on paying voice actors meant that it was considerably cheaper to have a couple of them doing everything than to hire a large cast, and those shows were definitely driven by cheapness. (The pay rules later changed to make it worthwhile to hire larger casts.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5