• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Latching on to old favorites

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
From the onset of being an anime fan to where you are today, do you still have a strong sentimental attachment to titles you have watched early on, or do you try to move on and find new favorites among current shows?

I can safely say that Azumanga Daioh will continue to hold the place as my all time favorite anime for the years to come. Even though I have probably seen better titles in the four years since I first watched this series, it's hard not to shake the fond memories of watching such a unique series and getting to know the characters for so long. Azumanga Daioh is also the anime that got me into the whole "school life" genre, which to this day I am very grateful that it did.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I was able to move on from my shounen addiction back in my early years of high school with Naruto and Bleach rather quickly but one show I couldn't let go was Fullmetal Alchemist. While I have seen many other shows that I found better than FMA that deal with mature themes and morality, FMA will still always be the first show that showed me how anime is capable of having substance and depth in the story, plot, and characters, and doesn't have to involve fighting and action every other second to hold my attention.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
No, as far as anime goes, I still have a strong nostalgic love for even DBZ and Pokemon. I never grow salty about stuff I loved when I first became a fan. In fact, Fruits Basket and FMA, my first two REAL fangirl favorites and some of my very first anime...are still powerhouse loves of mine after I've seen dozens and dozens of other things.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
Definitely Dragonball Z. I can quite obviously recognize that it isn't really very "good" as I look back on it now. But I still like it in spite of that. I still can't help but find it a little bit cool.
musk.stick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
It's been 12 years, yet I still love Sailor Moon in the same obsessive way I did when I first saw it. Sure, it's not the greatest show out there (probably not even close) but I don't see myself ever outgrowing it.
Marik101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
i defiantly have good memories of all the animes i have watched over the years.
each one makes me smile when i think about them
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
Not really. Although I do give old shows the benefit of considering their age, I view old series--even those of my childhood--as an entirely new experience. If the show does not appear good any longer, then I stay away from it and do not recommend it to anybody. There are certain shows about which I would like to keep my fond memories of youth, so I diligently repress the temptation to view them again for fear that it would rob me of some fond reminiscence. Then again, perhaps it is not quite accurate to say that I am viewing the shows of my childhood. Although the same series, the ones I watch now are, by majority, English dubbed or English subtitled with Japanese voices. Neither correspond to the version that I saw. With the one exception of Angel, I have not been able to track down the version of my youth. I must say that the one that I did find withstood the test of time admirably.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
I still do in a way but not very much to an extent. Mobile Suit Gundam was my gateway anime series that got me into anime and it holds a special place in my heart and it always will even when I stop watching anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Of the first batch of anime I was exposed to, only one would probably still be a candidate for my top 10 list at this point were I to draw one up. Still, those titles were better than average, I still appreciate them for what they are, and they made enough of an impression on me to continue exploring further. I still regard them fondly.

Another factor with me is that I didn't really start watching anime seriously until I was in my early 30's, so there isn't as much of a nostalgia factor with me as I'm sure there is with fans who started watching younger and grew up with it. I'm also probably less likely to change my opinion over time as drastically as someone first watching a title in their mid to late teens who reassesses in their 20's, 30's or beyond.
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
I definatlyyy have this obsession, stuff from cartoon network like Outlaw Star(the only sci-fi anime I've really enjoyed) and Tenchi Muyo will always have places on my favorites, though anime has come a long way since then and a lot of great shows have passed me by.

Another title I'd have to mention is Record of Lodoss Wars, I first saw this when I was a small child and every time I watch it I get such a rush of nostalgia and excitement.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
I still feel sentimental over Trigun and Vision of Escaflowne as those were the first and second series I ever finished -- which I watched in quick succession. However, I do think that I just happened to choose great shows, and I don't feel biased since they have withstood repeat viewings. But I just have this fond memory of that which led to my introduction to anime as a whole.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
musk.stick wrote:
It's been 12 years, yet I still love Sailor Moon in the same obsessive way I did when I first saw it. Sure, it's not the greatest show out there (probably not even close) but I don't see myself ever outgrowing it.

You and me both. Sailor Moon was the series that got me into anime and for all of its good and bad and sometimes downright silly points...I love it and always will.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Azumanga Daioh will always have a special place in "Slice of Life, School Gene" for me. Even though I like Lucky Star and Doki Doki School Hours (Heart beat School Hours), Azumanga Daioh is one of the best Slice of Life English anime titles I've seen in a long time.

Sure there are sterotypes, but at least there is comedy.

Another series is Ranma 1/2. Although Inuyasha, Bleach, Dragon Ball series all are some of my favorite shonen anime titles, Ranma 1/2 was just a excellent series. One has to admit, Rumiko Takahashi made a fine series.

Inuyasha as well holds a place place for me as well. I actually was able to see every new episode on Adult Swim and continued to watch the series for five years until the show concluded on the fivth year.

Ah My Goddess instantly became my favorite romance/shonen series. Even more so than Love Hina.

Case Closed is such a excellent crime/mystery show, so I doubt any other show will rivial this series for a long while.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I admit I still do. Even for kids shows that I watched ages ago, like Digimon, which I still remeber tuning into every week for the new ep on saturday. I recently finished rewatching seasons 1-4 and while I still don't like 3 very much, I thought 1 was worse than I remebered it, 2 was better than I remembered it, and 4 was about the same. I still have a soft spot for them, but unfortunatly for gaming companies, its not one that will make me buy mediocre games.
Also, Pokemon, but only through the Indigo League. I still liked the games after that, but I only felt that Indigo League was actually fun to watch as a cartoon. I wouldn't rewatch it again, but I find it hard to hate the Pokemon Juggernaut, especially when their games are just so fun.
Then, Outlaw Star which I saw back on Toonami's midnight run at 1 am back in late middle school. With Pokemon and Digimon, I wasn't actually aware they were anime so much as kid's shows, but Outlaw Star I remember actually made an impact on me as an anime and not just a cartoon. Its also one of the first series I got on a DVD boxset (The black box perfect collection series with the gold letters in particular), making it all the more sentimental. Its also a good show on its own though and I still watch it every so often.
I actually don't have quite the same sentimental value for some of my gateway animes like DBZ though. I still like it, but I think there's always something better to watch nontheless.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am currently rewatching Samurai X and I still enjoy it, nostalgia being the main reason why I took out the dvds and looked at it again. Every episode reminds me of the mornings spent with my brother in front of the TV, waiting for a new episode which was once a week (I still can't believe that I used to watch patiently such a long anime -95 episodes- with only one episode per week Shocked). Of course after rewatching the show, we tend to see the flaws which perhaps have gone unoticed at the first viewing but I for instance remain always fascinated by series that make me rewatch them out of pure nostalgic emotions. I would also add here Fruits Basket, Akage no Anne or Watashi no Ashinaga Ojisan (Daddy Long Legs). I think I will always enjoy them. Anne of the Green Gables was recently on a local channel and although I have it, I would still watch it on the TV. It seemed like I was rediscovering it again.

LydiaDianne wrote:
musk.stick wrote:

You and me both. Sailor Moon was the series that got me into anime and for all of its good and bad and sometimes downright silly points...I love it and always will.

Count me in this club too. I think that Sailor Moon was the anime of my childhood and opened for me a whole new different world, so this series has definitely a special place in my heart. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2