• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What rating makes YOUR Shelf

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isikari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
So over the past couple weeks I've been edging towards another Anime buying burst, as I tend to buy stuff in large clumps instead of a series here and a DVD there. ANN's rating system (Specifically My Anime) has helped me as a reference point, and I've noticed something I consider interesting. Very Good (8/10 for those who aren't familiar with ANN's system) and up makes my shelf, Good (7/10) and below dosen't.

I didn't plan it this way as I added titles, but I guess that's the cutoff for me, as I really want to make sure I like something before I go ahead and drop the money on it.

So, my question to all of you is what rating makes your shelf, and why? Does an anime have to avoid excessive fanservice (One of my requirements)? Do you require it? Tournaments that last more than thirty episodes a plus, a minus?

What makes your shelf?
sirgalahadthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
My shelf, virtual as it is, is made of nothing short of 8/10 anime and manga.

However, I'm not exactly sure what fanservice is, so I can't tell whether I like it or not.

I am particular about what kind of genre and soundtrack an anime has, though. It's very important for me, because I download the OST after that.

I like to see the anime before I venture out on the manga front. So I like a manga which has a good anime made out of it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quote
I'm getting close to owning all the R1 releases that make it to the ANN top 1000 chart. At this point I'm down to mainly out of print titles and stuff that are movie compilations.

The highest ranking R1 title that I don't own is Dog of Flanders(out of print) which ranks at #152 and FLCL (out of print?) which ranks in at #160 at ANN. This is followed by Slam Dunk (unfinished/out of print) Case Closed movies (not a fan), the Macross Plus film (own the OAVs), Spring and Chaos (out of print), Farewell Yamato (which I hope to buy but never goes on sale), Ah My Goddess 2 (fell behind on the first series and am waiting for an ADV thinpack), City Hunter 3 (actively looking for/out of print), Night on the Galactic Railways (actively looking for/out of print), Naruto (almost bought the first 8 collections last week), Gravitation (which I didn't like), Gunbuster Movie (overpriced/own both OAV series) and Pani Poni Dash. These are all the R1 titles from the top 500 ANN list that I don't own.

I regularly bid on all the oop titles above (not counting the canceled Slam Dunk) in hopes of one day completing the top 500. I'm also still missing one Orange Road DVD and 3 out of 18 Card Captor Sakura DVDs.

From 501-1000 I own most on the list, but there are enough titles that I'm missing that it would be tedious for me to list. If it is released as a thinpak, legends or economy box I own it. There are a handful of new titles that I missed since they will most likely be available for cheaper by the time I get around to watching them since I have about a 300 DVD backlog.

From 1001-1500 I own most of the titles that are on here that have been released as economy editions or that I have found in the bargain bins. Only a few of these series were collected as they were released.

1500+ very few of these titles are bought at full price with a surprising number of them still making my collection as cheap rereleases. There are a number of titles from this section that have been on the bottom of my to be watched pile for quite awhile.

I just completed my Yu Yu Hakusho collection with the last TSRI Funimation sale and just preordered the 8th collection for Ranma which will complete another long series. Urusei Yatsura is another series which is taking me forever to complete. I considered ordering all the Naruto collections during the recent Viz sale, but decided on buying Hikaru no Go 1-11 instead. I really hope Viz will continue Full Moon, Prince of Tennis and Hikaru no Go.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
I think Randall you may have the largest personal anime collection on Earth. Heck, you could probably send in your dvds for reviews to the ANN staff so they didn't have tog et them from other sources heh. I think between your dvd collection and Emerje's transformers figure collection you two could over power any collector. I'd hate to be your guy's roommates though. I mean your stuff would be everywhere. Wink
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
There's some older stuff on my shelf that's complete and utter crap. However, for a new purchase, my standards are quite high. I really don't want to end up with another Moon Phase, so I research the title. In the end it all comes down to what appeals to me, so here's my pluses and minuses, none of which are requirements alone:

PLUS:
+50 episodes or under
+gorgeous animation/character design/etc
+boys love
+solid musical score/soundtrack
+intelligent story/plot
+19th century or older setting
+1920's setting
+somehow involving theatre/dance
+originality in story (ie; Princess Tutu, Haibane Renmei)
+good dub
+well-done, affordable release
+fanservice aimed at a female audience

MINUS:
-insanely long
-based mainly on fighting and having a lot of tournaments and -DBZ-esque power-up scenes
-fanservice aimed at a male audience
-dub involving Vic Mignogna, or otherwise bad
-moe
-vampires not done well (ie; most of them)
-giant robot series
-series based on a Yuu Watase manga

I'm sure there's more, but I'm rather pressed for time.
Isikari

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
Sir Galahad: To answer your question, fanservice is when the animators go out of their way to appeal to the fanbase, so in most shows I watch (As a male) that would mean girls in bikinis and such.

As for your shelf, if I'm interpreting what your saying correctly you download all your anime (Virtual Shelf), which means that although you do have a 'shelf' (Your hard drive) you don't lose anything (Money) by not having it on there. While it's great you appear to like a lot of anime seeing as you have only stuff that's 8/10 or higher, I think you really understand whether you value an anime or not when it comes time to drop the cash for it.

Randall: Wow. I have to say, that's a really impressive collection, and seeing as you live fairly close to me (Your location is near Golden Gate Park, I'm about 20 miles out from SF), clearly, we're going to have to become good friends!

However, I do have a question for you, why do you collect all that anime. After a cursory look at the top 50, of the Anime I recognize only a few would be 8/10 or above for me (And therefore a sure addition to my collection). Do you really enjoy that wide a scope of anime, or do you collect even the 1/10 (In your opinion) for the sake of completion?

Maryohki: That's a really interesting list of pro's and cons, looking at it I'd say I agree with several of your pros such as character design, shorter shows, good dub (I don't really have a sub/dub preference so for the shows I watch dubbed). Thanks for the thorough list!

And as for the old stuff being crap, while my collection is quite small as it was started recently, I do realize that one of the shows I have would have been borderline were I deciding now. I guess we'll see what I think of my purchases a few years down the road Smile.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote
I'm much more particular about what I purchase. I own everything that I've given a masterpiece rating, but otherwise it's just the shows I liked the most. I have some of the shows I rated excellent, but I only got the ones that I thought I would want to watch multiple times. Also, some of the things I plan to buy have not been released in the US yet, or I can't get a hold of a boxset or thinpak set. Frankly there are other mediums that I'm interested in as much if not more than anime, so I don't buy something unless it will get its fair share of re-watches. My actual dvd collection is relatively small. It would take up about two shelf rows not including anime; the rest is filled with books. I find with netflix and rental stores I can watch something again for little or no money if I really want to.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
First and foremost, I watch what's offered on cable television - which turns out to be quite alot once you've been watching a while and add it all up if you're in my region. Once in a blue moon, I'll like something enough to buy in DVD format.

From there, I keep an eye on the top 100 lists here and on another site and look up some reviews if I see something that interests me. I then make a judgement call about the likelihood of the title showing up on TV. If I think it will, then I'll wait for the airings. If I don't think it will, then I'll take a chance and buy blind. It's worked for me in all but one case.

I tend towards fantasy, dramedy and supernatural, but I'll pretty much watch anything that doesn't involve fanservice or ultraviolence. A balance of good storyline, characters and art is important, but I'll compromise slightly if one or the other is truly outstanding.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
For me, basically, if I finish watching something (usually through Netflix) and I like it enough, I buy it. I don't have criteria or anything. I don't have a lot of money, so my collection is pretty small (65 or so DVDs, but most have been purchased in the last year) and I have to prioritize when I buy. I'll also be more likely to buy something I've had my eye on if I can find it on sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
If I rate something Excellent or better I'll certainly want to own it. Less than that and it goes on a mental list of things I'd think of buying once I know there's nothing better to watch. On reflection that makes me sound quite stingy, but a lot of things simply aren't available where I live without pricy overseas shipping.

Romance is my favorite genre, especially when combined with sci-fi. As for what I don't like, 24+ episode series aren't my cup of tea (Kanon exempt), as it increases both the price and the chances that I'll have to sit through filler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
There's some older stuff on my shelf that's complete and utter crap. However, for a new purchase, my standards are quite high. I really don't want to end up with another Moon Phase, so I research the title. In the end it all comes down to what appeals to me, so here's my pluses and minuses, none of which are requirements alone:

PLUS:
+50 episodes or under
+gorgeous animation/character design/etc
+boys love
+solid musical score/soundtrack
+intelligent story/plot
+19th century or older setting
+1920's setting
+somehow involving theatre/dance
+originality in story (ie; Princess Tutu, Haibane Renmei)
+good dub
+well-done, affordable release
+fanservice aimed at a female audience

MINUS:
-insanely long
-based mainly on fighting and having a lot of tournaments and -DBZ-esque power-up scenes
-fanservice aimed at a male audience
-dub involving Vic Mignogna, or otherwise bad
-moe
-vampires not done well (ie; most of them)
-giant robot series
-series based on a Yuu Watase manga

I'm sure there's more, but I'm rather pressed for time.

I agree with a lot of what you said besides that I'm a guy. I'd prefer no fanservice at all though, especially when I'm watching one at school and everyone just yells out hentai, even when theres nothing going on at the time, it just helps with the stereotypes :p I like the older settings as well and hate really long animes. Originality in stories are always great but rarely seen, although I don't know why you don't like Vic Mignona, he's the man next to Freeman and Johnny Bosch. Well, to each his/her own i guess.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I blind buy and "back of the DVD description buy" all the time so my 600 something titles are all over the map. Most of the time however, my judgement does not fail me and I end up with something I like. Anyhow, as for things I've already seen and wish to own, they're usually things I've rated "Excellent" or "Masterpiece".
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I tend to go with higher quality shows or something that I fell I can either relate to or enjoy. While I enjoy my share of fan service I don't want to see it all the time. It gets old if it's too much too soon. Well if it's a series that I haven't seen before I usually rent it on Netflix and watch the first dvd to see if I can get into the series or not. If I can't I never have to see it again and I don't waste any money. If I do like then then I end up getting it.

I've also used fansubs (Not so much anymore) and TV to see shows that I haven't seen before. Adult Swim got me into some difference ones (Cowboy Bebop, Gundam 0083, and some others) which helped me get into those shows. TV and fansubs used to be the way I can determine if I would like a show or not. I stopped getting fansubs (the last ones I got were for a few episodes of Lucky Star to see if I would like it or not) because it was hard to find quality downloads, plus having VoIP any extra lag on the internet connection really messes up phone calls.

I use review to give me a general idea of what others think, but I tend to use them not as my determining factor if I get something or not. The main reason I don't use reviews as my main determining factor is that I may disagree with the review and end up wasting money on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Naturally I like to own things that I really enjoy so things ranging from an 8/10 to a 10/10 in my book but if I like a show enough I’ll let a 7/10 show slide, like for example Rune Soldier. I don’t have a lot of money usually so I almost always wait for a complete box set, preferably a cheap one. My collection is currently pretty meager only about 19 complete series and a number of movies. I have a huge back list of anime to buy or check out. I use a combination of fansubs and youtube to check out new shows, if I end up liking a series it goes on my list of series to buy in the future.

As for what I look for in a show for it to earn a spot of my shelf Im not really set on one type of show. I like a lot of different stuff, fighting, action, drama, comedy, romance, supernatural, slice of life, etc. Really a series could have any combination of types as long as it has characters and a story that appeals to me that’s what matters most. Like some of you I don’t like super long shows, ideally for me would be a show that’s 50 episodes or less. I don’t go out of my way to find shows with potentially off putting content like fanservice but as long as it isn’t the main focus of the show Im fine with it.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't really follow a rating system. I really just buy DVDs and such based on what I've seen or what seemed really interesting. But if I use a rating system, I guess mine would be 8/10 to 10/10. I don't have many DVDs (maybe six at the most), so yeah, not much to really judge on. ^^;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2