• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-05-30]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
And I can go to bed at a decent time with anime, but WoW can keep me up til 3.

I couldn't stop watching NGE when a friend lent me the box set. I spent all night and into the morning watching the first 18 episodes, crashed, woke up, and finished the series and movies. That was a weird two days.
enurtsol wrote:
S'why we don't see fan favorite Steve Blum / David Lucas much.

I understand it's hard to get them in the same room. Laughing
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
lol

"See you all next week! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!" ??

-Tofu
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
lol

"See you all next week! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!" ??

-Tofu

Oops.

-Zac

-It's me I'm Zac

-Signing this post so you know I am Zac because my username posted right next to this isn't enough to show you that I am Zac

-again just so you're sure, this is zac typing right now
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So far I have found only 3 ways to come out of an anime burnout.

1. Take a break.

2. It's crap season/year for anime and then suddenly some little show pops up that reminds you of why you fell in love with the medium in the first place.

3. Go back and watch the old shows you know and love. I used to be a person who would try to watch as many new series as possible (I've sat through some god awful ones) and I got to the point where I realized I'd be much happier re-watching shows that I know are good. Still in the process of going through my whole collection again and it's a blast. In fact even though some I'm watching for the 3rd or even 5th time I'm enjoying them more than I ever have. Maybe it's because I'm older so I have more of an appreciation for it.

As far as for why sci-fi is more popular than fantasy, to be honest I think it has to do with WWII and the big A-Bomb (kinda surprised Zac didn't bring it up). Clearly it left a big impression on Japan as a culture so I think the theme that grabs most Japanese is the juxtaposition of what technology is used for versus how it could be used (i.e. to help better humanity rather than destroy it). Also (and correct me if I'm wrong) but technology is one of the backbones of Japanese society (moreso than most other nations) so I think there's a general cultural interest. The fact that American fans seem to be more inclined to enjoy fantasy anime probably goes back to our European roots.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The reason is simple: fans want to know that the people handling their favorite shows are also fans. This demand can be suffocating at times, and often unreasonable; I've seen some fans behave as though if the company rep they're talking to isn't a superfan, they must be an incompetent greedy shill who's going to ruin their anime. Sometimes, I've seen incredibly incendiary responses from fans online when they detect that the company rep isn't a fan; it inspires anger.

I think being somewhat incensed that XXXXXX company won't be at least semi-respectful to a property is semi-justified.

Taking the obvious scapegoat (4Kids Entertainment) and their handling of One Piece. They tried to take the same formula they used with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and tried to apply it to One Piece. Fans demanded they either stay away from the property to demanding uncut Episodes. 4kids practically fucked up the property to the point where FUNimation had to salvage the property over one year after 4kids announced they got the rights to it. Oh, and not bringing over merchandising crap in Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh proportions didn't help either. As Yogurt once said "Merchandising! That's where the real money is!"
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
There needs to be more dragon-centered anime and manga out there NOW! One with a dragon as a main character and one that's preferably a healthy number of episodes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Wildarmsheero? That Wildarmsheero? Well I knew he was a huge lolicon but I didn't know he had a web comic (although I've heard of this web comic, I just didn't know he made it). His comic is actually pretty funny looking at a few of the strips. I'm not really much into web comics though.

Heh, I guess that explains zac's comment about the writer hating his guts.
I knew I'd heard of that name from somewhere. Good Lord he did get my blood up. Confused

I wonder if he drew this one after that thread? Laughing

Now "Errant Story" looks interesting, and for an OEL, its style is better than some Japanese manga I've seen as well. Shame it's only a web comic.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri May 30, 2008 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I find it kind of strange that I've been an anime fan for 10 years (possibly more if you take other things into consideration) and not only have I never had a burnout but I seem to do nothing but get more and more passionate about it from the time I first got into it up to now.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that even though I've been into it for a while, you could probably consider me to be pretty inexperienced. For the longest time all I ever got to see of anime is pretty much just Cartoon Network/other networks that we had at certain points, though I saw pretty much everything they had to offer. It actually wasn't until just a few years ago that my experience in anime has evolved past just that. To manga, to some of the newer stuff (mostly because of my introduction to bit torrent but also ANN has had a lot to do with that as well, so I still follow the DVD scene), and also to older stuff I never even knew existed until now.

So I don't know, I guess due to that there's still a lot of stuff out there that I'm always constantly finding that I like, and still have a while before I hit any kind of burnout. And even then I just still find it hard to believe I ever could because I've always been just that passionate about it, and that passion still to this day does nothing but increase. I don't know though, I guess it has mostly to do with the fact that not nearly as much bothers me as it seems to bother others. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Although I will say though that if you count certain periods of time in which you feel like you're done for the day or in which you just weren't watching all that much or that you'd rather be doing something else as a burnout, if but for a brief period of time, yeah I've had those. But I think everyone has though. We are human after all. Wink But I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing though. I think it just simply means you have other interests or more important things to do as well, which is a good thing.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Considering I've only been an anime fan for a few years I don't think I've ever experienced a burnout but I do go through phases. In some phases I barely watch anime and in others I'm obssesivley watching it. I think it depends on what I'm watching Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:

As far as for why sci-fi is more popular than fantasy, to be honest I think it has to do with WWII and the big A-Bomb (kinda surprised Zac didn't bring it up). Clearly it left a big impression on Japan as a culture so I think the theme that grabs most Japanese is the juxtaposition of what technology is used for versus how it could be used (i.e. to help better humanity rather than destroy it).

I once attended a lecture concerning the Japanese visual media's fascination with the Apocalypse and portrayal of catastrophe, and its effects on popular culture in the 90s (basically 10% "socio-cultural concerns", 90% Evangelion).
From what I remember, Nostradamus' prophecies became very popular in Japan, perhaps explaining how apocalyptic anime (mostly sci-fi) obtained its prominence, but I may well be wrong about that. I believe the bomb also had some relevance.
Perhaps somebody better informed than me can clarify on this. Confused

Zac wrote:
-Zac

-It's me I'm Zac

-Signing this post so you know I am Zac because my username posted right next to this isn't enough to show you that I am Zac

-again just so you're sure, this is zac typing right now

I've never quite grasped forum etiquette- whether or not its acceptable for me to sign off each post that has always been somewhat of a mystery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

I've never quite grasped forum etiquette- whether or not its acceptable for me to sign off each post that has always been somewhat of a mystery.

That was just a playful jab at Tofu.

I do hate it when people do that, but can't do anything about it because my boss does it. Perhaps I'll be a whistleblower and speak out for all those irritated by signing off on posts!

And then lose my job.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's kinda cute myself. >.>
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Wildarmsheero? That Wildarmsheero? Well I knew he was a huge lolicon but I didn't know he had a web comic (although I've heard of this web comic, I just didn't know he made it). His comic is actually pretty funny looking at a few of the strips. I'm not really much into web comics though.

Heh, I guess that explains zac's comment about the writer hating his guts.
I knew I'd heard of that name from somewhere. Good Lord he did get my blood up. Confused

I wonder if he drew this one after that thread? Laughing

Now "Errant Story" looks interesting, and for an OEL, its style is better than some Japanese manga I've seen as well. Shame it's only a web comic.

Thanks for the 'mistakes of youth' link, now I know not to wast my time by giving it a try. And 'Errant Story' does look good, I remember starting to read it a few years ago but never did get caught up,maybe thats what I'll do this weekend.
skyesage

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was about to point out Zac, that indeed the worst offenders of signing their posts are tempest (who I'm guessing your talking about) and abunai (who is also a mod, at least). Is abunai an admin or not...?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
After reading that rant against Dominick Deegan and then a few DD comics I decided it was time to send my first piece of hate mail (barring eBay related conflict). Jesus Christ that comic is possibly one of the worst things I've ever seen. The level of terribleness is striking but it's mostly the fact that in 6 years of production it has not improved even slightly. Both in art and dialogue it's still the same low-quality 12 year-old sketchy animu drawing and a messy patchwork of dialogue stolen from Saturday morning cartoons, fortune cookies, and Christmas cracker puns. And the alliteration, dear lord! the alliteration. I fear that this is too off-topic to keep writing about though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4