• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Roadshow Mag Shows 5 Dragonball Actors on Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
If they were trying to be accurate to "Journey to the West", then Gokuu should be neither white nor Asian....he should be a monkey Razz
subaru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Calm down~ all you die hard DBZ fans~
Bear in mind, they are not producing this film for you fans only. Altenation to costumes and settings are necessary to attract general public to buy a ticket and watch the movie. (Just like how they changed Wolfverine's cartoony yellow costume to black)
Can you imagine a real person with the EXACT hair style of Goku, wearing martial art clothing walking around on the street? How ridiculous will that look?!
I am not a die hard DBZ fan. I have only seen the picture of Chatwin as Goku. To me...... yes, he might not be the perfect Goku...... but the costume does capture the essence of Goku's appearance. I don't have any problem with it. As for the high school-ish clothings............ I think it's just a move to attarct more audience from the movie's major demographic group......... high school students.
I can't garantee that it's gonna be a great movie. But, hey, why not just take a deep breath and wait and see.......... its not like the movie company will stop shooting this movie because of the fans complains~......... Please make your judgement after seeing the movie
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
sailor:
Quote:
So the fact that whenever West City is shown, all of the signs are written in English, or that all Capsule Corporation products have no Japanese writing at all, isn't supposed to be indicating that it's supposed to be mimicking a Western society?

Key word is mimic.

Quote:
If they were trying to be accurate to "Journey to the West", then Gokuu should be neither white nor Asian....he should be a monkey

A monkey indigenous to Asia. Rolling Eyes

subaru:
Quote:
Bear in mind, they are not producing this film for you fans only. Altenation to costumes and settings are necessary to attract general public to buy a ticket and watch the movie.

The problem is there are no costumes.

Quote:
but the costume does capture the essence of Goku's appearance.

Not really, since his spiked hair is generally only pointy when he's aggressive.

Quote:
I can't garantee that it's gonna be a great movie.

I think it's gonna be Fox's Batman & Robin myself...

Anyway, as I've said before, if y'all want a DB movie that badly, check out Forbidden Kingdom.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
o_o and so the ugliness continues.

I have to admit, I think Chatwin's hair does look kind of odd at first, but I don't mind it, really.
Roy 747

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Okay, Yamcha looks pretty fail. His hair looks... eugh. Like noodles or something. And Bulma looks like she's out of "The Grinch who stole Christmas". Chi Chi is spot on, and the other characters are meh.
Jaice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
hahaha this movie is going to be so bad. hope you people enjoy turds.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:
Goku really SHOULD have an asian actor of sorts though. The inspiration for Goku, the origin of the idea for Goku's character is the monkey god Son Goku from Journey To the West. Even most of the ideas from dragonballs goku came from journey to the west. Also, oolong was inspired by that pig demon from journey to the west, and Master Roshi was most likely based on that monk. Although the idea is mostly based on the story doesnt mean it should be exactly the same, but Im pretty sure the original creator for Dragonball was thinking of something entirely different then the current actor for Goku.

Until Toriyama combined Goku's origin with Superman, of which Toriyama is a big fan. And Superman is a real American hero, even though he is an alien. So...... uh....... what are we talking about again?.................... Oh yeah, creator's intentions, who knows? Laughing
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Race has nothing to do with it in this case. All that matters is how Goku is portrayed.

And so far it doesn't look good.
barashin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
subaru wrote:
Calm down~ all you die hard DBZ fans~
Bear in mind, they are not producing this film for you fans only. Altenation to costumes and settings are necessary to attract general public to buy a ticket and watch the movie. (Just like how they changed Wolfverine's cartoony yellow costume to black)
Can you imagine a real person with the EXACT hair style of Goku, wearing martial art clothing walking around on the street? How ridiculous will that look?!
I am not a die hard DBZ fan. I have only seen the picture of Chatwin as Goku. To me...... yes, he might not be the perfect Goku...... but the costume does capture the essence of Goku's appearance. I don't have any problem with it. As for the high school-ish clothings............ I think it's just a move to attarct more audience from the movie's major demographic group......... high school students.
I can't garantee that it's gonna be a great movie. But, hey, why not just take a deep breath and wait and see.......... its not like the movie company will stop shooting this movie because of the fans complains~......... Please make your judgement after seeing the movie

Wow at least someone here is mature about this, but it's hopeless dude, all these people are hopelessly blind. There hatred towards this movie is to strong...

UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Race has nothing to do with it in this case. All that matters is how Goku is portrayed.

Wow it sounds as if you actually saw how justin portrayed his character? Amuse me please, how's his movie character like? and please don't tell me your judging it by his looks. It'll only make yourself look stupid!!! and no one wants that...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]
Quote:

subaru:
Quote:
Bear in mind, they are not producing this film for you fans only. Altenation to costumes and settings are necessary to attract general public to buy a ticket and watch the movie.

The problem is there are no costumes.

Just because you haven't seen any, doesn't mean there aren't any. Your thought process continues to baffle me.

In a shocking turn of events, hardcore DBZ fans are upset about a movie. Woah!

I think Chatwin's hair is cute. I still plan on seeing the movie.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
o_o many people will go see this movie, complain about it all the way to the theaters.

obsessive dbz fans are already signing petitions to have the movie canceled (which I think isn't really going to go far), even with Stephen Chow directing it isn't really good enough for the fans. Then they say, the "true" fans would boycott this move until this release.

The stupidity of people certainly do baffle me sometimes. Is it a bad thing that a lot of dbz fans are excited about the release? Does it make it a person any less of a fan? Not at all.

I'm constantly reminded of how elementary school-ish it seems, but...

Meh, I'm not really going to complain much. It's not ruining the series at all.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
barashin wrote:

UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Wow it sounds as if you actually saw how justin portrayed his character? Amuse me please, how's his movie character like? and please don't tell me your judging it by his looks. It'll only make yourself look stupid!!! and no one wants that...

So far I haven't seen him smiling or grinning like Goku does!!! Plus the fact that he compared the character to Luke Skywalker and that Goku is in high school is just stupid!!! His costumes look like he's supposed to be an Abercrombie poster boy!!! Exclamation points help me make my point better!!!
barashin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
barashin wrote:

UltimaShadowfax wrote:

So far I haven't seen him smiling or grinning like Goku does!!! Plus the fact that he compared the character to Luke Skywalker and that Goku is in high school is just stupid!!! His costumes look like he's supposed to be an Abercrombie poster boy!!! Exclamation points help me make my point better!!!

Him not smiling in this film shouldn't be a concern, neither does his comparison to Luke, that was his opinion. You watch the movie first than make your own comparison, or are you really that gullible? I understand how you feel, goku being in school does rubbs me the wrong way, but you've got to understand that hardcore fans such as yourself ain't the only audience this movie is targeting. Arrow Crying or Very sad You can cry, whine and be stubborn about this like a little kid, but changes are supposed to be made in order for this live-action adaptation to work.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well after thinking a lot about it, even though I'm still uncomfortable with Goku as a high school student, I gotta say that as long as everything that makes Goku such a special hero is captured in his character in this then I won't complain. And so far, other than having himself school bullies, I see no reason to believe he won't be. And even then, they might just be there for a brief moment anyways, and maybe even for the soul purpose of further showing how awesome Goku is, nothing more.

But the point is that everything UltimaShadowfax is claiming already automatically makes Chatwin's portrayal of Goku a failure I kind of find to be ridiculous. I mean, just because we haven't seen him smile yet? Rolling Eyes I do agree with you that a good friendly, fun loving smile or grin is a big part of his character, but this may come as a shocker to you, so get ready...... there indeed have been times throughout Dragonball where Goku hasn't smiled!!! Shocked *gasp* His clothes so far look just fine to me as well. I mean really, I've said it time and again, as have others: I really don't think the actual clothes would work well in a live action adaptation anyways. So what do they do? Come up with other clothes that are still Dragonball-esque and yet look like they could work in real life. Easy. As for the comparison to Luke Skywalker, well really, would you mind giving us an example of how he isn't like Luke in any way? Even though yeah, I'd say he isn't exactly like Luke or anything, but I could see a few reasons as to why one could compare him to him.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan: I've seen the set photos they took down, and those are more like work-out suits than costumes. Seriously, it looks like we're gonna get Jumper instead of X Men with this one. And I'm not a hardcore DBZ fan. I just want an adaptation which looks as good as what we get from Stephen Chow's parodies, not worse than that HK live-action DB...

tygerchick: He's not directing; he's producing. And if it looks awful enough, it doesn't matter how many fans it could have, since they won't even bother to see it. Look at the Van Damme SF movie.

barashin: It doesn't have to appeal to hardcore fans, just casual fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4