• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Romeo x Juliet, D. Gray-Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thank goodness! I've been waiting for both Ouran and RxJ to come out here for AGES. (I've seen all of Ouran, at least, but I only saw the first eight episodes of RxJ before the C&D.) Definitely picking up both when they both come out.

(...Also, I was sort of hoping Funi would get RxJ, because...while watching the show, Benvolio automatically made me think of Greg Ayres. I can't help but think he'd be great in that role.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Baka browser

Last edited by rankothefiremage on Sat May 17, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
ALL RIGHT!!!! THANK YOU FUNimation, We're getting the good stuff, maybe we could get Hayate or Zetsubo Sensei or Gintama next!!!

I'd rather see Nozomi get Zetsubo Sensei. They're doing a superb job with the niche titles they've licensed. And this is very much a niche title.

I'd also like to see TRSI get Hayate.......... not to mention the many geneon licenses out there..........

RxJ i don't know who didn't see this one coming, D-grey is a suprise a good one i hope they do the 13 episode sets.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know what's up with 7 licenses in one week by Funimation?
angieness

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh Funimation, I knew there was a reason we were BFF. RomeoXJuliet being released in boxsets also sweetens the deal.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
nargun wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:
Romeo x Juliet? Who DIDN'T see this coming?

Me. It's low-end B-list stuff like this that's choking up the pipeline. In the current market, it's only cannibalising sales from other titles. This is a bad move from funi.

I'm not saying this because it was either a good or a bad choice. I'm saying this because it was FUNimation MANY MANY MANY months ago who stepped up alongside GONZO even long before this license was announced and insisted that everyone stop pirating this show.

Wow, I didn't think there were that many people who didn't like RxJ. I thought the anime was superb, it became one of my favorites last year. I'm glad Funimation got the license. Can't wait for it to come out. Anime smile
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:
ShugoYotsuba wrote:
ALL RIGHT!!!! THANK YOU FUNimation, We're getting the good stuff, maybe we could get Hayate or Zetsubo Sensei or Gintama next!!!

I'd rather see Nozomi get Zetsubo Sensei. They're doing a superb job with the niche titles they've licensed. And this is very much a niche title.

Hayate would never happen since it's a geneon title and I doubt Geneon Japan would give it to Funimation. I'm surprised mostly by Soukou no Strain as I thought Bandai would be the more likely licensor.

I'm not too surprised with Gunslinger though since they've acquired the first series long ago. D. Gray and Kenichi the same thing since Funimation usually tends to take the longer series for some reason.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
nargun wrote:
MarzGurl wrote:
Romeo x Juliet? Who DIDN'T see this coming?

Me. It's low-end B-list stuff like this that's choking up the pipeline. In the current market, it's only cannibalising sales from other titles. This is a bad move from funi.

I'm not saying this because it was either a good or a bad choice. I'm saying this because it was FUNimation MANY MANY MANY months ago who stepped up alongside GONZO even long before this license was announced and insisted that everyone stop pirating this show.

Wow, I didn't think there were that many people who didn't like RxJ. I thought the anime was superb, it became one of my favorites last year. I'm glad Funimation got the license. Can't wait for it to come out. Anime smile
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote
for some reason i thought Viz would get D. Gray Man. i'm surprised at how long it's taking these Shounen Jump properties to get licensed.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
OH MY FREAKING GOODNESS!!!! Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper *MAJOR FANBOY FANGASM!!!!* Normally I frown upon that term, "fangasm," since I'm as much of a religious prude as I am Wink but I certainly have to get down on my knees and repent because I can't deny it: I most certainly had one, no doubt. Wink

Man, I've been wondering when someone was going to license D.Gray-Man! Very Happy It most certainly has a lot of potential to have a lot of success over here. It may not be in my top 5 all-time favorites like certain other shounen series are, but it most certainly is in my top 5 favorite shounen series, no doubt.

However, there's a catch. As much as I love the anime, and admittedly part of my excitement of it coming out is that I FINALLY have a chance to watch the anime series from where I left off (dropped at episode 60 due to inactivity from a certain particular fansubing group and fell too far behind), I just think the manga is that far superior to it. While it's got some of the best filler you'll ever see in a long running shounen series, there's just too much of it, and in a lot of ways it screws up the plot in ways that doesn't make it quite as powerful. That and just the general atmosphere of the anime isn't quite at the level that makes manga as powerful as well. Don't get me wrong by any means, the anime is still worth seeing, just not nearly as much as the manga is is all, and admittedly I've been way too critical in unfair ways to the anime. But I think more than anything, I'm in the mode right now that the best good that comes from the anime's license is the oppertunity for the basic name D.Gray-Man to become another shounen household name. Basically, my attitude is that if the anime comes to television, then no doubt I will follow it religiously, that's for sure. But if not, then I'll probably just buy the DVDs from where I left off, just to see how the dub is. Smile

Speaking of television possibilities, am I the only one that thinks it'd do great on Toonami? Confused I wouldn't mind it being on Adult Swim either, but from what Toonami's been allowing with Naruto and certain other things I've seen on there, there's really not all that much content on there anyways. The only thing that'd be a little bit questionable in my book is when spoiler[Allen looses his arm and his innocence,] but other than that it's really not all that bad. In fact, in a lot of ways Naruto has even worse content in it than D.Gray-Man does.
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Romeo x Juliet? Score! Thanks Funimation!
Animegeek86

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
First of. Very Happy . This is going to be sweet. I always knew that funimation were making the right moves and scoring the right acquisations. Now the only thing that I am concern about is the dubbing. If they screw up, then I'll be mad as hell. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, lots of big news here indeed. Won't be buying RxJ though, and I'm probably going to start reading D. Gray Man rather than watching it. But Ouran is certainly welcome news Very Happy.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Anyone know what's up with 7 licenses in one week by Funimation?

Maybe it is FUNimation's way of flexing their muscle and saying, "We kick arse!"
Satiety

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
LOL! Hilarious. FUNimation = 1st one to get it. I was wondering why none of the companies didn't get the license earlier. I wonder how this will be... Surprised
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6