• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windowleaf03

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
I just watched this movie, and I have a few questions.

spoiler[
1. Why is the painting important to Chiaki? He never actually explains this in the movie...why so?

2. What time period is Chiaki from? The movie never specifies.

3. Won't Makoto age by the next time she sees Chiaki?!

4. At the end, how does Chiaki disappear then come back to tell Makoto that he was going to wait for her? I thought he had already disappeared! ]

Thanks!
jetz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
1. spoiler[He just wanted to see the painting because it was destroyed in the future (during his time, I guess).]

2. spoiler[Yeah it wasn't specified. The only thing that was clear was that Chiaki came from the distant future.]

3. spoiler[Of course, unless they find another way to see each other in an earlier time.]

4. spoiler[Here's what I found in Wikipedia:
"True to his words, Chiaki disappears when time begins again and Makoto is upset. As she tries to come to terms with losing him, she discovers that with Chiaki's time-leap, he had inadvertently restored one time-leap to Makoto. She determines that by returning to the exact time she gained her powers, Chiaki will return and his remaining time-leap restored"]

Everything is in here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Leapt_Through_Time

Hope that helps Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
for 1. spoiler[didn't they explain that in the movie? chiaki even said that it was destroyed in the future and that was the main reason for him comming to the past.]
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
for 1. spoiler[didn't they explain that in the movie? chiaki even said that it was destroyed in the future and that was the main reason for him comming to the past.]

spoiler[Didn't he also say that the painting brought him a sense of peace too? Unless that was something else...or her Aunt said that instead.]

Sorry,it's been awhile since I last saw the movie >.>
Even if his reason wasn't fully explained,one can relate it to the famous Mona Lisa.Let's say it got destroyed.Yeah,to some people it's just a painting but I guess that others would risk to go back in time just to see the 'real' thing again.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
3. spoiler[My impression is that it was supposed to be a bittersweet ending. Everything worked out for the most part, but they would never truely be able to be together as a couple. ]
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Now hold on..... spoiler[I guess I can't remember to well, but at the end, does he even go to another time? I figured he just traveled to another part of the world and he would eventually return and they would see each other again.]
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
windowleaf03 wrote:
spoiler[3. Won't Makoto age by the next time she sees Chiaki?!]

Ishmoo wrote:
3. spoiler[My impression is that it was supposed to be a bittersweet ending. Everything worked out for the most part, but they would never truely be able to be together as a couple. ]

I overlooked that possibility, but on reflection that seems to be what will transpire. I suppose I just didn't feel any "bitterness" at the end so I didn't think to ponder over what spoiler[their reunion] would actually be like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anijunk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I think there is more to the first question.

spoiler[When visiting aunt Witch the camera zooms in on a photograph with aunt witch and Chiaki. Aunt Witch is also familiar with time leaping. So, I gues, he does not only want to see the restored picture. ]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Chiaki would spoiler[tell her they'd see each other again if it weren't possible. Either by him going back again to see her or her aging and meeting him for the second first time later on.]
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
anijunk wrote:
I think there is more to the first question.

spoiler[When visiting aunt Witch the camera zooms in on a photograph with aunt witch and Chiaki. Aunt Witch is also familiar with time leaping. So, I gues, he does not only want to see the restored picture. ]

That is an homage to the first book, where the aunt (Kazuko Yoshiyama) spoiler[was the heroine of the story. That's not Chiaki, it's Ken Sogoru, I would presume. He was that story's time traveler and Yoshiyama's love interest. ]
Zath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:

4. spoiler[Here's what I found in Wikipedia:
"True to his words, Chiaki disappears when time begins again and Makoto is upset. As she tries to come to terms with losing him, she discovers that with Chiaki's time-leap, he had inadvertently restored one time-leap to Makoto. She determines that by returning to the exact time she gained her powers, Chiaki will return and his remaining time-leap restored"]

That isn't actually what he's asking, spoiler[at the very ending when she turns around he has disappeared, then 30 seconds later he's behind her again and whispers it into her ear. I think he was either hiding or for some reason was able to come back for a few moments before going back to the future again.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1