• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Welcome to the Host Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow I never thought I would find someone who hated Yotsuba& Shocked Honestly I thought the first volume was kinda weak and boring but all the others have me laughing like an idiot. I guess we're all entitled to our opinions =/
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I've read nothing but rave reviews of this manga, full of such words as "irresistible," "heartwarming" and "outstanding." And for the life of me, I completely understand why. People like this good manga so much. We are so starved for a break from the endless psychic schoolboy angst stories that we'll lap up witty humor such as Yotsuba&! without question.

While working my way through volume 1 of Yotsuba&!, the words that came to my mind were "awesome," "cute" and "entertaining." As well as multiple praises and bits of laughter. The manga is about a small child that reacts to everything she encounters with spastic bewilderment. At the start of the book, she moves into a new home. Her new neighbors are a trio of girls who are prone to fits of hysterical sexiness at the slightest provocation. And so, we're treated to Yotsuba and friends engaging in such thrilling activities as ringing doorbells and going shopping, with lots of hysterical sexiness, and extremely funny "wacky" faces along the way. It's a very dynamic experience, and that experience happens to be one of light-hearted humor. You can imagine how that gets awesome very quickly.

As for the art, I believe Kiyohiko Azuma can draw fairly well, as evidenced by the charming titls page or cover illustration. He chooses to, as evidenced by everything else. Characters spend nearly all their time in "komickal" mode, which means their heads are rendered as featureless blobs with some minimalist doodle filling in for their faces, which adds to the lighthearted charm of the manga. And someone apparently has to pull the exact same cute "augh!" face at least once per page. Hilarious? More like extremely hilarious and rad. Our friends Detail and Finesse are also still in the building, leaving everything with a believable, simple, minimal look. This sort of art is usually glossed over with the euphemism "stylised," and it's high time someone appreciated it. The art looks like no effort whatsoever went into it, which is fine, since the purpose isn't realism anyway.

If you also happen to be a small child that is permanently high on life, or you derive some kind of understandable satisfaction from having your intelligence put to the test, I recommend you read Yotsuba&!. As for why it's so incredibly popular, I can understand that, and thinking about it actually rather comforts me.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Cute. Cheeky, but cute.
oldyoshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
Must be a prank review to be hating Yotsuba&!. Just trying to stir up the masses.
flyindreams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Interesting point about the live-action special ... I was actually expecting to see spoiler[Nodame's Mozart concert] in Vol. 12, since I ended up watching ahead of where I was in the manga. But apparently 12 is so filler-y that the producers had to adapt stuff from further volumes (and that's the nice thing about screen adaptations sometimes, they take out the fluff).

? If you mean the two night special that was out this spring, spoiler[Nodame's Mozart concert] IS in it... second night.

http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/nodamecantabile_LA_europe02.html
greyhawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
You do realize that the review for Yotsuba&! was NOT the same reviewer who did Ouran. Carlo is the regular reviewer and all the reviews except Yotsuba&! are by him. But the Reader's Choice section of the column is for people to send in reviews.

So the person who chooses which review out of all the submissions to post isn't Carlo himself? As I took it that he should have agreed with what was said, and that Carlo posted it either out of sheer boredom, or to attract more viewers. If not, then I'm terribly sorry.
That guy went by the name of "Vince" on 4chan if you must know. (I was there, lol)
Still, I'm not too bothered by it. About Nodame, I'm inclined to agree with Carlo.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 am Reply with quote
flyindreams wrote:
? If you mean the two night special that was out this spring, spoiler[Nodame's Mozart concert] IS in it... second night.

http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/archives/nodamecantabile_LA_europe02.html

I meant that I was expecting to see it in Vol. 12 of the manga, after having seen it in the special.

greyhawk wrote:
So the person who chooses which review out of all the submissions to post isn't Carlo himself? As I took it that he should have agreed with what was said, and that Carlo posted it either out of sheer boredom, or to attract more viewers. If not, then I'm terribly sorry.

I chose it but I didn't write it. I think our friend back there mistook it for my own handiwork.

and the whole point of RC is to present opinions that I may or may not agree with.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Great column. I really haven't been into any manga lately- the last series I collected was Death Note, so I'm way behind the times. I think I definitely want to start getting into Ouran (I LOVED the anime) and Nodame.

I think the person who reviewed Yotsuba could have given a little more evidence for their rantings. I can understand why people wouldn't like it- myself, I was *very* hesistent to continue after reading volume 1, but I was pleased that Yotsuba gets less annoying and more amusing after that. I also think that saying Kiyohiko Azuma is a lazy artist is VERY unfounded. My god, look at the backgrounds - in just about every panel there are so many little details, right down to the packaging labels on food sitting around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Prinnydood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
Regarding Mamotte Shugogetten -

Quote:
How is it that a series created in 2003 looks like it was drawn in the 90's with a premise ripped straight out of the 80's?

The series' origins date long before 2003. ANN's encylopedia gives a starting date of 1997 to the original manga.

I'm not saying that this was a good series - when this ran (as "Guardian Angel Getten" I believe) in Raijin's anthology several years ago, I was unimpressed. Perhaps this particular series was a 2003 'restart' or such, but Shugogetten has been mimicking Ah! My Goddess far longer than that.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote
Prinnydood wrote:
The series' origins date long before 2003. ANN's encylopedia gives a starting date of 1997 to the original manga.

I'm not saying that this was a good series - when this ran (as "Guardian Angel Getten" I believe) in Raijin's anthology several years ago, I was unimpressed. Perhaps this particular series was a 2003 'restart' or such, but Shugogetten has been mimicking Ah! My Goddess far longer than that.

Oh, okay, that actually makes sense. I looked in the physical book itself and it said 2003 in the copyright information. I'm guessing that means the date for the 2-in-1 edition, and not the series' original printing.

Tokyopop liessssssss. Razz
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
That's the year the series moved from Enix to Mag Garden.
midori kou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm still surprised that Tokyopop picked up Mamotte Shugogetten. The series doesn't have a strong following here in the US when it was first produced in Japan and even when Raijin Comics were around. It was just random, repetitive and bad.
Cardcaptor Usagi Doremi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
I haven't picked up Yotsuba&! yet, but based on reading Azumanga Daioh, I agree with the reviewer that Azuma's art is over-simplified, with some repetitive facial expressions.

However, if Kiyohiko Azuma can create such a fan-favorite type of humor and characters without needing super-detailed illustrations, then more power to him. Azumanga is not for everyone, but it deserves the praise it gets - I imagine Yotsuba has that in common.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm actually kind of surprised they featured that reader review for Yotsuba&!, not because it went against the grain of popular opinion, but because of that paragraph at the end.

"Unless you also happen to be a small child that is permanently high on paint stripper fumes, or you derive some kind of bizarre satisfaction from having your intelligence repeatedly insulted, I recommend you leave Yotsuba&! well alone...."

That seems a bit much, to me. I haven't read the manga so I can't comment on its quality or lack of it, but I get annoyed when people have this attitude of "Someone likes something I don't, or doesn't like something I do... they must be idiots! How dare they?!" And I see more of that attitude in the review then I'd expect from something ANN chose to feature.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
snl67 wrote:
I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I always find it funny when people go off the deep end when someone doesn't share their opinion. That said, you can mark me in the "Love" column when it comes to Yotsuba&! It definitely gets better after Volume 1, and I wish ADV would hurry up with Volume 6!

Seriously. Mine's been on backorder forever at TRSI. Vol. 5 made me laugh so hard I cried, but I was on an airplane, so I couldn't really laugh out loud, so I was sitting in my chair looking like I was having a seizure as I tried to hold it in. I literally had to put the book down and cover my face to get back under control. I really really want vol. 6!

Uh oh, I just checked my TRSI status, and now it has a release date of Dec 12 2012, which means that the publisher has put it on hold indefinitely. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2