• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Alabama 6th-Grade Boys Arrested for Death Note Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
*Sigh* Again? When will these kids learn? They're giving anime fans a bad name.

You can say that again. I swear, all those young dimbulbs are giving the other anime fans a bad name. However, sometimes I wonder why Deathnote was created in the first placed.

Surely the author knew SOME trouble would occur. When will these kids learn? When someone is hurt or worse? What a horriable sitution those kids are in. But they brought it upon them selves.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Would this be part of the "zero tolerance" policy schools are supposed to fallow?

It makes sense they would be cautious, but I wonder if these kids had a past history of causing a ruckus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
I remember the good ol' days before anime, where kids were obsessed with Ninja Turtles and the WWF...and back then you actually had to cause physical harm to someone imitating said programming! So it was actually a valid response!

Looks like we need to mandate who can watch what..EVEN FURTHER NOW! Only Don Bluth and Disney until age 14!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well, it's come down to the age of paranoia, as noted from a certain Green Day song. Thing is there has been so much that has gone on when things weren't reported or addressed. There are so many incidents that testify to this, and no I am not going to name them all, because they are already solidified into people's minds.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I know, but when would you list the entire staff of your school in a book?
Um, in a school annual/year book? Honestly this pretty strange. Think about it; arresting a child for writing down a list of people that he didn't like. I really fear that more than the fact kids are writing lists of people they'd like to see dead.

And I'm sure the two kids didn't just have this book lying around. It stinks becasue it's an invasion of privicy on the kids and it's just nuts to arrest them. The only crime they have commited is one of bad taste. They haven't done a damn thing except waste some a sheet of paper in a note book. Just have a think about what has happened here; a couple of kids write down a private list of people in a note book. There's no evidence at all that they were going to harm anyone. It's just a list. Then they get arrested. And it makes the local papers (maybe they were amazed that the children were literate?) I'm really scratching my head over this.
amannin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
--> back in my day, we called these little contraptions, "black books" also an alias for simple phone books before the advent of the all too popular cellular phone modulator O.o I swear, if it wasn't Anime, they would probably blame it on robots O.o......
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
And I'm sure the two kids didn't just have this book lying around. It stinks becasue it's an invasion of privicy on the kids and it's just nuts to arrest them. The only crime they have commited is one of bad taste. They haven't done a damn thing except waste some a sheet of paper in a note book. Just have a think about what has happened here; a couple of kids write down a private list of people in a note book. There's no evidence at all that they were going to harm anyone. It's just a list. Then they get arrested. And it makes the local papers (maybe they were amazed that the children were literate?) I'm really scratching my head over this.

I'm sure that they had quite a bit of explaining to do to their parents, the staff, lawyers, cops, etc. And this is what happens when people react to something they don't know about, which has been happening quite recently with these incidents.
Jaice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
i dont know about the rest of you, but i hated almost all the teachers at my middle school. almost my entire class would make their lives a living hell every single day of school. its an age thing. (i do feel bad about messing with them now, that is all except the religion teacher..crazy woman beat up one of my classmates)

this is a violation of first amendment rights if nothing else. (unless of course the notebook had an actual threat in it, or evidence pointing to the individuals possibly taking action)

sounds to me like some kids dressed a 5 star notebook up like a death note and wrote some names in it though.. watch out, the thought police will get'chya.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
They must do more than just write down names. Unless write down people's names in a note book is illegal now in U.S.

It is illegal, because it counts as a hit list. Listing the names of people whom you don't like in a notebook, sheet of paper, website, etc. counts as a hit list. Do any of you remember Columbine? Ever since then schools have taken things like that very seriously and rightly so. Even if these kids were just messing around and had no intention on doing anything to the people on their lists, they still made a hit list which is grounds for action taken against them. I mean, if someone told you that they werre going to kill you and you had no way of knowing whether or not they were serious, would you really wait until they actually tried? I sure wouldn't. In the end, these kids did something stupid and are paying the price for said stupidity. I for one am glad that the school system and law are doing their job at making sure their kids remain safe.

And, a highschool senior immitating a cartoon? That kid must have one pitiful life! Confused
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Even making a joke about a bomb can stop up an entire airport and get you landed in the security office for a couple of hours, that's how serious things are taken these days.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
sinisterorion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
as of right now making any real type of hit / kill list in school is enough cause to have you arrested / detained, and in probably most cases their just simple ways for teens / preteens to vent out a little anger, but there still are those that take the list seriously and later actually do act on it, and if temporarily arresting a student with a list so that they can look further into it and see if their really is any danger will help prevent even a few school shootings then I'm all for it.

a person before me said it best that it sounds stupid when you're just hearing about it, but when you or your sibling /child end up on someone's list, it worries the hell out of you for you or your loved ones life because in this day and age there really is no way of knowing whether or not their going to go through with it. When you or someone you know is involved in a shooting it changes your thoughts around quite a bit
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and if temporarily arresting a student with a list so that they can look further into it and see if their really is any danger will help prevent even a few school shootings then I'm all for it.

How about making it tougher for them to have guns? Rolling Eyes
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
wow. i'm more shocked at my agreeing with GATSU than the story. because really, once again, its just a case of people over reacting.

Cripes, America.

I'd move but Canada is on strike. Wink

Jaice- its a notebook that, if actually worked would kill a person in a matter of seconds. But you know, since this is the real world the kid would actually have to do something rather than write a name down...its just some sheets of paper bound in softcover.

Gee whiz, I wish I could live in their reality where the book does work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jaice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:13 am Reply with quote
yeah i have seen the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8