• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: European XR Awards 2024 Nominates Gundam Silver Phantom Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
It's a frustrating double-edged sword kind of a situation. They fundamentally don't seem to understand in some spots within Silver Phantom, what makes for fun/engaging VR, nor good camera work & presentation. At the same time, an award could potentially push them or other companies to try again with another new project. I don't want them to stop trying to get it right. More UC Gundam story is at least more UC Gundam story too.

....but I also don't want to see them keep making the same mistakes that a lot of these "it's not a VR game, it's a VR experience" devs keep landing on. As a VR enthusiast, I'm not being allowed some of the most basic accommodations that some of the most basic VR apps provide, and it's offensive.

Gundam Explained did a really good coverage of Silver Phantom on YouTube. He does a pretty good and thorough exampling of a lot of the issues I personally ran into.

It just kills me inside, when No Man's Sky runs on a bloody Switch of all things, and has some absolutely amazing space+cockpit moments in VR, and an official VR Gundam experience cant even properly replicate some of the things that even Robot Alchemic Drive got right on the PS2 back in the day with perspective & character placement. I want Robot Alchemic Drive in VR Bandai, with Gundams. Give us that please. The entire Gundam Build series is made for it. Or have a Suletta and Miorine hand-holding simulator between Persona style VR classes & lie to us during gameplay so that we know it's only platonic. VR has so much potential and for every amazing game we get, there's like 10 other "Wii Canival Games" waggle motion experience that doesn't really stick the landing in any of the categories it tries to touch on.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Didn't expect this to get nominated!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1