• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Macross Delta Anime Streaming Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:31 am Reply with quote
What was amusing for me was when the first character visuals for Delta appeared, I seriously thought the new Macross title will be girl idols vs. boy idols. Obviously that did not become a thing, but I thought that would have been neat considering idol anime for both genders around that time were at its prime.

In any case, BOY you can seriously pin-point the exact moment where Delta fell apart! I definitely agree with a lot of the negatives said. At least the music kicks ass especially the one where Reina and Makina start hacking. Cool
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
Personally I didn't care very much for the mostly generic JPOP/KPOP type of music, Ikenai Borderline is probably the only song that I remember from Delta despite having watched the series twice. It might be unfair to expect Yoko Kanno-levels of greatness, but the focus on elevating the divas in Frontier was what really captured me, whereas Delta's focus on the standard JPOP girl group was far less intriguing. And it's not like I'm against bands or groups, I love me some Fire Bomber.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:52 am Reply with quote
Yeeeah this one was preeetty rough sadly. Ikenai Borderline and Axia are the only things I really choose to remember from this show because everything else was not very good sadly.
It's funny Mirage was so overshadowed and lost in the show and it's ridiculously overstuffed cast that I think she became kind of an underdog for doujinshi and fanart creators of Macross. Mikumo was cool and funny in a sort of quirky way but even her character didn't go anywhere interesting.
The idol group as a whole were yeah, pretty bland. Their designs do A TON of heavy lifting but aesthetics can only take a character so far if there's almost literally nothing else to them. I brought up Axia earlier because by the end of the show Kaname Buccaneer (I did not remember her name I had to look it up) was one of the few characters I even slightly cared about because at least she got a lil arc near the end of the first half of the show that was probably the last poignant thing before the plot began to collapse on itself.

The worst thing is the absolute waste that was the Immelmann Dance though. He does that sick mech dance a couple of times in the really early episodes and I loved that it was this signature technique of Hayate's own funny way of piloting. Then after like episode 5 it disappears and he never does it again. Sad times.

Man though, been nearly 9 years since this show aired, crazy how time flies.
Terraziel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
It was always weird to me, as a Macross fan, as a Kawamori fan, and despite having absolutely no interest in AKB48, that I always preferred AKB0048 to Delta.

AKB0048 is by no means great, It's voice acting and character design are.... better not mentioned, but it is utterly weird, in the good sense. Delta feels formulaic in comparison, trapped in its need to be Macross.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is chief director and creator Shōji Kawamori somehow contractually obliged to jam love triangles where they're not needed? Sounds painful...

It seems like he really is. There was an interview back when the show premiered in 2016, where he said this:

“While the Saab 35 Draken is a delta shaped craft, the name for Macross Delta came from elsewhere. The name actually originated from the fact I had to include the three main elements from Macross, the battles, songs and a love triangle relationship, as this is something the sponsor were steadfast on having. Each time I plan for a new Macross series, I always think that it could be about time to remove one of the three elements, such as the love triangle relationship, but the sponsor always says no (laughs).”

The interview, in case you are wondering: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/05/28/shoji-kawamori-on-macross-delta-and-his-hopes-for-the-series/
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
My problem with Delta is how saggy it gets in its second half. It seems Kawamori and co. only had enough good ideas for 13 episodes, but still had to do two whole cours anyway. The compilation movies worked much better for me, and I was surprised with how emotional I got over the last one.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Terraziel wrote:
It was always weird to me, as a Macross fan, as a Kawamori fan, and despite having absolutely no interest in AKB48, that I always preferred AKB0048 to Delta.

LoL, yeah I remember watching AKB0048 and was simultaneously amazed that not only did some Mad Lad come up with such a weird concept but that it actually somehow worked.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The first half was definitely more thoughtful compared to the second, that's a given, but the second half wasn't bad enough to make me want to focus on the negative part since I've rewatched it three times, the last one literally 2 weeks ago (a friend came over and had been wanting to see it for a while), whether it was the first time while it was airing or recently, I've always had a good time watching this series ( more than all the others macross and the similar AKB's anime ) with its greatest strength within its musical aspect, many of its music and OST have yet to leave my top playlist.
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
"Overall, the story mostly stands well enough alone, but the ultimate conclusion in the second movie Zettai Live!!!"

Minor thing, but I'm pretty sure there's no way to square what happens in the TV version of Macross Delta with the Zettai Live!!! film. I won't go into spoiler details, but it relates to a backstory about a character's father that just doesn't line up. In other words, the Zettai Live!!! film is in the continuity established by the Passionate Walkure film, but incompatible with the TV series. (Much as the "Labyrinth of Time" short spun off from Macross Frontier is only compatible with the movie continuity, not least because it features a character who died in the TV version.)

EDIT - Oh yes, and as I recall there's a character - one of the Windermere pilots - who's glimpsed alive in the Zettai Live!!! film, although he died in the TV series. I might be misremembering that, though.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Not that Delta didn't have some good music (Kaname's version of Giraffe Blues was nice), and it was obviously very successful in terms of Walkure's longevity. But think it says something that probably the best song from this decade of Macross is Toki no Meikyuu, which isn't even Delta.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1