• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney+ Canada Adds 4 More Macross Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:57 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY CANADA has something the USA doesnt!
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay I gotta ask, what Macross series, if any, should I check out and in what order?
nyaa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:51 am Reply with quote
For me I'd start with Macross+, then Macross Frontier, then Macross Delta and the movies of Frontier and Delta and just skip the rest unless you like schlocky, turgid bad space opera because that's all that the early Macross series amount to. Rolling Eyes
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:
Okay I gotta ask, what Macross series, if any, should I check out and in what order?

They’re all worth watching, though some are definitely better than others, generally I’d advise watching in production order, so:

1) Super Dimension Fortress Macross - not legally available in its unaltered form. You can get it as the first arc of Robotech on DVD, though. 36 episodes. ADV’s more faithful dub is available to watch on the internet archive, at least for now. The show hasn’t aged all that well but it introduces characters that will appear in other series, and a lot of Macross’ foundational concepts. The movie Do You Remember Love is superb but again not legally available, but can be found on YouTube. Avoid the awful Hong Kong dub if you can.

2) Macross Plus - either 4 OVAs or Movie, both tell the same story, movie is shorter, but adds some new animation. Very highly regarded by 90s anime fans. Essentially stands alone, could start with this.

3) Macross 7 - the longest series, at 49 episodes, with the most OVAs, and a movie. I’ve only started this one myself, but seems fun so far. More of a focus on rock than idol pop. Features characters from the original Macross quite prominently.

4) Macross Zero - a 4 episode prequel OVA. I’ve not seen it yet.

5) Macross Frontier - superb 25 episode series, two great movies, plus short epilogue. Amazing music. Could be a good place to start.

6) Macross Delta - most recent Macross series, 26 episodes, two movies. Quite a few links to previous characters and concepts, more meandering story. Still good but not a great starting point.

Additional - Macross II: Lovers Again - non-canon sequel not made with the core Macross staff. Completely optional

Hope that’s helpful!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
@Doctorkev I am planing on watching 7, can you still watch it without seeing SDF?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@Doctorkev I am planing on watching 7, can you still watch it without seeing SDF?

I haven't seen 7 myself, but had lots of friends in years past that loved it as their first and only Macross series.

For what it's worth, I've seen SDF, Plus, and II and those are all pretty standalone. I get the impression that the other series are perfectly watchable in whatever order, but you'll get more out of easter eggs. Less plot dependent, more nods to other things/characters in-universe.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:42 pm Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:
I think Plus and Frontier are the most accessible for newcomers but most of the Macross shows you could watch standalone besides maybe 7 and II.

Quote:
The plot is mostly stand alone but it has some characters from the original like Max and Miriya where you might fully get the context around their characters. 7 is more of a sequel to DYRL than SDF so you could probably get enough context from just watching the movie.
Doctorkev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:04 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Yeah, I think you totally could.
You’d only be missing a bit of backstory and context for some side characters, but it should still make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1