• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Woman Charged for Allegedly Defaming Ranking of Kings Creator Sōsuke Tōka on Twitter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hapoga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Blantant troll post removed -Mod
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. I didn't realize the series was still on hiatus.
tinyirnfist0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Sosuke Toka has been accused of being a right winger since the manga was published. Though these claims are not baseless as there is anti-Korean sentiment within the writing. One of the kingdoms Gyakuza is based on Korea and the kingdom is portrayed as an antagonistic nation.

https://www.tumblr.com/inganikki/676635682494627840/in-episode-18-of-ousama-rankingranking-of-kings

However, I've never heard of Toka being accused of a pedo. Sad That is troubling if that is true.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the similar series the woman is a fan of is.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that Japanese "Defamation" law isn't about truth. You can sue someone for saying something that harms your reputation even if it's true. So these statements may be true even if Touka wins the case. But there doesn't seem any evidence to support the pedo claim.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I wonder which work he is supposed to be ripping off. Such claims would have exploded around the anime's release of they had legs. Is the author a far right racist? Maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Making baseless claims about someone is not only wrong, but damaging...

Last edited by 34678864 on Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
XSp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:22 am Reply with quote
Good subject to discuss something that most people don't really understand.
US relationship between law and constitution is fairly unique in it's stance worldwide.

US actually has laws regarding defamation and libel, which seems to differ state by state, but it's often not put in practice because courts tends to hold the Constitution and First Amendment rights, specifically Freedom of Speech, above defamation and libel law.

But people should understand - US case put in a global context is actually an exception to the rule:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Summary_table

In most nations, libel is a crime that is not countered by Constitutional protections - falsely accusing individuals or businesses of crimes is both a crime and an exception to Freedom of Speech protections.

Moreover, many many countries also considers defamation in general a crime in itself - in which it doesn't matter if what the defendant said is true or not. If it damages the reputation of another, particularly when it's done in a public manner, it can be a crime. In most countries it's considered a crime against honor, considering reputational damage.

And then particularities will result in bigger or smaller fines - such as malicious intention, frequency, how public the place it happened was, how many people it might have reached, if it damages an ability to work, do business, etc.

Of course, these types of accusations will always be judged in a case per case basis... it's not like democratic nations are arresting journalists left and right for damaging the reputation of a criminal or corrupt enterprise.

For the most part, most defamation cases are not prosecuted. Because in most cases it's pretty hard to establish intention, malice, and then you have considerations about it being worth or not to go through all the legal proceedings and whatnot.
And also, most people are not fully aware of what law has to say on matters like that, and since most cases are likely civil court level, and the offended would need to file everything in order for it to become a case in the first place, it doesn't happen much. It's too expensive for most people to pursue legal venue.

I imagine that in Japan, specially for mangakas, people in the anime industry and more public or semi public figures, lawsuits can be brought up more frequently because of past cases of them turning into stalking and persecution, bullying, when not outright threats to life, physical attacks, terrorism threats and whatnot.

Just so people are better informed on this. I dunno about the case in the article itself, don't know the mangaka, nor the title, nor if the accusation holds true or not.

This is also apparently one thing that Musk "freedom absolutist" himself don't seem to understand. We'll see if he has something to say about this case.
The recent spat with Brazil has a bit to do with this. International media has blown it completely out of proportion to say it was a spat between him and one specific Supreme Court judge in Brazil, but it was actually about local X representatives and Brazilian law, and it was not limited to a single case but rather a pattern of behavior. That behavior being systematically disobeying court orders.

It wasn't a case that was brought up by a single judge - it was a decision made using Brazilian law as basis brought up by federal police from unnamed (because the case is running under secrecy) victims. And then also considering other cases where local X representatives ignored court orders not only to block and ban accounts, but also deliver information relevant to court cases.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:46 am Reply with quote
I mean, the pedophile thing is bad and doesn't make any sense unless they think drawing a manga with a child character makes you a pedophile but it's kind of funny to see "right-winger" being lumped in there as an insult given how many Japanese creators I see are pretty open about their political affiliations Laughing
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:30 am Reply with quote
Really not sure why me making a dumb crack about "they're suing someone for calling them nasty stuff online? Wish I could do that when it happens to me!" was deemed a post worthy of deletion? lol
animaters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote
it's really funny how the label right winger is used in relation to japan because the bar between what is a right wing in the USA versus japan is wildly misaligned to the point each wouldn't recognize the other as part of the same camp lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1