• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime's Egghead Arc Resumes Next April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:39 am Reply with quote
Tori’s finally doing it, huh? This is for the best. Better pacing (for a while anyway) and the animation (which has been stellar recently) will be even better.

Also, on a side note, Crunchyroll will have to make it a simuldub, right?
AniMangaNime

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:45 am Reply with quote
Until then, one piece anime normal timeslots will be filled by semi remake of one piece Fishman Island Arc with less episodes like one pace and better quality.

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: NEW ONE PIECE ANIME REMASTER CALLED "ONE PIECE SPECIAL EDIT VERSION"

- REMASTERED VISUALS
- WANO VISUAL FILTERS
- CONDENSED EPISODES LIKE ONE PACE
- REDUBBED IN DOLBY
- WILL COVER FISHMAN ISLAND AIRING ACROSS THE NEXT MONTHS
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:20 am Reply with quote
They couldn't keep stretching out what was available any further. Surprised it took them this long to do it.
VelvetThunder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:44 am Reply with quote
I'd still like to see the cover stories adapted. I know it'll probably never happen, at least for this version of One Piece. Since the time skip most of the earlier ones have already circled back to fold into the main story, but a simple bit of narration at the beginning could solve any confusion.
Hey, there's also some spinoff novels to adapt too (I know it's a long shot).
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:57 am Reply with quote
Considering the pace it was bound to happen soon enough.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:04 am Reply with quote
Should probably mention that they stated in the announcement video that the Fish-man Island Arc re-edit will condense the episode count from 58 to 21 episodes. Which is a huge improvement and highlights just how padded the anime has historically been.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
I'm going to guess that new ED "Sailing" isn't just a cover of the Silent Mobius theme. (That's a really good song aside from the part where it sounds like someone is slamming random keys on a piano.)

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:56 am Reply with quote
This is wild. The One Piece anime has been airing for 25 actual years and this is by far the longest break they've ever taken.

Ever since Wano Country began in 2019, the anime has seen a serious increase in visual quality (though it can still be very inconsistent from week to week) but quality at that level simply isn't sustainable when you're delivering a new episode every week with no breaks. Frankly, I'm surprised they were able to keep the pace up for this long. Taking a hiatus gives the staff a chance to really up their game and continue to deliver impressive work without having to worry about a weekly deadline. (At least my assumption is that the staff will continue to work on the anime during this break, otherwise I imagine Toei would just be making filler episodes instead of re-airing an old arc.)

Frankly, I don't expect there to be much change in the pacing after the show comes back; the anime still needs to be careful not to overtake the manga, and that's even tougher now because the manga typically takes one week off per month.

Quote:
The special edited version will feature retouched art, detailing, color shading, lighting, and special effects to previously animated scenes, as well as a Dolby Atmos soundtrack.

One Piece Kai is at last a reality.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm really hoping that they'll stream the redo of Fishman Island over here as I'd love to see a more condensed version of the arc, but I also think this is a potentially good idea. Allow more time for the manga to get ahead, and hopefully allow the staff working on the show to recharge so they're able to keep up with the fantastic animation we've been getting.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
THE ONE PACE IS REAL!
Funny how fans on social media are now happy to get a break with the possibility of a more coherent adaption next year and a Fishman Island Kai to test the waters of how to keep the time slot afloat during possible seasonal breaks. Fan edits that cut precios Toei filler were seen as the affront before this. Hm. The Wano adaption of just 16 volumes is as long as the JoJo anime that gets 80 volumes in there.
Better pacing isn´t a given if the remaster´s ratings tank as the manga only released 32 chapters last year and 2024 is looking as bad: https://claystage.com/one-piece-chapter-release-schedule-for-2024
1 chapter has about equaled 1 episode over the last decade if things "went well". Wano moved slower for example regardless of movie filler and clipshows.

The LN the upcoming special will partially adapt and rewrite mostly centers around the early time skip and suddenly makes perfect sense as a promo for Fishman Island Kai. What effects will this have on The One Piece, a Toei-commissioned production? We´ll see but that is a 2030s problem. Why did the anime stop in the middle of an arc and not just march to the concluded finish? The best question of all.
This now leaves Detective Conan as the final weekly anime that directly adapts a manga (+ filler) after Naruto GT and now One Piece called it quits. The last of its business model!

Edit: Return to Sabaody + Fishman Island adapted 56 chapters into 57 episodes. Cutting the "canon filler" down so that 2.66 chapters now comprise an episode is still on the slower end but Frieren has equal pacing so it´s still absolutely reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:02 am Reply with quote
I know most people will probably love this news, but I've been watching the series every single week with my friends since I was in college (which was...a long time ago now), and it's going to feel...wrong not sitting down with it for months.
LucyFan998

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised they were able to not only continue the Egghead Arc in April 2025 (along with a new timeslot, hopefully, it airs at nights rather than mornings) rather than this month but to make a specially edited version of the Fishman-Island Saga that contains improved animation, pacing, sound effects, OST, as well as supporting Dolby Atmos. My concern is whether or not, there will be an English dub simulcast as well as the possibility of having uncensored moments that were originally censored in the anime especially if there's any chance of having improved animation and uncensored moments in future media releases (Netflix, DVD/Blu-Ray, etc.) of the abridged series. If this abridged series does better than what the anime staff did back when they worked on this saga in 2011/2012 in every way, then it would be nice for them to do the same thing for the incoming arcs/sagas. Overall, I look forward to it!
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:46 am Reply with quote
I’ve been asking for this but I’ve been watching this show weekly for 14 years.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:01 pm Reply with quote
This was like most fans calling since years.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
2.6 chapters per ep in this Star Wars Special Edition represents the best pacing since Reverse Mountain in 2001: https://imgur.com/7V9x8Dx The One Piece has to redo the whole manga, it just has to...
The anime has a higher rating on IMDb than Frieren. 9.0/10 What a bunch of Maclunkey.

Watching OP weekly broke me during Enies Lobby and that was in 2007. The anime then dropped down to consistently adapt 1 chapter or less since with Thriller Bark. There is no universe where I could have sat through that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2