• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise Gets Trading Card Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it's about time. Gundam War lasted a good long time (1999-2011), then Gundam War Nex-A hung in there for a while (2011-2017) despite managing to frustrate loyal players with its incompatibility with old cards.

Now Bandai seems to have a pretty well established machine for internationalized card games, since (at least as far as I can tell right now) Dragon Ball Super and One Piece are still humming along. Although DBS seems to have a thing going on with Masters and Fusion World formats (the latter apparently an attempt to pull back and simplify the game in the hopes of boosting sales...while still supporting the former), so it's not necessarily all smooth sailing...
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:32 pm Reply with quote
The news rubs me the wrong way, I've absolutely not seen any local support for their Digimon Card Game. I've got the vibes that in the Digimon Card community, they were hoping that Bandai would give better in-person support with events and other things, but they keep milling out new TCGs like a swarm of locusts moving from one profitable new game to the next.

And I realise Digimon is a bit niche but the card game itself is actually really solid, way more than I'd ever experienced the Pokemon one to be. There's no way I'd dare invest money into another one of these, and especially from Bandai at this point, given my Digimon experience thus far - and keeping in mind I actually find the Digimon one to be fun.
levonr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The beta seems to have sold out instantly on Premium Bandai USA. Probably from resellers...
YackDe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
It at least is less braindead basic than the One Piece TCG, but because Bandai can't help themselves this will probably become a casualty of them releasing a dozen other TCGs and will collapse within the next few years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1