• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Hunter Wilds TGS 2024 Demo Has Me Excited Thanks to its Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:08 pm Reply with quote
There's a funny moment in King of the Hill where the family steps out of the car in Phoenix Arizona and it's soooo un-godly hot outside, they say "This city should not exist. It is a monument to man's arrogance." I'm kinda feeling that way after seeing MH Wilds' system requirements.

I've been disinclined to believe that MH Wilds was going to run/perform well at all, after the technical nightmare that was Dragon's Dogma 2. I cannot even begin to fathom why any dev in their right mind would give each individual NPC in a scene their own cloth physics and bog the CPU down with something so unbelievably inconsequential that no one was asking for. And now the system reqs page for Wilds is saying the game ONLY runs with frame generation - at all. I'd like to remind potential day 1 buyers that when Dragon's Dogma 2 launched, it DID NOT have this GPU feature properly implemented. Furthermore, DLSS3 is specifically not available on AMD cards, and you are required to mod a game over to FSR3 if the devs do not accommodate for this.

I'm out. I cannot mentally process how it is even remotely possible that using the DX11 mode on Final Fantasy 7R, that it runs and looks perfect at maxed 4K 60fps, and the moment the usage of DX12 comes into the picture, performance just tanks straight to hell. It's excessive, it's unnecessary, and it's absolutely insane that a newer RTX system that can run Iceborne at maxed 4K 60fps is likely not even going to have Wilds playable above a low 720p 30fps (if I'm even lucky). MT Framework is an old engine, I'm not gonna try and pretend Iceborne is the epitome of realism and detail (but FF7R sure seems to be, especially when modded) - but what the hell is happening in 2024 when these devs are seeing that even current top-level hardware cannot run their DX12 game correctly, that they release it anyways!? The wattage requirements and heat generation that this all is mandating is insane to me.

....at least they're being honest about it rather than try and pretend anything other than an RTX4080 or better is going to have a bad time with it, like they tried to do with Dragon's Dogma 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1