• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Days with My Stepsister (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Yah, the show swerved before it hit the intersection some of us were expecting, and honestly I'm glad about that because the show ended with just enough closure that I won't feel robbed if it doesn't get a season 2 (and I'm not even sure how much source material there is).

The thing I'm most disappointed about is not finding out what the deal with Yomiuri is.

I will say that this is the talkiest romance that I've ever liked. And I'm pretty sure it's the only anime about a growing attraction between siblings (honest to god step siblings and strangers dammit) that I've watched all the way through. The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten might be just as sedately paced.

And I've got to agree that the artwork and the music are what tip this show over into the easily watchable category, at least for me. I'll be seeing if I can acquire the score for background music.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:02 pm Reply with quote
A nice ending for a great show. I hope we get more.

In the end I think I only had 2 complaints really. The early episode where Saki throws herself at Yuta early on feels more out of place now in a show that otherwise felt grounded, and the "Ethics" professor out of nowhere. Neither ruins the show, but both are frustratingly outside the grounding of the rest of the series.
Saber_51

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:05 am Reply with quote
Besides the observations of the Scream Man about the interesting sidesteps (Spot on IMHO). Lovely show.

Don't regret spending my time on it. Happy with what we got. Happy with how it ends this season.

Definitly worth a recommend for someone with an oddly specific request for a romance anime that fits.

*Remove from watchlist*.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:24 am Reply with quote
I was initially going to skip this one this season, and I'm happy I didn't. Compared to a lot of deployments of the sis/bro-con and "it's ok we're not blood related" tropes this has a very naturalistic vibe and fairly believable progression. I've enjoyed the saccharine simplicity of Pseudo Harem more probably, but this adaptation acquitted itself well enough.

It's nice that things circle back to the promise to communicate and work things through together. While we're left in a somewhat ambiguous spot (and Saki is a lot more committed to that uncertainty than Yuta is) it feels honest. It can be difficult to fully understand your own feelings, especially as a teenager going through a lot of stuff and with plenty of reasons to want to doubt yourself.

Glancing through the book synopsis on Bookwalker, it looks the the anime is already past the point the current English releases are up to (though maybe vol4 in Nov brings us in sync). I don't know how far ahead the Japanese original is, but it seems unlikely there'll be an S2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5