• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BBC iPlayer Will Stream 1000+ Dubbed One Piece Episodes in U.K.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finlands-beret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:38 am Reply with quote
Having read the article earlier, I love how the BBC are all "this is the only place you can watch the English version of One Piece in the UK!" and "this will be the first time that dubbed versions of the series have been available in the UK"

perhaps not realising/having looked into the fact Crunchyroll UK -then-Manga UK- have been releasing the DVDs (with the dub included) since 2013.
I'm guessing Crunchyroll won't stop with the home releases, especially not since they've been at it for so long?
Tao Jones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:59 am Reply with quote
finlands-beret wrote:
Having read the article earlier, I love how the BBC are all "this is the only place you can watch the English version of One Piece in the UK!" and "this will be the first time that dubbed versions of the series have been available in the UK"

perhaps not realising/having looked into the fact Crunchyroll UK -then-Manga UK- have been releasing the DVDs (with the dub included) since 2013.
I'm guessing Crunchyroll won't stop with the home releases, especially not since they've been at it for so long?

Literally says in the article that the dubbed version has never been available for streaming in the UK. The closest have been when Stampede was on Netflix here.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Thats strange, I dont believe the BBC has ever shown an anime series before (outside Pokemon during kids block and picking up the Dragon Ball Super series when Pop! lost the rights).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:46 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Thats strange, I dont believe the BBC has ever shown an anime series before (outside Pokemon during kids block and picking up the Dragon Ball Super series when Pop! lost the rights).
Dragon Quest The Adventures of Dai was streamed on BBC iPlayer
finlands-beret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Tao Jones wrote:
finlands-beret wrote:

Literally says in the article that the dubbed version has never been available for streaming in the UK. The closest have been when Stampede was on Netflix here.

The sub-headline "The BBC is the only place in the UK that audiences can watch dubbed versions of the adventure story", as well as these two lines:
"The BBC is the only place in the UK that audiences can watch dubbed versions of One Piece"
"This will be the first time that dubbed versions of the series have been available in the UK"

implies that this is the first time in the UK that One Piece has been available via any means.
When, as I said in my first post, we've been able to watch it since 2013 with the advent of the home release.
They might be trying to spin that angle to justify buying the rights and trying to get numbers boosted for the iPlayer.
finlands-beret

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

Not sure when exactly, but BBC 3 did a gag dub of a few episodes of Urusei Yatsura. But then, that was only two or three episodes, and it was part of a broader, Japan-themed programme, as far as I know.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:20 pm Reply with quote
finlands-beret wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:

Not sure when exactly, but BBC 3 did a gag dub of a few episodes of Urusei Yatsura. But then, that was only two or three episodes, and it was part of a broader, Japan-themed programme, as far as I know.

IIRC, it was about the time of the world cup in Japan, so they did some themed programming to go with the event. I can't remember if it was at the same time or in the run up.

They also showed Akira on BBC Two in that era, but that's not a series, so maybe it doesn't count.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Yeah, and had some weird edits including for text.
AniMangaNime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I love that now after one piece remake announcement by WIT studio, the writer changed the information at the end of article, from "Eiichiro Oda's One Piece TV Anime began in 1999 and still airing..." to "Toei Animation's TV anime version of the manga by Eiichiro Oda began in Japan in 1999." A little but nice details.

Thanks to writer Andrew Osmond.
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:15 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

The BBC showed the 1990 anime of The Moomins on BBC1 during the mid 90s when I grew up, although given that it was an adaptation of a franchise well known in the UK at the time and was dubbed, many people may not have realised that it originated in Japan ( I didn’t realise until much later). They also showed Monster Rancher in the early 00s off the back of the Pokémon craze as well. But largely not as often historically.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 7:05 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:

Certainly very rarely. I think this must reflect the BBCs concern that its audience is aging and so it thinks if netflix thinks One Piece is a good bet with young people, lets buy some One Piece.

Well, it'll be interesting. Among fandom circles I've been in in the UK One Piece has not been very popular; but no idea how it cuts through to a younger and less involved crowd.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Brett-Butler wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:

The BBC showed the 1990 anime of The Moomins on BBC1 during the mid 90s when I grew up, although given that it was an adaptation of a franchise well known in the UK at the time and was dubbed, many people may not have realised that it originated in Japan ( I didn’t realise until much later). They also showed Monster Rancher in the early 00s off the back of the Pokémon craze as well. But largely not as often historically.

Dont forget Studio Pierrot's Mysterious Cities Of Gold and Wily Fog which everyone says is a Spanish co production but is also an anime.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:36 am Reply with quote
Hate to be ‘well actually’… but Cartoon Network UK did air the 4Kids One Piece dub. There was a batch torrent with the dub episodes which used rips that were clearly from the UK and had the channel bug and links to UK only competitions. They even sometimes had snippets of commercials. Laughing

But yes, indeed this is the first time we’ve seen One Piece uncut in English in Blighty! Funny, considering the UK’s history of real world piracy…
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:

Certainly very rarely. I think this must reflect the BBCs concern that its audience is aging and so it thinks if netflix thinks One Piece is a good bet with young people, lets buy some One Piece.

Well, it'll be interesting. Among fandom circles I've been in in the UK One Piece has not been very popular; but no idea how it cuts through to a younger and less involved crowd.

Yeah anime's always been a hard sell in the UK other than Pokémon and Digimon. Something to do with having to justify the cost of the licence from the US, so most import shows for kids channels are often European cartoons and not anime.

But off the top of my head as a 90s kid (and through asking my parents), here's what we've had. I'm only counting the kid-friendly shows BTW, that aired on TV. (And yes, I know some of these are co-productions with other countries.)

- Marine Boy
- Some robot show my dad doesn't remember the name of, but did look like anime
- Battle of the Planets (the re-edited American version of Gatchaman)
- Star Fleet (more like a Thunderbirds style of show than an anime)
- Ulysses
- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Willy Fog
- Thundercats
- Transformers (various versions over the years of course)
- Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
- Dogtanian
- Moomins
- Pokemon
- Digimon
- Sailor Moon
- Card-Captors
- Beyblade
- Monster Rancher
- Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Ball GT
- Ultimate Muscle (4kids version of Kinnikuman Nisei)
- Yu-Gi-Oh
- Super Pig
- Medabots
- Hamtaro
- Shaman King
- B-Daman
- Dinosaur King
- One Piece (4kids)
- Naruto (very edited for Fox Kids/Jetix)
- Mew Mew Power and Kirby (aired years after it had originally finished in the US... I think it was on Tiny Pop)
- Pretty Cure (I think FWPC? the saban dub?)
- Inazuma Eleven
- Bakugan
- Spider Riders
- Dragon Ball Kai and Super

...And pretty sure that's about it.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:20 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Eilavel wrote:
WatcherZer wrote:

Yeah anime's always been a hard sell in the UK other than Pokémon and Digimon. Something to do with having to justify the cost of the licence from the US, so most import shows for kids channels are often European cartoons and not anime.

But off the top of my head as a 90s kid (and through asking my parents), here's what we've had. I'm only counting the kid-friendly shows BTW, that aired on TV. (And yes, I know some of these are co-productions with other countries.)

...And pretty sure that's about it.

Voltron got aired at one point. The same block with Dragon Ball Z also ran Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop (regardless of if those are kids anime, they were in a kids block). Rave Master also got screened later on. But definitely a decline after the early 00s, partly as I think the American animation industry at that time started to produce much more competitive material (Justice League, Clone Wars ect) which probably was simpler to license.

Sci-Fi showed some more adult stuff for a while, but then they tried to take it to a prime time slot and it crashed and got cancelled.

Its more One Piece in particular has never had much exposure here. I guess its an interesting test if online only fandom for the property has enough reach to get it the kind of numbers the BBC must be expecting. If your a fan, you've probably watched it? If your not, is "you can stream 1000 episodes" appealing? I don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2