• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Is Indivisible by Twins (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Love Is Indivisible by Twins (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 5 volumes, written by Shihon Takamura, illustrated by Almic)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Roll2

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: love triangle, school, twins

Plot Summary: Jun is childhood friends with two twin girls with different personalities. He ends up in a love triangle with Rumi, who looks boyish but is an otome (maiden) on the inside, and her twin sister Naori, who is a cute otaku.

Air Date & Platform:
July 10, 2024 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I made a joke about having a traumatized flashback to Made in Abyss while talking about the kid who lost a parent to a dungeon in the much less intense A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero, but I really did have one. And I had a brief traumatized flash to Domestic Girlfriend while watching this anime though that's irrational and unfair. But hey, since when has trauma been rational and fair?

Anyway, I thought this anime was pretty well done, and I'm glad that anime like this exist amidst all the same old same old, but I don't know if I'm in the mood for it quite honestly. Whilst slow paced stuff doesn't bother me the way it does a lot of people, I can only handle so much drama tinged with an air of quiet despair. I can stomach a lot of fantasy and sci fi and mystery and slice of life and comedy, but pathos is a sauce I resort to sparingly. And I'm already watching Days With My Stepsister which has a not dissimilar pace and tone to this anime. I also watched this right after Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian and the two didn't mix well at all. So I might skip this anime next week and then relegate it to Mondays or Tuesdays or come back and binge it at the end of the season. But it's not you, Love is Indivisible by Twins, it's me. Somebody who likes drama and pathos and bittersweet love should jump in and review or defend this anime immediately.

I will say that I like both sisters well enough - even the one who's in an emotional spiral between being selfish and sacrificing and self-doubting. I'm not so sure about Jun. If he's really so perceptive and able to tell the twins apart and so on, his decision to date Sporty seemed to come a little too easily. His seeming inability to get why she might break up with him feels a little weird to me too. Unless he's always been secretly in love with Sporty while putting Books in the Friend Zone, in which case he might know exactly what he's doing and might have spent a lot of time thinking about it already.

Or unless he's a schemer who's been drawing diagrams and acting out scenarios where he might be able to be with both twins at the same time.

Maybe I'll skip next week and then try this anime again on Tuesdays.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This one is not for me. Part of that is the fact that two romance shows per season is kind of my limit. The other reason is that the show is a bit too drama heavy, the slow pacing does not bother me since I like it in Stepsister but that one has a different quality to it. Again, maybe 8 romance shows in one season is a tad too much.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
...drawing diagrams and acting out scenarios where he might be able to be with both twins at the same time...

Please Twins! It worked for Mister Mike... Smile
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
...Whilst slow paced stuff doesn't bother me the way it does a lot of people, I can only handle so much drama tinged with an air of quiet despair. I can stomach a lot of fantasy and sci fi and mystery and slice of life and comedy, but pathos is a sauce I resort to sparingly....

This being anime it is very likely it will not end really badly for anyone, it is not Hotaru no Haka (Grave of the Fireflies) after all.

Edjwald wrote:
...Somebody who likes drama and pathos and bittersweet love should jump in and review or defend this anime immediately....

I wish we would get occasional "rom-tragedy" shows where there are also losers who do not get a happy ending, as it would be a refreshing true to life change from the usual fare.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:22 am Reply with quote
I would agree that it does not seem like a show where things would end badly but once upon a time I said the same thing about School Days so I can be very wrong.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Jun should invite both Naori and Rumi over to watch Kanojo mo Kanojo (Girlfriend, Girlfriend) and see if they take the hint. Wink
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Sergiu Celibidache reference? That is quite niche for an anime, since while he did have a devoted following, it was never particularly large, and his decisions on tempo were generally considered odd (if we are talking semi-obscure conductors, I rather prefer the approach of Hermann Scherchen).
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
A couple School Days references here, but hey, still good, I'm sure things will be fine.
Saber_51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:36 am Reply with quote
It started strong, but the latest episode felt like a drag to me. I am going to keep watching, but they lost a lot of points with this way of storytelling. The whole dynamic between the sisters is throwing me off.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 11:13 am Reply with quote
im catching up on this seasonal drop, and I just find myself bored with a lot of these more dower romcoms this season? I tend to like more serious dramas like Sing Yesterday to Me, but idk, I don't mind the leads all that interesting.

I get they are meant to come off as flawed and the twins are kind of self-destructive with falling for our male lead, but I feel like it tiptoes into them being a tad too emotionally manipulative and unlikable. Our male lead is also not all that interesting. I think I also find the art style more generic.

it's a show that I think would lead to a more interesting discussion than watching the show itself.
Saber_51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
Hmm, well. This latest episode makes things a bit interesting at least. If only for the fact that I kinda want Jun to hook up with the third-party here to get things over with. Honestly I get that he's bland and not able to make decisions. But so far the twins have just been playing games and Jun is just confused and hurt. This third girl seems upfront enough without all the history.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

And by the looks of things, that third girl is interested in Naori, not Jun. I honestly love this series and how it chips away at interpersonal relationships.... then again I also love Please Twins so maybe I'm just a masochist.

Rumi tells her sister to her face that she doesn't like her but by her actions she doesn't respect her which is worse, by the way. Rumi thinks her sister would be hopeless at love but 1 I think she's projecting and 2... how should I put this,... Naori definitely has two guys chasing, probably one girl and also possibly her best friend.... though I may be reading too much into the stalking and "eating you all up" vibes... but when I write it like that, I think I'm underselling it.

Regardless, this series has a lot to chew on, even if it has to be a slow burner by design; the creator: "In order for this to work, Rumi and Jun first have to date but without much love... for a year..."
And what's Naori doing for that year? "Stewing, mostly."
Saber_51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:32 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 7

And by the looks of things, that third girl is interested in Naori, not Jun. "

You were almost so spot on with that one.

On an episode 8 note.

This episode actually got some traction with me. IDK. Seems like things are finally developing a bit to the point that it's watchable. Although I must say. More then ever MC seems lame as hell. I mean, he doesn't need to be special and I get he does what he needs to. But boy does he need to develop a bit more before this season ends.

Although I must say. Rumi still playing nicely till the end of the episode. Girls got no idea how far behind she is already. Rolling Eyes. Premise for next episode is interesting though. Wonder what she might pull out of her hat.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Shiena gives Naori a birthday present, a handbag, a designer handbag, a designer handbag she designed herself, in fact there's another one because Shiena knows her "new friend" Naori has a twin sister...

If Shiena didn't want it to "look" like that then she shouldn't have it be like that. In fact, Naori only went on alert when Shiena denied it was "like that". Shiena designed the handbag after her cat, she calls Naori cat pet names and she just put her new friend in cat ears... literally, the cat is out of the bag already.

On the other hand, I think Rumi is gay and while she is in love with Jun, she doesn't have any physical attraction to him.... at least that's the impression I've gotten from this series. I alluded to this in my first post but I waited until I saw that shoulder head rest scene in episode 8 before I said anything directly. Oh Rumi, are you the type who is the last to know?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1