• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Just bought Given via E-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Picked up The King's Beast Vol. 13 from Barnes & Noble... along with the Stardew Valley and Neopets cookbooks. Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bought up a few titles from the Sentai store, a couple of which being heavily discounted:

Farming Life in Another World
Karakuri Circus
Granbelm

Not bad for close to $63, and includes free shipping for hitting the $50 threshold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Once again resisted a Sentai sale. It didn't help that the title I wanted most (Ascendence of a Bookworm) was "temporarily unavailable."
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:13 pm Reply with quote
From eBay:

Neon Genesis Evangelion Perfect Collection DVD

Kind of a "white whale" pickup, and probably not really necessary, given that I've had the Platinum singles for ages, and recently picked up the GKids/Netflix Blu-Ray version. But I have some fond memories of watching this version via borrowed discs, and owning them allows me to have the original ADV translation (which was simplified due to larger subtitle font sizes, if not liberally borrowed from the old Central-Anime VHS fansubs) on hand. Plus, ADR Director Matt Greenfield has spoken highly of the French dub, and I've always wanted to check it out, along with the Spanish version -- neither of those dubs were included on later US releases.

From the CR Store:

Video:

Final Examination Kujira BD
Futakoi BD
Futakoi Alternative BD
I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother! BD
Utawarerumono - The Mask of Truth BD

Just checking some items off the final wishlist, mainly some 2000s/early-10s stuff I saw on fansubs back in the day. Much respect to Discotek and Media-Blasters for occasionally going back to the well.

Books:

Hayate the Combat Butler Manga Vol. 43
To Love Ru Manga Vols. 13-14
To Love Ru Manga Vols. 15-16

I just hope Viz is able to finish their "sales are embarrassingly terrible, so we slowed down to two volumes per year" Hayate the Combat Butler release (2028, by my estimate) before some civilization-ending disaster engulfs us all.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Prime Day purchase

Shuna's Journey (Miyazaki)
A Silent Voice - Complete Manga Box Set

(I considered Ascendence of A Bookworm S1&2 and S3 BDs, but I remembered that I am patient and I know that, eventually, Sentai will have them in their sales and eventually a S1-S3 set)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead via Crunchyroll.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:28 am Reply with quote
From Sentai's July sale:

Call of the Night Blu-Ray
Chidori RSC Blu-Ray
Gourmet Girl Grafiti Blu-Ray
Himouto! Umaru-chan Blu-Ray
Irozuku: The World in Colors Blu-Ray
Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III Blu-Ray
Mitsuboshi Colors Blu-Ray
O Maidens in Your Savage Season Blu-Ray
W'Z Blu-Ray

Come to think of it, I guess there isn't a need to add "Blu-Ray" to all of these, as it seems Sentai's sold or otherwise disposed of all their old DVD stock. The only things that come up when filtering for "DVD" are a handful of premium / BD-DVD combo releases.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Zalis116, for alerting me to the fact that Sentai is having a sale. As a result, I ordered:

Ajin: Demi-Human OAD Collection
Ajin: Demi-Human Complete Collection
Ajin: Demi-Human (Season 2) Complete Collection
Girls' Last Tour Complete Collection
Mitsuboshi Colors Complete Collection (such a charming show)
Non Non Biyori Vacation
Beautiful Bones -Sakurako's Investigation- Complete Collection
Magical Girl Site Complete Collection
Girls und Panzer das Finale - Part 1
Girls und Panzer das Finale - Part 2
Girls und Panzer das Finale - Part 3
Dororo Premium Box Set
Vinland Saga (Season 1) Limited Edition

Definitely fills some gaping holes in my collection.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Just bought both sets of Fairy Gone via Crunchyroll.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Just pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of Tonikawa's first season via Crunchyroll.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Back in 2018, I saw a copy of the Amazing Nurse Nanako collection on sale for $90 in a convention dealers' room. However, I made the classic blunder of "I'll come back and pick it up on Sunday." Sadly, it was gone by that point, though I did come away with the Fancy Lala DVD collection instead. So to rectify that mistake, I picked up:

Amazing Nurse Nanako Vols. 1,3 (Amazon)
Amazing Nurse Nanako Vol. 2 (eBay)

Just the single DVDs, as the artboxed collection would've cost twice as much.

EDIT: Added My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax (Blu-Ray) via Amazon, since I missed out on it during the Sentai sale and it may be going out of print.
Blood- wrote:
Thank you, Zalis116, for alerting me to the fact that Sentai is having a sale. As a result, I ordered:
Mitsuboshi Colors Complete Collection (such a charming show)

I agree; I'd started watching a couple eps on HiDive, and decided to pick it up when the sale popped up. It's kind of like Strawberry Marshmallow, but without the questionable fanservice components.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Came across a used, but mint condition, copy of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.1: Thrice Upon a Time Collector's Edition yesterday and snagged it. That purchase prompted me to go full NGE completist and I ordered a copy of the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth DVD movie (with poster insert). This was a completely unnecessary purchase because I have it on my NGE TV series Blu-ray as a special feature, but I wanted to have the TV series, Death & Rebirth, The End of Evangelion and the 4 Evangelion movies all as separate releases.

I'm confused about Death & Rebirth. The ANN Encyclopedia lists it as 139 minutes in its entry. But the Manga Entertainment DVD release claims to have a running time of 90 minutes. And the Death & Rebirth movie appears on Netflix under the alternative title of Evangelion: Death (True)2 and clocks in at 69 minutes.

I assume the difference in timing between the DVD release and the Netflix release is that the DVD also includes the first third of the "new ending" (i.e. episode 25). However, I can't account for the ANN encyclopedia claim that the movie is 139 minutes other than perhaps it is a typo?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:40 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm confused about Death & Rebirth. The ANN Encyclopedia lists it as 139 minutes in its entry. But the Manga Entertainment DVD release claims to have a running time of 90 minutes. And the Death & Rebirth movie appears on Netflix under the alternative title of Evangelion: Death (True)2 and clocks in at 69 minutes.

I assume the difference in timing between the DVD release and the Netflix release is that the DVD also includes the first third of the "new ending" (i.e. episode 25). However, I can't account for the ANN encyclopedia claim that the movie is 139 minutes other than perhaps it is a typo?

The Death portion of the film was known for going through a few different versions since its creation. At least during its original screening, the big deal with the film was the addition of scenes not properly added into episodes 21-24 of the TV anime before they were added into later video releases of the series. For the original film (which I believe the Manga Entertainment release you got makes up), Death makes up 72 minutes of the film and Rebirth (showing roughly End of Eva's first half-hour) makes up 28 minutes for a total of 100 minutes.

The second version, called Death(True) removes some of the additional scenes added for the original version of Death, clocking in at 68 minutes. This would put the combined film for Death(True) and Rebirth at 96 minutes.

The third version, and the one typically used for modern releases of the film, is called Death(True)2 which restores some of the removed scenes that the True version removed and contains a four-minute intermission before showing End of Eva in place of the Rebirth portion of the original Death and Rebirth release. This release is also known as Revival of Evangelion. Putting the full package for Revival (counting the intermission scenes) together would clock in at 159 minutes (155 minutes without the intermission).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Seen that 86 is finally becoming available for physical release via Viz Media. Just pre-ordered the series via Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1402 of 1404