• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Franchise Gets Crossover Comic with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:59 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Anime/manga may have gained some form of popularity, but it wasn't technically "mainstream" in the same sense like we see today. Here, I'll explain how 2000's and 2024 differ when it comes to anime/manga mainstream:

mdo7 wrote:
I do think 2006 vs 2024 was a bit different when it comes to anime/manga's visibility and widespread mainstream popularity in the US. As I said, back in 2006, anime and manga were starting to gain popularity amongst some demographic, but not the mainstream level that we're seeing today.

I don't agree with this.

If you want to say "more mainstream now than it was then", sure, that sounds right. If that's actually what you mean, we're not even disagreeing. But to say it was not mainstream feels totally ridiculous to me.

People with no interest in anime as "anime" watched Cowboy Bebop and FLCL on cable. Manga completely dominated bookstores, with massive, long shelves of unflipped manga while non-manga-like comics were relegated to a small section.

And I don't feel like your examples have anything to do with that (Witchblade getting alternate editions to try to appeal to old school comic fans doesn't say much when manga in general by and large didn't do that; Tiger & Bunny not being as popular as MHA would be says nothing about anime's general popularity). I'm not sure how you could bring up DC's CMX experiment in the same post and not see that as an obvious sign of manga's success, even if their attempt at it didn't work out.

I mean, granted, I know this is a very hard, subjective thing to gauge which people will probably never agree on. There were certainly folks saying anime/manga were not mainstream back then, at the time (...and there are people who would say that even now). But this take that they were not mainstream back in the 00's, right at the height of the power of Toonami/Adult Swim/manga in bookstores, just feels a lot like...I don't know...classic fandom recency bias. Downplaying what came before for the sake of pumping up what we've got now, even if it doesn't need it. It's a take I've been seeing from time to time lately and it just feels off to me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sounds like that needs to change then. Not to mention you wouldn’t necessarily be making a japanese produced UY series solely for a Japanese audience anyway. Same way the Cyberpunk, Star Wars, & upcoming Terminator series while primarily being made for Japanese audiences aren’t exclusively being made for them.

[ REMOVED ] Why would you think Usagi Yojimbo would translate into anime when the series has not even received a Japanese translation let alone a Japanese release? I mean I've never seen in any record of UY getting a Japanese translation (unless it got fan-translated/scanlated into Japanese). [ REMOVED ]

About the other series you mentioned:

Cyberpunk (I don't know how well known it is in Japan before it got the anime tie-in, and to this day I don't know why it was chosen to be adapted into anime)

Star Wars (very mainstream in Japan, it already has many manga released in Japan, and you would've known about this for a long time. You should already know about samurai/jideigeki influence on Jedis, I mean George Lucas have said it on record, and if you watched Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, you would've seen how much that influences Star Wars)

Terminator (The Terminator franchise has influenced Japanese pop culture like for example that one character in Dragonball, Bubblegum Crisis's boomers looking a lot like a T-800 from terminator. Oh and SNK's Mechanized Attack from 1989, you're telling me that character in the game doesn't look anything like the Terminator or Arnold)

Putting aside Cyberpunks, Star Wars & The Terminator getting anime does make sense because both of them are very known and have a big influence on Japanese pop culture that pre-dated their anime adaptation. Did Usagi Yojimbo ever had that impact in Japan? Nope, and that why it doesn't make sense for it to get a anime adaptation. TMNT had a longer history in Japan because their 80's animated TV series got dubbed in Japanese, their arcade and console games from the 90's were done by Capcom, TMNT had manga released exclusively in Japan, and also a anime OVAs released exclusively in Japan. That's why it would make sense for TMNT to get a anime anthology in the same manner like Halo Legends and Star Wars: Visions.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please remember to be respectful to other user, even when you disagree with them. Especially when you disagree with them. And generally try to watch your tone -- this applies to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
TheOnePieceIsReal wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
We had MHA x Marvel, Naruto x TMNT...

Now where's Dragon Ball x Sonic?!

Shouldn't it be more of Dragon Ball and DC?

MHA x Marvel and Naruto x TMNT would be a case of East vs West. Dragon Ball vs Sonic would be a case of East vs East. Since Sonic originated from Japan first before we got things like Archie comics and the cartoons.

Dragon Ball and Sonic have a huge amount of similar characters and story elements that mimic one another.

Sonic, the Hedgehog is Goku. Both are spunky, pointy haired protagonists who can get cocky from time to time and are weird, almost alien like creatures. Both possess transformations where they turn golden.

Chaos Emeralds are obviously Dragon Balls

Knuckles is Piccolo. Originally a bad guy, this alien creature is the main characters rival for quite some time. They both have fairly aggressive personalities, and they both have this weird "guardian" theme to them. With Piccolo being part of the earths guardian who is responsible for the Dragon Balls and knuckles guarding the emerald, both of which are in floating islands way above the earth.

Shadow is obviously Vegeta. Same species as the main character. Anti hero. Has the same transformation as the main character. Need i go on.

Silver is CLEARLY Trunks. his character description even says, "Basically Trunks from DBZ." Time traveler. also the same species as the main character. Hair is silverish like Trunks, even has the same hairstyle kinda. Both are also super Saiyans.

Amy. Some don't see the "Amy is Chi-chi" thing that i do, but both were obsessed over the main character who didn't want anything to do with them. Chi-chi has her axe helmet, Amy her axe. Both fighters, but several leagues below the protagonist.

Tails is Krillin for sure. Weak side kick? Yellow/orange color scheme?

Yajorobe is Big for sure.

Gama is definitely Android 16.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Cybersix is a very problematic Argentinean comic that may have never left its own country due to... various reasons yet it got a highly changed TMS anime made for Canada in 1999. I was legally reading Naruto in Germany in 2001, a year before the anime´s debut. Ubisoft Montreal, Canada strikes again, made two Xbox 360 exclusives in 2007 and 2008 that never reached Japan despite Japanese audio being created for the game.

TMNT went "anime" in 2003 and that show had its own issues with 4Kids. A crossover in 2006 would have just been possible. James Bond got a manga in the 60s. DC and Marvel also got Japanese adaptations since the 60s/70s, Gekiga Spider-man is a hate crime, so all of this is decades older than me. A famous 1991 Jump cover promotes Kindergarten Cop so Jump has no issue lending its name:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 5:36 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm not seeing this on either Viz or IDW websites. Where can I preorder this (so I don't forget or miss it)?
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Also 2nd case: Tiger & Bunny. People have brought up My Hero Academia to show that superhero anime can succeed in the US today, but fans of Tiger & Bunny pointed out that MHA's plot are reminicent of Tiger & Bunny and the fact that T&B came out in the US way earlier then MHA. Fans of T&B have asked: Why did MHA succeed and T&B failed in the US if they both are very similar, and T&B came out a few years earlier in the US? The answer: When Tiger & Bunny came out in the US, anime/manga was not mainstream, when MHA came out in the US in 2018 I believe, anime and manga was just started to broke into the US mainstream hence allowing MHA to succeed when T&B failed to do that back in 2011.

If we're talking about superheroes, you must be Mr. Fantastic to reach like that. T&B was actually pretty successful, it got two movies (well one was a recap movie, but w/e), a spinoff, and a sequel (albeit years later). If it didn't catch on in the US (a claim I find a little dubious) it's probably because it was an anime original show about mostly grown adults. MHA on the other hand is based on a manga published in Shonen Jump, the most popular manga publication, and came out in 2014 (2016 for the anime), in a post-Avengers world where we were arguably at the peak of superhero hype. Of course it was going to be more successful.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:10 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:

If we're talking about superheroes, you must be Mr. Fantastic to reach like that. T&B was actually pretty successful, it got two movies (well one was a recap movie, but w/e), a spinoff, and a sequel (albeit years later). If it didn't catch on in the US (a claim I find a little dubious) it's probably because it was an anime original show about mostly grown adults. MHA on the other hand is based on a manga published in Shonen Jump, the most popular manga publication, and came out in 2014 (2016 for the anime), in a post-Avengers world where we were arguably at the peak of superhero hype. Of course it was going to be more successful.

Maybe I should clarified, Tiger & Bunny didn't achieve the same mainstream success in the US like My Hero Academia did, that bother some T&A fans because both MHA and T&A had similar premise and those same fanbase wondered why did MHA succeed in the US to the point of being a household name in the US while Tiger & Bunny didn't reach that same mainstream success in the US that MHA gotten. So that left some T&B fans a bit bitter. This is the same type of bitter resentment when fans of .Hack wondered why SAO did so well in the US when .Hack didn't achieve the same mainstream success in the US that SAO got.

But as you said, there were factors that given MHA (& SAO) a bigger success in the US then their similar predecessor. I mean yeah I agree that MHA being published in Shonen Jump is one factor, and the post-Avenger/MCU superhero fad may have helped MHA to succeed in the US's mainstream. I also think the year they both were released may have also been another factor to why MHA succeeded in the US, and why T&A didn't achieve that same success in the US amongst the mainstream demographic. I'll quote the CBR article that talked about the Tiger & Bunny and My Hero Academia USA comparison:

CBR wrote:
My Hero Academia hit during the era of streaming while Tiger & Bunny's 2011 release may have been too early. Additionally, with anime and manga continuing to grow in popularity and even being referenced more prevalently by various musical artists, especially those in the hip-hop community, the right timing could be another contributing factor in success.

So yes the popularity of streaming service like Netflix and I do know that anime started to gain mainstream appeal in the US I think around 2015/2016 (way after Tiger & Bunny's US debut), so that could help My Hero Academia (& Sword Art Online) to breakthrough in the US mainstream. But the point is that in 2000's and early 2010's it would be impossible for a Naruto X TMNT to crossover, the reason this crossover was to happen was because of the past US-Japanese collaboration, and I think US comic/graphic novel publisher have started to acknowledge that manga (& webtoons/manhwa) outsell graphic novels and I have to guess that this collaboration could be a way to cash in on that and to acknowledge that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:02 am Reply with quote
You know what I'd love to see.

A Wonder Woman x Famous Female Anime/Manga character

Same with She Hulk.
FishLion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 am Reply with quote
mrsticky005 wrote:

Pizzaramen, believe it!

Ramen Pizza? Cowabunga dude!

You have inspired me, that other person did link a ramen with pizza elements (that would cover pizza ramen) but now I must make a pizza with ramen on top. I'm thinking Chashu, noodles, and marinated egg sliced over a bacon pizza, possibly sprinkled with chili crisp and dipped in a broth too
thecowardlyantoine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think people are putting way too much hype and focus on a cheap cash in comic that will be forgotten about in a week like the TMNT and Ghostbusters crossover or the TMNT and Power Rangers crossover. These things are a dime and dozen and not very good
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:49 am Reply with quote
A crossover that should have happened 10 to 15 years ago. Interesting that they are doing pre time skip. Well, Sasuke is more interesting than Sai.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:02 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
A crossover that should have happened 10 to 15 years ago. Interesting that they are doing pre time skip. Well, Sasuke is more interesting than Sai.
sai was just a temporary thing.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Snip

Sorry for the late response. Procrastinating and all that. Anyways let me explain.

I am fully well aware that Sonic has taken some inspiration from Dragon Ball. But that wasn't my point.

My point was that TheSleepyMonkey said "MHA x Marvel, Naruto x TMNT" and then asked where's the Dragon Ball x Sonic crossover.

The problem I had with the comment was that he listed two things that were clearly an East and West situation and then asked for a crossover with two Japanese IPs. Especially since I feel like the Western version of Dragonball would have been DC comics, but most likely Superman. Heck, Death Battle did three videos of Goku and Superman duking it out because of the cultural importance of both characters and how influential they both are. Dragon Ball is the most iconic Anime/manga while Superman is the most iconic comic book and there's been no official crossover between the two icons.

But that's just how I view it.
light turner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:52 pm Reply with quote
thecowardlyantoine wrote:
I think people are putting way too much hype and focus on a cheap cash in comic that will be forgotten about in a week like the TMNT and Ghostbusters crossover or the TMNT and Power Rangers crossover. These things are a dime and dozen and not very good

You forgot TMNT x Stranger Things.

The turtles sure do get around.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:12 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
The turtles sure do get around.

They’re the Kevin Bacon of comic crossovers. You could play Six Degrees of TMNT and hit a lot of properties. Watch.

TMNT crossed over with Stranger Things, which crossed over with the Seven Deadly Sins in their mobile RPG. Two degrees.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4