• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aquarion, anyone watching

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote
Recently I picked up the first half of the Aquarion series. I am shocked that it is such a great story with well developed characters. Usually I choose not to watch anime with large robots and mecha, but the mecha fight scenes are action packed . I'm really looking forward to watching more, anyone else have an opinion on this series? I'm impressed.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Other than the first OP, I didn't like the Aquarion very much, at first I thought I'd like it but as I sa the eps, it seemed they were just trying to force feed the audience the story.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
I gave up on it, back in the day, because I considered it unoriginal, uninspired, and uninteresting. It's warmed-up leftovers from 3-4 other mecha series.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Also see This current thread, which is talking about the recent release of the first half of the series.

And abunai, I think you're giving the series too much credit if you say it only borrows from 3-4 other series. (See my review comments on that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I am watching it, too, and for the most part enjoying it. I do not usually watch giant robot anime, but I really do like the fight scenes, and the fact the main character is not some whiny high school kid pilot. It took a little while to get into the plot of the story ( I hope it is going to be less episodic now ). I have not seen many of the mecha series that were listed in the review, so for me some of it is new. Plus, the main guy running around on all fours, hunting for fresh meat ( with no preservatives ! ) makes me chuckle. I will definitely pick up the second half, or however Funi decides to release it.
Dubby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer , I have not seen many of the mechas listed in the review just like yourself. Glad to hear you enjoy it like I do Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the series definitely plays better for someone who's newer to the genre, and thus won't find themselves rolling their eyes over content; I won't dispute that at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's fun and all, but hardly anything unique. I'm not even sure why this show needs giant robots, when the human characters have super powers too. It's kinda like watching Gatekeepers (which was good), but trying way too hard to be a giant robot show.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have seen most of those shows listed in the review and I must disagree as it doesn't lessen my enjoyment if a series has elements from others. In fact if you take numerous things I love and put them togather like puzzle pieces you usually get....well something that's in my Top Ten Anime list. Besides everything borrows from something else if you're really nitpicky enough to locate it. Also I like the fact that it does take itself somewhat seriously because otherwise we'd have another Gravion.

Well, anyway I'm not going to say anything for certain since I've only seen the first set but so far Aquarion is extremely entertaining, as well as humorous, I'm liking it. In addition it's use of the combining-style mech (where it's in numerous pieces that all have to come togather to form it) usually is something I despise in a mech series and it actually doesn't bother me at all here for some reason with Aquarion being an exception. Probabally because of the way in which it's handled with the...."merging". Wink
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
NOTE: my 3rd ranting on Aquarion (2nd one for the day Rolling Eyes )

Dubby wrote:
Recently I picked up the first half of the Aquarion series. I am shocked that it is such a great story with well developed characters. Usually I choose not to watch anime with large robots and mecha, but the mecha fight scenes are action packed . I'm really looking forward to watching more, anyone else have an opinion on this series? I'm impressed.

I actually found the characters to be the worst part of this series. Especially Sylvia, she is one of the most annoying characters I've seen recent days. I'm usually a sucker for the short-tempered, bitchy female characters (Kaname from FMP, Ayumi from Magikano), but Sylvia's personality was just so forced that it caused me to despise her character completely. Commander Fudo seemed cool at first, but then once you realize that he's the same ol' "I have faith in the pilots that you simpletons lack" character who speaks in philosophical mumbo-jumbo and can read people's thoughts through their foot steps, I was yet again annoyed. Pierre came off as a character who was better suited for a shounen show with his soccer-moves incorporated into his fighting. Apollo wasn't as annoying as the other 3, but not much of an improvement improvement either. And I really was not digging the whole "reincarnation" thing at all.

Ok, I'm done with ranting about this show for the day... Razz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:17 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Well, it's fun and all, but hardly anything unique. I'm not even sure why this show needs giant robots, when the human characters have super powers too. It's kinda like watching Gatekeepers (which was good), but trying way too hard to be a giant robot show.

Emerje

Gatekeepers or Gatekeepers 21? I could at least sit through the original. I'm sorry to say as I watch more and more of this I'm wishing more and more I had rented it and not bought it blindly. Though I guess we can't win them all I suppose. While I love my mecha shows, even those that are clones of others, this one just feels too borrowed and too unoriginal for me. The art and good dub cast are the only things helping me to finish this at this point. After I'm done though this is definitely going in the guest room and not on my shelves with the good titles I display.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm sorry to say as I watch more and more of this I'm wishing more and more I had rented it and not bought it blindly.

Same here. I fell victim to FUNi's blurb on the box and I regret it now. The only reason why I'm watching the series now is because of the production values. Everything else just plain sucks. If Aquarion had been another parody in the vein of Gravion (a guilty pleasure of mine), I wouldn't have minded the uninspired writing one bit. The fact that Aquarion takes itself seriously ruins the fun factor.
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Was planning on seeing it glad to know that its actually not all that great
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the generally negative commentary about it makes me definitely want to at least preview it before considering any kind of purchase.

Although I must say I'm not one of the "originality" sorts. I kind of expect people to rehash concepts and reuse things from the same genre. I wouldn't necessarily call that bad automatically, it'd all depend on the execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1