• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mamoru Miyano Brings Charm to the Kinnikuman Panel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I’m pretty sure most people knew it wouldn’t e accessible. No way was a single “episode 0” going to adequately cover over 100 chapters/episodes worth of content.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I’m pretty sure most people knew it wouldn’t e accessible. No way was a single “episode 0” going to adequately cover over 100 chapters/episodes worth of content.

I'm wondering why something so impenetrable and unwatchable was picked up by Netflix of all people. This seemed like something destined to be buried in a fansub and gotten by Discotek in a decade.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Best: Before Sony took it down from their store, Ultimate Muscle was listed by RightStuf as being a hit. Plus, Kinnikuman fits into Netflix's macho fight guy anime roster like Baki and Kengan Ashura. I'm just wondering why the new one's not dubbed.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

I'm wondering why something so impenetrable and unwatchable was picked up by Netflix of all people. This seemed like something destined to be buried in a fansub and gotten by Discotek in a decade.

I could be wrong, but I always assumed that this is one of those cases where North American Netflix only streamed it because other territories Netflix (maybe areas where the franchise is bigger?) were doing so.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Everything went according to Keikaku
Amritzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:02 pm Reply with quote
They should have rebooted the whole thing.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I was at that panel. I hadn’t seen a single episode of the original anime nor had I read the manga. But I was aware of the franchise and was curious because what can I say, I too like muscles! Frankly I enjoyed the hell out if the screening and I’ll be watching this show while reading the original manga!
YackDe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is exactly what they should've done, the Perfect Origin arc is one of the most acclaimed parts of Kinnikuman and the perfect thing to bring the anime back to. Any inaccessibility issues are on companies like Viz who refused to take the momentum of Ultimate Muscle and turn it into anything for decades.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:00 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Any inaccessibility issues are on companies like Viz who refused to take the momentum of Ultimate Muscle and turn it into anything for decades.

Viz DID try to take advantage of UM's momentum by bringing over the original Kinnikuman II-Sei manga under the UM name & terminology, only for the manga to utterly bomb so hard that it was later admitted that pretty much the entire company looked at it as a massive black sheep (except for the people who actually worked on the release), & never re-released it digitally in the early 2010s.

Simply put, the UM anime was lightning in a bottle for the time 4Kids' dub ran on TV, and then once that ended all of the momentum died out, leaving Viz to publish a manga that only lost them money, and more than likely would have gotten its release cancelled without finishing if it wasn't already near the end by the time other poor selling manga at the time were getting cancelled in between 2010 & 2011.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
They should have rebooted the whole thing.

While this would benefit Western fans, apparently the original manga/anime is still really iconic in Japan, so I think they figured that enough people already have the story memorized.
YackDe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
YackDe wrote:
Any inaccessibility issues are on companies like Viz who refused to take the momentum of Ultimate Muscle and turn it into anything for decades.

Viz DID try to take advantage of UM's momentum by bringing over the original Kinnikuman II-Sei manga under the UM name & terminology, only for the manga to utterly bomb so hard that it was later admitted that pretty much the entire company looked at it as a massive black sheep (except for the people who actually worked on the release), & never re-released it digitally in the early 2010s.

Simply put, the UM anime was lightning in a bottle for the time 4Kids' dub ran on TV, and then once that ended all of the momentum died out, leaving Viz to publish a manga that only lost them money, and more than likely would have gotten its release cancelled without finishing if it wasn't already near the end by the time other poor selling manga at the time were getting cancelled in between 2010 & 2011.

Yeah, and a lot has changed between now and then. The manga landscape is more expansive than ever before, and people have become nostalgic for UM. Look under any post about Perfect Origin and you'll see people talking about how much they loved UM. Their translation of the manga could've very easily gotten a second life if they actually tried to put it out digitally as they were rolling out their app instead of leaving it in purgatory where a single volume costs an arm and a leg; much less when they could have given it and a translation of the original Kinnikuman a marketing push with an anime that's managed to land on Netflix. The fact that they've never tried again is on them.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Panel seems like it was worth it just for Miyano flexing his pecks.

That being said I grew up with Ultimate Muscle so I'm definitely checking this out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:29 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
The fact that they've never tried again is on them.

I mean usually if something fails once you typically don’t try again.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues: UY and Fist are lucky in that regard. Oh, and Slam Dunk.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
YackDe wrote:
The fact that they've never tried again is on them.

I mean usually if something fails once you typically don’t try again.

Didn't stop them from going ahead with their current Fist of the North Star release, after the manga previously flopped here three times (twice under Viz!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2