• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures Buys Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Chain With Plans for Crunchyroll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
Well, that's... huh.

That Sony umbrella just kinda keeps getting bigger and bigger, doesn't it? I'm not sure that their integration could get any more vertical now.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:07 am Reply with quote
The Paramount Decree of 1948 being reversed is one of those things that can't lead to anything good. I'll give Rothman SOME credit, his speech when he bought this spelled out the problem rather succinctly (tickets are too expensive because budgets are ballooning out of control). Still, a movie company owning a means of distribution is never a good thing but it might explain Sony's lack of desire to own a streamer that isn't a niche service like Crunchyroll, when they can control distribution through the theatrical end.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:41 am Reply with quote
It's so sad seeing monopolies build. Film studios owning theaters should've remained illegal
Thulebox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
Wait was nobody worried about this when AMC bought Hidive? I can only recall people being happy about that thinking it'll be good for Hidive.

Btw can anyone confirm if they've fixed Hidive after this update a few months ago? I had to cancel after 2 years of enjoying their service for what it was last month cause the slightly worse experience than I've had using crunchyroll became catastrophic after they blindsided me with the worst service update rollout I've seen.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:24 am Reply with quote
Damn. RIP Drafthouse, you were the best.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
Thulebox wrote:
Wait was nobody worried about this when AMC bought Hidive? I can only recall people being happy about that thinking it'll be good for Hidive.

AMC channel and AMC Theaters are completely different companies. Hidive was bought by the channel and has nothing to do with theaters so I don't think this is similar.

I will also say I think most people happy about that were mostly just happy that they were still apart from Sony and not all falling under one umbrella.
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:14 am Reply with quote
The worst part of watching the Sony monopoly grow is seeing how many anime fans celebrate it.

They don't care how bad it's going to get as long as they can watch all their anime in one place.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:30 am Reply with quote
Let's see: Sony owns more than one company that licenses anime, owns a streaming service where people watch it, owns an online retailer where people buy it, and now will own physical locations where they watch it.

There seems to be a trend here. I guess what remains to be seen is if will also follow suit where the people running it before stayed on for around a year, and then after they depart, Sony decides that the Alamo chain's audience "aligns" so well that it should be renamed the Crunchyroll threaters
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Let's see: Sony owns more than one company that licenses anime, owns a streaming service where people watch it, owns an online retailer where people buy it, and now will own physical locations where they watch it.

There seems to be a trend here. I guess what remains to be seen is if will also follow suit where the people running it before stayed on for around a year, and then after they depart, Sony decides that the Alamo chain's audience "aligns" so well that it should be renamed the Crunchyroll threaters

Sony still wants to show American films (they own a whole studio that makes them) as well as movies from the rest of the world at these places so the Crunchyroll name would be a bad fit. It's more likely that the Sony Theaters name would be revived.
VirgilTB4
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Alamo Drafthouse was only available to buy because they were not doing well financially. That'll be the first thing Sony will try to fix, which will mean significant changes. If that doesn't work to make it profitable either it'll be sold again or, like Right Stuf, shutdown.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Oh, it's even worse than that - cause remember, Sony also literally owns one of the biggest companies that PRODUCE and not just license anime under their umbrella with Aniplex - so no other service get their licenses, along with the animation studios right under it's belt to make the content just for themselves - such as A-1 Pictures and Cloverworks.

That's one deep vertical hole.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:12 pm Reply with quote
VirgilTB4 wrote:
Alamo Drafthouse was only available to buy because they were not doing well financially. That'll be the first thing Sony will try to fix, which will mean significant changes. If that doesn't work to make it profitable either it'll be sold again or, like Right Stuf, shutdown.

Right Stuf was rebranded, not shutdown. The CR store still ships from Iowa.
Thulebox

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
Thulebox wrote:

AMC channel and AMC Theaters are completely different companies. Hidive was bought by the channel and has nothing to do with theaters so I don't think this is similar.

I will also say I think most people happy about that were mostly just happy that they were still apart from Sony and not all falling under one umbrella.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm stupid and have to get reminded they're different every few years
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Still remember this funny PSA before every movie at the Alamo Drafthouse Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

Quote:
We do not tolerate people that talk or text in the theater. In fact, before every film we have several warnings on screen to prevent such happenings. Occasionally, someone doesn't follow the rules, and we do, in fact, kick their asses out of our theater.

This video is an actual voicemail from a woman that was kicked out of one of our Austin theaters. Thanks, anonymous woman, for being awesome – from all of us here at your favorite theater in the Magnited States of America.
Twage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
VirgilTB4 wrote:

Right Stuf was rebranded, not shutdown. The CR store still ships from Iowa.

With the exception of Shawne, the same people still run the store, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2