• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen, My Hero Academia Manga Both Take 2-Week Breaks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wangen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 10:41 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Please don't self-promote. -TK]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope Gege fully recovers and strains himself less.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The authors have earned it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Hoping they both take care of themselves. All their fans will understand; there are no stories without them.
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:15 am Reply with quote
I can't stop of thinking of the dual interview from 2018 with Horikoshi and Oda, where Oda said to him go for 50 volumes. where Horikoshi answer you think i can do 10 years?

we are now just a few weeks away from the 10 years, and yes it is most likely not gonna be 50 volumes, i think we only have like max 20 chapters left. but i think in some ways that comment from Oda has stucked with him in some way
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:24 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Hoping they both take care of themselves. All their fans will understand; there are no stories without them.

If only that was true...some fans are impatient after all
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
ah so it’s illness borne of exhaustion?
I really wish mangaka were given the lenience to dictate schedules that work around their health. I was amazed to read an older CLAMP manga the other day and learn one of the members had back pain and it turned out to be a vertebral stress fracture from hunching over the desk so much to draw and make their deadlines.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
These weekly releases are unsustainable, to many mangakas becoming ill. But is Japan and shonen jump, they won't do anything, and is sad and infurating to see.
Turtleboy76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Maleko Ai wrote:
These weekly releases are unsustainable, to many mangakas becoming ill. But is Japan and shonen jump, they won't do anything, and is sad and infurating to see.

I mean you say that, i look back at Naruto. Ran for 15 years straight and in that time Kishimoto was sick THREE TIMES in that entire run. Are the new age authors just weaker at this point? Gege's art isnt even insanely good either, especially the latest chapter.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:29 am Reply with quote
Turtleboy76 wrote:
Maleko Ai wrote:

I mean you say that, i look back at Naruto. Ran for 15 years straight and in that time Kishimoto was sick THREE TIMES in that entire run. Are the new age authors just weaker at this point? Gege's art isnt even insanely good either, especially the latest chapter.

Tbh I think Kishimoto’s powered through a lot of illness. Doesn’t mean every manga artist should, though. Not everyone is able to make it into the office when seriously ill. Or even crawl to their drawing desk/WFH setup with flu. I for example have stomach problems exacerbated by my body sometimes deciding it’s intolerant to certain foods. Sometimes it’ll be mild bellyache and sometimes it’s the worst stomach pain imaginable. I really have to be careful. But the workplace really needs to adjust itself to chronically ill and disabled people. We’re able to work, just have some clemency for us. Be understanding. I’ve worked too many jobs where they are punitive AF and it feels more like you’re at school than an adult with a job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1