• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Street Fighter 6 Game Reveals Year 2 DLC Characters Terry, Mai, Elena, M. Bison

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I would’ve rather they chose Blue Mary instead of Mai.

Considering Mai was already a guest character in two DoA games.

And of course Capcom couldn’t resist bringing back Bison.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I wondered if Capcom would be the one to resist having guest characters forever, but it's happening. If anything, I figured we'd see Ryu in King of Fighters first.

This is good news for SNK more than anything.

I am hoping there is a good framing device to make bringing back Bison again interesting, without him eating up story space that could go to newer characters.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kind of feeling ambivalent about this announcement. While I'm a big SNK fan, I'm usually not crazy about guest fighters outside crossover games. Also feeling the sting of needing to wait more than a year before there is a chance any of my old favorites might return.

Probably doesn't help that I watched the new character trailers for next year's City of the Wolves first. More excited for a potential Mai appearance there since she would likely have an updated design and gameplay.
YackDe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Never understood the excitement about guest characters. Would much rather have characters like Remy or Eagle who have fallen to the wayside and could use a revamp.
light turner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Would be more interesting if Capcom vs. SNK didn't already happen ages ago. But cool to see nevertheless even if I don't play SF6.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Never understood the excitement about guest characters. Would much rather have characters like Remy or Eagle who have fallen to the wayside and could use a revamp.

A big reason why few suspected this was likely, despite guest characters being trendy. Street Fighter doesn't really need the help and why give those slots to less popular games when they've got so much of their own to draw from? Then again, Tekken had Geese...

Not that I'm actually complaining here. I stopped playing SF6 a while ago and I'll probably go back to it for this. I'll admit, they got me.

Although this reminds me: It's heavily hinted that Capcom Fighting All-Stars would've had an SNK guest character (usually suspected to be K'). But that game never came out, so it didn't happen. So I suppose this was actually a long time coming.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I'd have never imagined that Street Fighter would join the list of fighting games with guest characters, though to be fair, I find actually kind of appropriate that Terry and Mai are the ones included, considering that the original Fatal Fury game was directed by the same person who directed the orignal Street Fighter. I hope this means that perhaps we'll see a Capcom vs. SNK 3 or that there's a Capcom/Street Fighter team in The King of Fighters
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:48 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:

How can you not? This is awesome news! We may not ever get Capcom vs SNK again, but this might have the potential to be the next big thing.
Though I do agree with one commenter that I would have preferred Blue Mary over Mai, but I guess because Mai is so dang popular for some reason.

And of course, we can't forget Geese and Akuma were both in Tekken 7.
Same with Ryu and Terry in Smash Ultimate.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping that Sakura or Akira would be brought over from SFV for Year 2, but considering that Mai is one of my mains in KOF, I'm very happy about this announcement Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Kind of feeling ambivalent about this announcement. While I'm a big SNK fan, I'm usually not crazy about guest fighters outside crossover games.

SNK was one of the first companies that started this trend by having Ryo be a fightable and playable character in Fatal Fury Special.
Wangen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

No one cares about Blue Mary.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:07 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
SNK was one of the first companies that started this trend by having Ryo be a fightable and playable character in Fatal Fury Special.

I'm aware. I had already been playing SNK games at my local arcade by then. That first guest appearance was awesome since it was novel; and tied the lore together between Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. Then Geese appeared in Art of Fighting 2 and ultimately we got KoF '94. Great times.

However, in the many years since then my perception of guest characters has changed considerably.
YackDe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

No one cares about Blue Mary.

Plenty of people care about Blue Mary. She better show up in City of the Wolves with her Memories of Stray Wolves look.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I’ll always appreciate when we get full on anime trailers for video games.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:15 pm Reply with quote
As far as guest characters go, these are pretty reasonable (plus, hey, more Mai). And of course Bison inevitably returns.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2