• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Dragon Gangster Drivers And Rusty Riding Rabbits

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The proof is in the pudding, or whatever the current phrasing is, but I don't hold out much hope for a Yakuza show. The magic of those games- at least, the ones I've played- is the tonal shift between the testosterone-filled drama of the main game and the wide gamut of tones in the substories. Thats a specific benefit of a game structure, so I'm not sure how any other media is going to translate it well.
That Little Rapscallion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's going to be weird seeing such a wholesome dude best known for chomping on milk candies and arguing with a sentient belt with an LED face on it playing a dude best known for busting heads, dramatically ripping his shirt off and saying "trans rights".

Uh, are we talking about the same Kiryu who beats up many trans people and belongs in one of perhaps the most transphobic game series of all time?

I imagine the Amazon adaption will be fairly mundane like most other live-action adaptions are though. Nothing crazy weird like the Pleasure King or Mr. Libido or Ulala. But one can hope.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:35 pm Reply with quote
That Little Rapscallion wrote:
Quote:
It's going to be weird seeing such a wholesome dude best known for chomping on milk candies and arguing with a sentient belt with an LED face on it playing a dude best known for busting heads, dramatically ripping his shirt off and saying "trans rights".

Uh, are we talking about the same Kiryu who beats up many trans people and belongs in one of perhaps the most transphobic game series of all time?

I imagine the Amazon adaption will be fairly mundane like most other live-action adaptions are though. Nothing crazy weird like the Pleasure King or Mr. Libido or Ulala. But one can hope.

You sure? That one sidequest got removed and the overseas included the one where he accepts a trans woman's desires.

Or the other games have other glaring examples of it?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Or the other games have other glaring examples of it?

One of the antagonists of the real estate side quests in 0 (whom you have to fight as Kiryu) is a trans woman if I recall correctly.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Keighley's Annual Borefest is in swing and nobody cares other than hearing how much he charges for space (500K for a Youtube stream is a ripoff). Dude is just making the same hype culture mistakes as E3. And he wonders why everybody hates him.

And especially since he claims "light" SGF when we have stuff like the Clock Tower remaster, a remaster of The Thing, and 2K accidentally revealing Civilization VII early. Though of course Hollow Knight fans are still begging for Silksong

Anyway, might pop in over the week if something big shows up. On the lookout for the weird and unsung
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:15 pm Reply with quote
only one of that list was at game fes
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
You can tell how big the popularity of Yakuza/Like a Dragon has gotten internationally that everyone who saw the trailer for Rusty Rabbit immediately went "Rabbit Kiryu."
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:18 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the 2007 live-action Miike film and finding it not that bad. It managed to capture some of the camp humor from the games though I kind of wanted more outlandish scenarios looking back. I hope the new series can do a decent job if not better and won't be the typical 'serious' live-action adaption. It's not really Yakuza if Kiryu isn't renting gravue DVDs, raising hostesses, beating people up, or adult men in diapers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1