• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Video Game Review

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, though there are some points I hold grievance with, like in both versions, why couldn't they have had that moment with Frankie and the wedding ring play out like this? That's almost as aggravating as slogging through the Hall of Records in The Neverhood, though I at least had the option to bypass that in ScummVM.

Also, I'm not exactly digging the remastered soundtrack. Sure, the instrumentation is more "realisitic," but between the original version of Glitzville's theme and the remade one, the former is a lot catchier. I will admit the updated graphics are great, though. But I really wish the Bump Attack badge was re-tooled to be acquired a lot sooner, because having to deal with weaker enemies while backtracking is a PITA and a half. Honestly, I still think Super Mario RPG is the better of the two, remakes notwithstanding.
psh_fun

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo's remasters/remakes in general are usually a miss for me. I really don't like all the changes they make to them by usually making them a lot easier and more trivial like the Wind Waker HD. Majora's Mask 3D, Super Mario RPG, and Mario VS Donkey Kong remake. It's odd because in some cases they specifically add an Easy/Casual mode to them but still nerf the "Original" mode as well.

As far as TTYD specifically: they again make it even easier despite the original not being hard either, but I'm especially not a fan of all the changes and censorship done in the remake which removes a lot of the charm 0f the original and what helped make TTYD stand out originally. And like Tokyo Mirage Session's remake most of it is present in the Japanese version too although some of it seems to be only in English from the comparisons people have been compiling. I also dislike you have to equip a badge to use the original OST when it should just be a menu option like other games do. Its nice this can introduce the game to new people but I hope they also go and play the original at some point like with most of these remakes.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been liking what I've been seeing of friends and acquaintances streaming it so far. People tend to remember TTYD with rose-tinted glasses, and there were a lot of standout issues with things like pacing in a few chapters and backtracking. Those issues are not entirely solved in the remaster, but there are certainly things I've noticed that have been placed to specifically address those problems.... even as I'm incredibly picky and wanting perfection, I think the remaster is worth it enough to say it's a must-have for anyone that just wants one of the best Mario games ever made on their Switch.

Make no mistake, the two shining features of the game are its writing (story) and the combat system's combos. Doing a flourish after an attack in combat charges your super meter, chaining flourish combos keeps the meters going and can offer various benefits. Employing badges to keep this system's momentum going makes for a fun bit of problem-solving and resource management too. Though the story doesn't offer anything particularly new to a Mario game, the clever way that the various characters are used and the ultimate direction that everything is taken remains to be some of the most genius video game writing I've seen, much less in a Mario game of all things. It's a celebration of Mario and RPGs, and should not be missed.

I'm of the mind that the only thing holding the Switch back from being the definitive version is the 30fps, but that may be addressed when the Switch successor launches - who can say. It's not a strong enough mark against it to avoid preferring the Switch version as your first play. Rather than go through the rigamarole of emulating the Gamecube ver, I'd point folks in the direction of the Paper Mario 64 TTYD mod that adds the partner and combo systems from TTYD to the original N64 game. The original Paper Mario on N64 is just as much a must-play game as TTYD, especially modded to have the QoL and mechanics that the sequel got, so it's hard to say that this isn't a golden age once more for Mario RPG fans with all of these stellar options available now - no option is particularly inferior at this point.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing with the little free time I have and loving it all over again. Not gonna lie I wish it was still 60fps but maybe just maybe Nintendo's next system will be backwards compatible (rumors point to yes but those are still just rumors) and we will receive a performance boost like upgrading GPU and/or CPU. I got a Pink Yoshi and decided to name him Kirby. Not important but I just wanted to share some of the fun.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 11:30 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
The original Paper Mario on N64 is just as much a must-play game as TTYD, especially modded to have the QoL and mechanics that the sequel got, so it's hard to say that this isn't a golden age once more for Mario RPG fans with all of these stellar options available now - no option is particularly inferior at this point.

Me over here waiting for Nintendo to remake Partners in Time.

psh_fun wrote:

As far as TTYD specifically: they again make it even easier despite the original not being hard either, but I'm especially not a fan of all the changes and censorship done in the remake which removes a lot of the charm 0f the original and what helped make TTYD stand out originally. And like Tokyo Mirage Session's remake most of it is present in the Japanese version too although some of it seems to be only in English from the comparisons people have been compiling.

These so called censorship changes are minimal from what I can grasp.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 1:54 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Me over here waiting for Nintendo to remake Partners in Time.

It seems unlikely given AlphaDream has shut down. But I did not like the Mario & Luigi remakes to begin with. They removed the wonderful art style of the older games to match the Dream Adventure aesthetic and find them to be very less fun to play overall. I blame the middling quality and sales for the remakes for AlphaDream's bankruptcy.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
These so called censorship changes are minimal from what I can grasp.

They're pretty severe in my eyes. Not that censorship would be okay even if they were minimal. The worst part is a lot of it is now in the Japanese version as well which is what I usually play so I ended up skipping out on this remake since now we have to deal with the censorship from the American version. But the 30fps downgrade is also a dealbreaker. It's especially bad since people found out there's code in the game to support 60fps and people are guessing it's being held off for a re-release on the next Nintendo console which seems extremely scummy to me.
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:32 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
But I really wish the Bump Attack badge was re-tooled to be acquired a lot sooner, because having to deal with weaker enemies while backtracking is a PITA and a half.

Agreed. But at least First Attack costs 0 BP now, so that's something I guess?
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They're pretty severe in my eyes. Not that censorship would be okay even if they were minimal. The worst part is a lot of it is now in the Japanese version as well which is what I usually play so I ended up skipping out on this remake since now we have to deal with the censorship from the American version. But the 30fps downgrade is also a dealbreaker. It's especially bad since people found out there's code in the game to support 60fps and people are guessing it's being held off for a re-release on the next Nintendo console which seems extremely scummy to me.

I highly doubt they are gonna re release this, so you're reaching too much here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Doubleclouder wrote:
I blame the middling quality and sales for the remakes for AlphaDream's bankruptcy.

The quality was fine. Putting these games on the 3DS which was a bit long in the tooth in 2017 & 2018 probably wasn’t.

Doubleclouder wrote:

They're pretty severe in my eyes. Not that censorship would be okay even if they were minimal.

One of the edits for the original release which I assume was retained I. The remake involved the removal of a chalk outline which I don’t think I need to explain what that implies and why even having one in a well known family oriented series like Mario is a problem. Same thing with finding Peach’s ???? Inside her room In Super Mario RPG.

Goombella no longer being catcalled by the Goonbas in the sewer which seems to have had an awful lot of focus by critics isn’t much a loss. Nor is the stuff with Vivian.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:42 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adored this remake and all the little updates and touch ups, the remixed and now dynamic music for each area was incredible, the visuals were beautiful, and I thought the updates to the script translation were all incredibly well done, even better and more accurate than the original in so many places even. Really happy that Super Mario RPG and this have just had phenomenal remakes on the Switch, and been such perfect ways to revisit and play these games.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
I thought the updates to the script translation were all incredibly well done, even better and more accurate than the original in so many places even.

It's one thing to like or prefer the edits that were made for modern audiences but to say it's "more accurate" is just misinformation. Especially if it's something that's still present in the Japanese version of the remake and easy to check.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
I absolutely adored this remake and all the little updates and touch ups, the remixed and now dynamic music for each area was incredible, the visuals were beautiful, and I thought the updates to the script translation were all incredibly well done, even better and more accurate than the original in so many places even. Really happy that Super Mario RPG and this have just had phenomenal remakes on the Switch, and been such perfect ways to revisit and play these games.
While I'm glad they included a way to experience the game's old soundtrack the new remake's OST just blows it out of the water especially the battle music!
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
It's one thing to like or prefer the edits that were made for modern audiences but to say it's "more accurate" is just misinformation. Especially if it's something that's still present in the Japanese version of the remake and easy to check.

I don't know what you mean at all, but I meant things like making it obvious Hooktail is a female dragon with Twintails, and how her least favourite sound is actually Frogs not Crickets. All things that were weirdly mistranslated or seemingly changed for no reason in the original Gamecube release, fixed up and made far more accurate in the Switch version.
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
While I'm glad they included a way to experience the game's old soundtrack the new remake's OST just blows it out of the water especially the battle music!

Absolutely agree, really loved the remake's OST and you can tell so much love went into it.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
I don't know what you mean at all, but I meant things like making it obvious Hooktail is a female dragon with Twintails, and how her least favourite sound is actually Frogs not Crickets. All things that were weirdly mistranslated or seemingly changed for no reason in the original Gamecube release, fixed up and made far more accurate in the Switch version.

Oh, I thought you meant all the other stuff people were talking about like the removing any dialog associated with flirting, crossdressing, beauty, weight, age, and other jokes and scenes that were originally in the Japanese version and original Gamecube translation but got removed in the remake. Yeah, they kept Hooktail's thing with frogs instead of making it about crickets this time though. Hooktail was still a girl in the original translation it was just never mentioned until later in the game when you meet her siblings and the towns people just refer to the dragon as an "it".. I guess they wanted it to be a surprise or something.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Oh, I thought you meant all the other stuff people were talking about like the removing any dialog associated with flirting, crossdressing, beauty, weight, age, and other jokes and scenes that were originally in the Japanese version and original Gamecube translation but got removed in the remake.

Oh absolutely not, that's all pretty inconsequential after all. Joking and making fun of flirting, crossdressing, beauty, weight, and age is extremely boring and played out. Something even 4kids english dubs used to do, so I'm glad to see the people on the Japanese and English side understood the assignment when making this remake.
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Yeah, they kept Hooktail's thing with frogs instead of making it about crickets this time though. Hooktail was still a girl in the original translation it was just never mentioned until later in the game when you meet her siblings and the towns people just refer to the dragon as an "it"...I guess they wanted it to be a surprise or something.

Yeah it was really bizarre, the badge clearly made frog noises too but they were trying to tell us it was crickets. Was really happy to see the remake fix that stuff, and yeah glad they just properly translated all the Hooktail dialogue instead of going with he and it for no reason. I assume the translators of Gamecube versions probably just thought a Dragon being a girl was bad or lame or something, because the change in dialogue made no sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1