• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Voice Actor Tōru Furuya Admits to 4-Year Affair With Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
Really disappointing news.

He was one of the earliest voices for Mario, voiced Casshern in Casshern Sins, voiced Yamcha and Amuro Ray.

Now hearing him do this terrible thing is just sad to hear.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I've always been a little suspicious of him after he allegedly divorced Mami Koyama because she wouldn't give up her career to make babies for him. To be fair, it was an amicable split and they still work together on stuff.

Then he married Satomi Majima and successfully got her to permanently quit her rising seiyū career to be a baby factory. I hope she goes back to work now just to spite him. My sympathy is entirely with her, not the mistress.

I was actually thinking to myself about his divorce from Mami Koyama after this and why it happened.

I didn't know that about Satomi Majima either.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Good God man

Abusing and taking advantage of a fan, hitting her and forcing her to have an abortion? this guy is a monster. Forget his career being over, this is some real crimes that he should face jail term for it.

Man, talk about things being absolutely crazy. Sad
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Zeonic Scans translated the article for those who want to read it. Didn't link as I don't know the policies on that stuff.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:36 pm Reply with quote
.... great. Should I just chuck out my "Saint Seiya" box set now?
Wangen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:47 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Dear god. Now even the Zeta Gundam novel sounds realistic.

Now I get why people call Kira Jesus. Even his actor is a saint.
Until proven otherwise.
onpufan

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:37 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Both Sakurai and Suzuki have basically been on role-reprisals only since their incidents. I could see the same here. Even if there's no kid involved, Furuya might be better off just giving support payments to whoever he did this to.

I suspect Suzuki breaking NDA during the affair was what did him in rather than the affair itself. Other affair scandals like Daisuke Namikawa's didn't seem to affect him much. I guess we'll see though.
Ulf Jarl

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt his character in Detective Conan is going to be recast or killed off over this simply due to the fact that Furuya is by far the most popular character in the show and the resulting fan backlash would be huge.

At best, his other characters like Amuro and Seiya might not be included in future anime.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Ulf Jarl wrote:
At best, his other characters like Amuro and Seiya might not be included in future anime.

Seiya has been voiced by Masakazu Morita since Hades Inferno in 2005 and other than returning for Omega in 2012, Furuya hasn't voiced him in any Saint Seiya material since.
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Ulf Jarl wrote:
I highly doubt his character in Detective Conan is going to be recast or killed off over this simply due to the fact that Furuya is by far the most popular character in the show and the resulting fan backlash would be huge.

From what I've read the fan he had a relationship was because she was a huge fan of Bourbon and saw one of the Detective Conan movies he was in like 30+ times which was how they met.

I know emotions can run high when news like this comes out but plenty of famous people date normal people with no abuse involved. No one has ever said anything about Eiichiro Oda dating and marrying a Nami cosplayer who was a big fan of his back in 2002. It's only when a scandal comes out of it do people try to connect the dots together and paint it as a bad thing. But adultery and abuse happens among non famous couples all the time as well and even when celebrities only date other celebrities like the Depp-Heard stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
When I read the headline my initial reaction was, "what's the big deal, so he had an affair." Then I read the specifics. Oof. My heart goes out to the poor woman he exploited and victimized.
Yusaku_005

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
When I read the headline my initial reaction was, "what's the big deal, so he had an affair." Then I read the specifics. Oof. My heart goes out to the poor woman he exploited and victimized.

That was how I felt, the worst aspects are truly in the details. Particularly slapping the woman in the face causing her nose to bleed, stealing her phone afterwards... Ugh. Literally the only saving graces he has now are A) The fan was not underage and B) He isn't calling her a liar like many other accused celebrities do. But he sure has checked off all the other "scumbag" traits.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
Takahiro Sakurai's career essentially ended over an affair but that was because of who his wife was in the industry. Other VAs involved in affair scandals usually keep their careers. I wonder what the fallout to this will be. He voices a lot of iconic and classic characters.

You might have Sakurai mixed up with Tatsuhisa, whose wife was LiSA. Sakurai's wife is AFAIK a former voice actor whose name has been kept secret (I think?).
Sakurai has still had roles in continuing franchises (JJK, Demon Slayer, Granblue Fantasy), though he did lose a couple of roles in other works.
But he's a guest at this years Anime Expo so he's not suffering that much (unfortunately. Wish he'd had more repercussions).

Tatsuhisa has had very little work, though that was partially due to him taking a big hiatus (due to the backlash). As was also mentioned in this thread, he also apparently violated an NDA which is a pretty big blow to professional trust.

Anyway...

In regards to Furuya, his actions are so disgusting. I hate cheaters in general but to take advantage of a fan and then treat them so badly...
If he'd just cheated he'd probably be back in town within a year or so but because of all the extra stuff... Wonder what will happen.
They'd have to recast his Conan character. That guy is one of the most popular characters in the franchise, they can't just kill him off or whatever...
Wack Sage

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Even if it was just an affair that still seems to be pretty taboo in Japan. I'm not sure how taboo or controversial getting abortions are there either though.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Banjo wrote:
He admitted that he hit her once over an argument, and he admitted that he forced her to have abortion.

In my opinion they should get rid of his character in detective conan.

Why should they get rid of his character? The character didn’t do anything, the VA did. He will be replaced by another VA.

This case is a bit different because the character in Detective Conan is named after him and his first big role. I don't think they should change the character, but replacing the voice here would not remove his presence entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6