• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Crunchyroll Announces Content Partnership Program

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
But do Crunchy Roll intend on taking down everything they're hosting without permission, and only having official content from these companies on their website? Or are they just going to keep bootlegging?

Do they plan to use that 4 million capital to pay back royalties to the companies in the US and Japan they've been making money off of illicitly?

This PR sound like a lot of bull to me, until they do those things. Viable alternative to piracy my butt.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
All the popular titles seem to have been removed, but many licensed titles are still up. Furthermore, the index to the videos exist while the videos themselves don't.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/series-326/Mahou-Sensei-Negima.html

To me, it looks like a hasty attempt to quell the masses. Needless to say, other videos are still up without their permission. I still don't know why Crunchyroll was chosen over other sites.

Heh, funny thing actually. Many members are crying that they can't watch licensed stuff for free anymore.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/series-28/Naruto.html
http://www.crunchyroll.com/series-205/Full-Metal-Panic.html

Apparently a handful of members don't seem to understand what "Licensing" means...

In all honesty though, I can't really tell who the vocal minority is. Is it the community that whine and complain that their free stuff is gone? Or is it the people who truly love anime but turn to fansubs because they don't trust the local licensing companies to do a good job.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

In all honesty though, I can't really tell who the vocal minority is. Is it the community that whine and complain that their free stuff is gone? Or is it the people who truly love anime but turn to fansubs because they don't trust the local licensing companies to do a good job.

They're the same group, the second just feels they're justified in their whining.
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
Heh, funny thing actually. Many members are crying that they can't watch licensed stuff for free anymore.

Very funny indeed! Very Happy

I especially liked the comment by one poster who was like,"Naruto is licensed? Boo hoo hoo..." Uh, yeah. It's been licensed for how many years now? Rolling Eyes

The level of ignorance out there truly boggles the mind.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Yup, same group of treasures, one just has a magical bull-poopy reason to cover their butts.

Zerreth- those Naruto comments are hilarious. I think if CR were really going to step all the way up, they'd remove all non-approved content from their site including unlicensed series, and linked to official websites and anime webstores on the leftover pages for licensed series. If they do want to become legit, they have a LOT of work to do, and a lot of apologies to make...... though they'll still always have that funk about them of being a bootlegger. I'm just going to opt for Bost [who haven't had any issues with bootleg content] when it comes to streaming stuff, or wait for the dvd's myself.

On a tangent, anyone remeber around 1999 when Sputnik 7 teamed up with Manga Entertainment and CPM to stream shows? There really wasn't a market or enough internet speed for it back then, but it was a fun service. Horribly streamed X The Movie for only one day for the win!

I think CR would be served itself better if it had only dealt with licensed product since the start like BOST.....
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

I'm reminded of this.

WARNING: Link possibly offensive.

Anyway, I'm not a businessman (and I doubt most of you are either, I want that clear from the start this time.), but... *post deleted* But nothing, I'm not a businessman, and I haven't been following the Crunchy Roll saga, so bleh. -_-;;;;; I will say, however, that I'm looking forward to being on the sidelines watching the fallout when CR exclusives start getting posted to YouTube.
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Zerreth wrote:

I especially liked the comment by one poster who was like,"Naruto is licensed? Boo hoo hoo..." Uh, yeah. It's been licensed for how many years now? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, peoples ignorance makes me wonder. "ZOMG its licensed" heres a link to my site for the whole series =_=.

I Just hope this supposed contract and stuff doesn't adversely effect the American anime industry.......that would make me a sad panda rofl.

With the level of ignorance these folks have, I wonder how long licensed stuff will stay off CR.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
NeonGEvangelion wrote:
daedelus wrote:
Zerreth wrote:

Seriously, peoples ignorance makes me wonder. "ZOMG its licensed" heres a link to my site for the whole series =_=.

I Just hope this supposed contract and stuff doesn't adversely effect the American anime industry.......that would make me a sad panda rofl.

With the level of ignorance these folks have, I wonder how long licensed stuff will stay off CR.

I suspect one of two things will happen. One, licensed stuff won't stay off and rights holders will take aim not just at CR, but at GDH etc.. The logic being that offering incentive for fans to join up with someone that bootlegs their competitors is incredibly unsavory business practices. Two is that they *will* be able to keep stuff off and the fansub people will find a new site to patronize. You might be surprised how fast that can happen- When Kazza turned out to be wide open to malware, BitTorrent became the leading P2P software within- what was it, about a month?

You know, I just had a very scary thought- it's been posted on other threads that people are dumbfounded that GDH etc. had gone to CR to handle digital distribution after the stateside production companies had been trying for years to get them to do something similar. But since hanging out at the anime board I've seen at least a dozen mouth breathers justifying piracy on the grounds that these stateside companies are incompetent, don't respect the source material, edit excessively, don't understand cultural contexts, etc.. Those are all thinly-veiled excuses for the fact that these weaboos want the goods without paying, of course, and seasoned fans recognize that. But if you showed some of those threads to someone who doesn't understand the Internet or the fandom's affinity for carping, you could convince them that the stateside companies actually ARE incompetent. You don't suppose that's how CR convinced GDH to go with them, do you? Wielding the stupid fans as a weapon against the stateside industry?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Bellos, maybe, I've been thinking about it slightly differently though.

Let us assume that CR was, from the start, a website meant to make money. If it was never some "fun side project that got big" but a calculated business venture. Now, if this were true, the creator(s) would be creating this friendly internet atmosphere for people to "hang out" and watch these videos. Their persona would be intentional and any actual business would tried to be kept off the front pages. The point? You get a huge crowd all watching these videos talking to the "site owner" with smileys, internet slang, trying to help the site by donating and getting high resolution files back. Then when you pull the plug on everything illegal, go legit, and get real businesses interested, you have a HUGE internet audience ready and waiting to pay some fees and watch some ads for largely the same videos as they watched before.

It's entirely theory because other than some of these ANN posts and a quick skim of CR, I can't say I've got a good grasp on the situation. It's not so much a bad idea, but terribly low class and I'd hate to see them profit and do well after this initial startup.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
It's not so much a bad idea, but terribly low class and I'd hate to see them profit and do well after this initial startup.

Exactly! What kind of message are you sending to the world? That piracy pays?

And in the meantime, you have fansubbers, who at least never charged for their video/profited off of web ad sales on any major scale, being eliminated from the picture in favor of a true pirate site that has made millions streaming your content illegally.

It sets a terrible precedent and I hope a less-dubious competing service launches soon to take its place.

-Tofu
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Then when you pull the plug on everything illegal, go legit, and get real businesses interested, you have a HUGE internet audience ready and waiting to pay some fees and watch some ads for largely the same videos as they watched before.

As a member of Crunchyroll's "audience", I'd be perfectly happy to watch ad-supported Crunchyroll, but I'm never going to pay to watch CR. I pay a lot of money to watch anime, but on a shiny silver disk. But I'm 33-years old and am an old-fashioned "physical media" kind of guy, maybe the younger'uns would be more conducive to paying for downloads.

Eh, sorry, I'll admit that I was snickering as I typed the second half of the previous sentence. If CR ever cracks down on unlicensed content and goes pay-only, the freeloaders will just migrate to lower-profile CR alternatives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Then when you pull the plug on everything illegal, go legit, and get real businesses interested, you have a HUGE internet audience ready and waiting to pay some fees and watch some ads for largely the same videos as they watched before.

It's entirely theory because other than some of these ANN posts and a quick skim of CR, I can't say I've got a good grasp on the situation. It's not so much a bad idea, but terribly low class and I'd hate to see them profit and do well after this initial startup.

Actually I just did a quick skim of their forums - a very fun place right now.

Apparently there's an attempt to plug the "profiting from the activity" hole in their flimsy safe harbor plan: they've opened up access to high-quality video to everyone. Now a bunch of the 'star supporters' are justifiably pissed because what they paid for is being given away for free. A lot of them are angry that they 'donated' at all now. And they're getting flamed right back with arguments that they didn't donate to get access to the high-quality stuff.

All is not happy in crunchyland the past few days, but especially not with the people who've already been shelling out money.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk-

Everyone has got to start somewhere. You think every company was birthed out of goodness? Or even as an establish company they make ethical descions? I'll look past their prior evils for now.

And...

Unholy_Nny-

Do you actually believe that or were you being sarcastic? I only ask because if you were not, I have little hope for humanity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Quote:
Now a bunch of the 'star supporters' are justifiably pissed because what they paid for is being given away for free. A lot of them are angry that they 'donated' at all now. And they're getting flamed right back with arguments that they didn't donate to get access to the high-quality stuff.

All is not happy in crunchyland the past few days, but especially not with the people who've already been shelling out money.

That takes me back to the original Crunchyroll thread, before the GONZO news broke, where Crunchyroll members came in and strongly defended the site as a fan-made community that was taking off by complete surprise. Others and I stated at the time that Crunchyroll was a start-up venture from the get-go (and the related article to this thread states Vu Nguyen, a former notable player at internet venture/start-up hotornot.com, as the first 'confirmed' Cruncyroll exec) and that a lot of "Crunchyroll community' folks were going to be a bit hot-under-the-collar when it came to light that they've been spending either 'donation' ("It's helping a couple amateur fans run the site out of love!") money or just their volunteered time to help run/make attractive a business site. I don't think that revelation will have serious consequences compared to the possible loss of most licensed content, but it has to chafe a bit.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Everyone has got to start somewhere. You think every company was birthed out of goodness? Or even as an establish company they make ethical descions? I'll look past their prior evils for now.

It's not like there aren't companies that are legit and probably willing and ready to work with japanese companies on a level like this. Whether they were asked about this I can not tell, but do you honestly believe that this is "completely ok"? I never said all companies came about from good intentions but I'm not going to ROOT for those who didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4