• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Voice Actor Tōru Furuya Admits to 4-Year Affair With Fan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Furuya also admitted that he had caused the woman to have an abortion.

Umm.....this is.....hard to come up with words at this point.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:43 pm Reply with quote
That’s terrible.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is positively heartbreaking. Furuya is a legend and the voice of some of my favorite characters, and to find out he acted like this...my condolences to the woman and to Furuya's wife.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I got nothing to say other than "YIKES."
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:00 am Reply with quote
This is despicable. I find it much more vile than what Takahiro Sakurai and Tatsuhisa Suzuki did. Furuya is a renowned voice actor. I wonder if this event will affect his participation in series like One Piece (as Sabo) and Yamcha (in future Dragon Ball projects).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:01 am Reply with quote
As a big Sailor Moon, his Tuxedo Mask has been a big part of my life for decades now so this is horrible to hear. I hope the woman is safe in a better place and his wife is ok.
onpufan

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:39 am Reply with quote
Takahiro Sakurai's career essentially ended over an affair but that was because of who his wife was in the industry. Other VAs involved in affair scandals usually keep their careers. I wonder what the fallout to this will be. He voices a lot of iconic and classic characters.
Wangen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:50 am Reply with quote
You may think you know your favorite celebrities, but you don't.

At least he admitted.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:56 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
Takahiro Sakurai's career essentially ended over an affair but that was because of who his wife was in the industry. Other VAs involved in affair scandals usually keep their careers.

Both Sakurai and Suzuki have basically been on role-reprisals only since their incidents. I could see the same here. Even if there's no kid involved, Furuya might be better off just giving support payments to whoever he did this to.

Because seeing potential physical violence and abortion in the same article is not a good look at all, even if we're unlikely to ever get the full story (and to be honest, we shouldn't. This is between two adults at the end of the day.)
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:56 am Reply with quote
Scum. He only admitted to the allegations because of the article.

This is absolutely disappointing and heartbreaking. Tuxedo Kamen was my first anime crush and has remained a huge part of my life. I hope the fan and his family will be able to mend their hearts and move forward with time. They deserve so much better than this.
YackDe

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:18 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
Because seeing potential physical violence and abortion in the same article is not a good look at all, even if we're unlikely to ever get the full story (and to be honest, we shouldn't. This is between two adults at the end of the day.)

Don't know why anyone would try to frame this as "potential". Furuya put out a statement admitting to all of it.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:23 am Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:

Don't know why anyone would try to frame this as "potential". Furuya put out a statement admitting to all of it.

I'm referring to in case the physical violence maybe had something do with the abortion. I've seen the statement myself but nothing in it implies it was the DV was related to the abortion but we'll likely only have one side to go off, hence "potential."
YackDe

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 1:51 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
YackDe wrote:

I'm referring to in case the physical violence maybe had something do with the abortion. I've seen the statement myself but nothing in it implies it was the DV was related to the abortion but we'll likely only have one side to go off, hence "potential."

None of that comes through the phrase "potential physical violence and abortion", where the "and" indicates you're referring to two separate issues. Combined with bizarrely choosing now to talk about the "full story", the whole thing comes across as trying to cast doubt or otherwise indicate that there is anything more to this than Furuya being at fault.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:01 am Reply with quote
Let's be honest, the most reasonable reading of "caused" in "caused her to have an abortion" here is in the sense of "pressured / cajoled / coerced her to undergo the procedure," not "physically caused through violence." At least there's no allegations or statements of physical violence beyond "raised his hand to threaten to strike her." The situation is obviously not good all around, but based on the evidence at hand, it's not as lurid as some suppositions are making it out to be.

(Besides, wouldn't the usual phrasing be "caused her to miscarry / have a miscarriage" in situations where a pregnancy is violently terminated via external trauma?)
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 2:10 am Reply with quote
He admitted that he hit her once over an argument, and he admitted that he forced her to have abortion.

In my opinion they should get rid of his character in detective conan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6