• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
When that happens, and obviously spoiler[Ayame was able to realize it, is how do you go from the point of where the damage has stopped, but to repair the damage? It would have been interesting to see what ultimately happened between the two brothers and their parents, to see if there was any attempts at healing the wounds.]
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks to whoever didn't use the spoiler tags for Death Note on the third page. Rolling Eyes Yes, I was actually reading a bit of the thread from the beggining.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Wow, thanks to whoever didn't use the spoiler tags for Death Note on the third page. Rolling Eyes Yes, I was actually reading a bit of the thread from the beggining.

Your post made me curious to see who that was. I am guilty as charged Embarassed Crying or Very sad : I was learning at the time to use the spoiler tags and the quote (I'm terribly clumsy with the computers - my only excuse), so terribly sorry if I ruined something for you. Really sorry. Embarassed I went and fixed it for the future readers whom I might spoil!!! Shocked

fighterholic, I agree with what you said: spoiler[I would have liked to see what happened next, especially because there would have been some interesting situations between them. Like Rin said, it's terribly difficult to forget all ofe the sudden the bad things even there might have been some good ones too. ]
braves

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
braves wrote:

Your post made me curious to see who that was. I am guilty as charged Embarassed Crying or Very sad : I was learning at the time to use the spoiler tags and the quote (I'm terribly clumsy with the computers - my only excuse), so terribly sorry if I ruined something for you. Really sorry. Embarassed I went and fixed it for the future readers whom I might spoil!!! Shocked

Aw well, I guess I'll live. It's not everyday that I get a series spoiled for me, but I'm still interested( to a lesser degree) in DN, because it's my favorite series. Though, apology accepted.Wink

The only thing thing that will help me recover completely is another series that I think is greater than DN. But I've dereailed this thread long enough, onwards with Fruits Basket.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I did notice that you went back and edited your post aya_honda. But we all must carry on Smile Anyways, I think we have had a very detailed week to say the least. I wonder who the next characters are going to be, since I am not the one running the tables this time around.
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I wonder who the next characters are going to be, since I am not the one running the tables this time around.

Well, if it's all right with everyone, I thought we'd start into a discussion of Vol. 19. But I can put that on hold if someone speaks up and says he or she hasn't read it yet. Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

And about Yuki and Ayame's father, there's a side column in Vol. 19 that saysspoiler[ he loses it at Ayame they way their mother did during the parent-teacher conference. That makes me wonder if husband has the same personality as the wife. He was obviously OK with selling Yuki and completely giving up on Ayame. ]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem putting the character discussions on hold, if everybody else is ready to discuss volume 19.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I have no problem putting the character discussions on hold, if everybody else is ready to discuss volume 19.

I'm ready. Just say the word!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:07 am Reply with quote
Yes, fighterholic, I went and fixed it because really I wouldn't like to spoil anyone anymore. Shocked Sorry, braves, once more!

I think that since everybody got a hold on the 19th volume it's time to discuss it and put on hold the character discussion. Here it's Friday already but I'll be patient and wait till it becomes Friday there too. Very Happy
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
OK then, we're going to interrupt our next relationship discussion to talk about Vol. 19. Very Happy

Actually, vol. 19 isn't too far off from what we've been talking about. We get to see more on just about every relationship in Furuba. spoiler[Tohru and Kyo deepen their relationship. Yuki and Machi have a few nice -- however clueless -- moments. Kakeru finally introduces us to his often mention girlfriend, Komaki. Even Shigure shows us a somewhat human side of himself, wanting Akito to join them. ]

I think this is one of the best volumes so far. It's hard to pick a favorite moment, but I was really struck by Just beautiful.
spoiler[Tohru and Kyo's conversation while she was hanging the sheets. That had to be the first time Tohru confessed those feelings about her father to anyone. And, it was as if the sheet were actually a shield, protecting Tohru and allowing her to make that confession. Had she been fact to face with Kyo, I doubt she could have done it. Kyo's reaction was beautiful, too. Very supportive, telling Tohru (once again) that it's OK to complain and to voice those bitter, sad feelings.]
Well, I'm going to cut it off here. I'll add more once the conversation gets going.

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
What I found to be interesting was the fact that this was the first time that spoiler[all of the Zodiac were together. Which is probably the only reason why the curse can be broken...hopefully.]

What was also interesting was that Tohru thought that if she spoiler[loved someone else, her mother would fade away.]

Another fun part is when Yuki is mistaken for Ayame and when he tells Ayame about it, Ayame spoiler[jumps to his feet, shouting that he "Must Apologize!" Yuki, probably thinks his brother is being weird again until Ayame tells the story of how cruel he ended up being to the girl who professed her love to him in high school. And how that scene stuck in his mind over the years. That was probably the one thing that started Ayame on the path to better himself and his relationship with Yuki.]

How did Kakeru get the nickname "Flying Pot-kun"?

And my goodness! MOMIJI! And HIRO! My gracious! spoiler[How they've grown! And, like Haru said, Momiji doesn't feel the need to dress in the girls' uniform anymore. And Kyo has some comitition! "But still, I'm a man after all..." Shocked Watch out, Kyo! Twisted Evil And the fact that Momiji blatantly says to Kyo's face that he'll propose to Tohru if Kyo gives up.]

And Kisa was quite brave, wasn't she...spoiler[saying "hello" to Kyo.]

I actually feel sorry for Shigure at the end of chapter 111 when he says spoiler[I really wish you'd hurry up and join us." And then it shows Akito curled up in herself. I think that Shigure is tired of being cruel to Akito. That he wants Akito to be with the rest of the Zodiac as their friend and loved one, not as their terrifying God.]
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Fighterholic can probably explain it better, but do you remember spoiler[when Kakeru introduced himself to Yuki when the student council was first introduced? He said the kanji that make up his name mean "as the true pot flies." So, I guess Flying Pot-kun became his nickname.]

Everyone spoiler[grew up in this volume. Momiji is taller and more manly. Hiro is more mature -- he backs down from his usual verbal assaults with Kyo. And Kisa is more brave, as you said Lydia, indroducing herself to Kyo in that scene. I love how the hearts from Kisa and Tohru's hug are introduced several panels before the hug is shown, and how the conversation just flows along around the love-fest. I guess that's how used to it the other characters are. Both Tohru and Kisa look confused with they're called back to reality by Yuki.] Laughing

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Fighterholic can probably explain it better, but do you remember spoiler[when Kakeru introduced himself to Yuki when the student council was first introduced? He said the kanji that make up his name mean "as the true pot flies." So, I guess Flying Pot-kun became his nickname.]

To that extent, yes. That is what it means. It was interesting meeting Komaki, spoiler[she was like Tohru in many ways, and still willing to work out her differences with Kakeru, even after all that had happened between her father and Tohru's mother. Kakeru was somehow sick of Tohru being the "victim," so he ranted off to her and thought he was doing Komaki a favor, which obviously backfired. That was one side of Kakeru we haven't quite seen before.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
I too love very much the scenes spoiler[between Tohru and Kyo, talking about her father. I think that in a way Tohru felt terrbly lonely during her childhood. Remember how Kyoko after losing Katsuya didn't know what to do anymore and almost completly forgot about Tohru? Only when her daughter disappeared she realized that something must be done. But by then Tohru already felt that her father wants to take her mother too and the only way to survive at that time was to make him a bad guy. Even more I think that it was her only chance at the same time. She must have been very affected by what those people said about her, that she might not be Katsuya's daughter after all. That's why Kyo also could relate to her problem so well. Also people were telling him bad things when he was a child with the excuse that a child can't understand anyway (as his "father" very well put it). I was so annoyed. ] But what followed was even funnier: spoiler[the atmosphere between these two changed a lot and Yuki sees that they like each other very much. He almost laughs when Hiro observed the same thing, thinking that it's obvious to all of them. Laughing ]

Momiji has an interesting development in this volume. spoiler[He finally grows and starts wearing boy clothes making him very attractve for the girls. Very Happy But what he says to Kyo is full of maturity of his own situation: he understands that Tohru likes Kyo and that the feelings are mutual. I think that by what he says he wants to encourage Kyo not to give up and be there for Tohru because if he doesn't do anything she might be stolen by another man. Of course, Kyo's reaction is something like "was it really that obvious?" Laughing ]

And one more thing, then I'll stop and come back later: Shigure in this volume shows us once again how versatile he can be. spoiler[I think that he is one of the few characters whom we might never get all the facettes that he had. When talking to Hatori we realize that Shigure loves Akito but Hatori says to him that everybody would say that he actually hates Akito. Well, couldn't be true? Even if just a little. I think that they hurt each other a lot, but let's not forget that it was actually Akito who started all this by going to bed with Kureno. Of course, perhaps she was desperatly looking a manner to keep Kureno whose curse had broken but still that was an extreme measure and it made all involved suffered a lot. I believe that Shigure retaliated very badly (by sleeping with Ren) and then being all the time mean to Akito. But until he saw a change in her, I think that couldn't have done too much. He wants to be for Akito a man that she can love and not use like Hatori or Kureno. Just for the sake of not being lonely.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I finally got it! I bought volume 19 on Thursday evening, but I haven't read it yet. I will probably get to it sometime this weekend and then I can rejoin the discussion. I'm so excited I can't wait to read it! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 116 of 170