• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vocaloid2 - Virtual Seiyuu on a Near Future?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:21 am Reply with quote
Lately I've been hearing to some vocaloid versions of anime related songs on YouTube and they are very impressive. I've read this previous thread and it is not a matter if it sounds artificial or not. It doesn't sound human and that is exactly what makes it unique. It is also not a matter if vocaloids will take the jobs from seiyuus in a near future. Electronic music has been evolving throughout all of the 20th century and it has reached the 21st securing a market of its own and pacifically coexisting with all other music types. I'd love to see an anime that featured androids using vocaloids as seiyuus. And that is probably because I'm unimaginative of their real potential. Hatsune Miku's producer ceres made some videos with Miku singing songs from Final Fantasy games and the results are truly amazing. Another great idea is the vocaloid version of the opera scene from FF6.

夢想歌 - Utawarerumono OP (Vocaloid)
夢想歌 - Utawarerumono OP (Original)

鳥の詩 - Air
YOU - Higurashi
プラチナ - Card Captor Sakura
Adesso e Fortuna - Record of Lodoss War
風の谷のナウシカ - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
カントリー ロード - Whisper of the Heart
もののけ姫 - Princess Mononoke

Final Fantasy songs
Terra's Theme (FF6)
My Home, Sweet Home (FF5)
Within the Giant (FF4)
Aria di Mezzo Carattere (FF6)

Funny thing is that the most popular music sung by Miku now is the Levan Polkka (leekspin) which is... kinda... anime related. Please read the forum thread mentioned on the second sentence to avoid a repetition of replies. Like... enough Sharon Apple. We got it.

Last edited by rti9 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:04 am; edited 2 times in total
TheAnimeJudge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Well... Vocaloid is Touhou style right?
And lately when i hear Touhou music, it comes with all of those aspects you've explained... xD
So the touhou blend is what you might have been hearing lately, but alot of people have their own idea's when it comes to, Similar sounding songs...
rti9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
Yay, Hatsune Miku will be singing in the soundtrack of the upcoming game トリノほし - Aerial Planet. Musics available on the website. Now let's see if a studio thinks in a similar pattern.

UPDATE: It will really get interesting when people start to compose music with Miku instead of just making her do covers.
ace-of-roses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
have you heard kaito's dear you from higurashi? it's beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlhpBj_H38
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Vocaloids as a virtual seiyuu... Possibly. They can be used to talk, as seen in Let's Speak in English with Megurine Luka and this clip here. But only once or twice. If the Vocaloids are used too much by every studio, then people will get annoyed with them. Even if the user is very skilled at making them speak, listening to them talk continuously could be irritating. Also, if they wanted to make their own vocal synthesizer for a show so that they don't always have the same voice going around, it would take some time developing it.

Also, people have already composed music with Miku and the other vocaloids for quite some time. In fact, those people become famous, at least in Vocaloid fandom.

@TheAnimeJudge
By Touhou-style songs, are you refering to robotic-sounding voices? (I'm not all that familiar with Touhou...) I suppose the might be similar, but some skilled producers have made vocaloids sound incredibly life-like. Miracle∞Gumiracleis like a more realistic, Gumi-fied Miracle∞Hinacle. Also, the recent Appends for Miku make her sound incredibly realistic too, like in this. But see, a skilled producer can still make them sound realistic, like in Dreaming Little Bird (although it might just be because their voices are all together).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeJudge wrote:
Well... Vocaloid is Touhou style right?
And lately when i hear Touhou music, it comes with all of those aspects you've explained... xD
So the touhou blend is what you might have been hearing lately, but alot of people have their own idea's when it comes to, Similar sounding songs...
I'll explain the connection between Touhou and Vocaloid, basically they're not really synonymous, nor directly connected in any way.

Fans that wanted to create visually appealing games with orignal anime styled characters eventually evolved into what is now known as Touhou. Doujin Soft previously referred to the non-professional video game community (kind of like doujinshi, but computer software instead of comics), but now pretty much the word Touhou is the dominant descriptor of that style of games and the recurring cast of characters like Marisa and Reimu.

Touhou songs are actually real people singing, sometimes with their voices modified to sound artificial. So no vocaloid is not Touhou style.

Vocaloid is actually a professionally made consumer product but the end users are fans who create songs in the same vein as doujin artists create stories with their favorite characters. People who are not musicians can create music videos because they can take the karaoke version of any song and have their favorite vocaloid sing it. With a little creativity you can compose your own songs too, write lyrics and have a vocaloid sing and make a video (using Miku Miku Dance), without the need for a studio, musical instruments or an actual singer.
rti9 wrote:
UPDATE: It will really get interesting when people start to compose music with Miku instead of just making her do covers.
The company that owns the Vocaloids currently does create original songs (usually released directly to Nico Nico Douga) as well as tons of amatuer composers that do. The majority of the huge selection of fan made Vocaloid CDs out there including all the officially released Vocaloid CDs all have original songs not previously sung by real life artists.

This original video, including the music, lyrics, animation (except for the guitarwork) was created by one person by the name of Tripshots.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1