• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Notice how Yuki gets attracted by spoiler[people who seem full of life like his brother? There's one scene in one of the volumes towards the end when he also sees a resemblance between Ayame and Nabe and how similar they are in their way of living their life to the full with a smile on their face. I think that this might be one of the many things that attracted Yuki towards his brother. Yuki has never been able to be so light-hearted as Ayame has been. Of course Ayame takes this to extremes but I think that Yuki envies Ayame a little bit for the superciality that he sometimes prooves guilty of. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it is that Yuki spoiler[has wanted to be more open and lively in life, but doesn't know how to with how he was treated when he was younger. Definetly, Nabe provides the bridge to help Yuki understand Ayame even more, even to the point that when Yuki's mother was seeming to shut him up at the PTA meeting, Yuki appreciated Ayame for being supportive of him, even coming to the meeting.]

Wow, we're on 115 pages now!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
Regarding the spoiler[the teacher/parents conference: how come that Ayame knew about this? Because I don't remember if it's specified in the manga. If it's not said then is it possible to be Hatori who has informed Ayame about this? Because Yuki really needed there a supportive human being like Ayame, even in his crazy manner. And I believe that even Mayu observed the huge importance that such amoment had in Yuki's behaviour and life. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
It was spoiler[Shigure who told Ayame about it. Shigure had asked who he was going to have go to the PTA meeting, and Shigure suggested that he should have Ayame come. However, Yuki didn't heed the advice and that's why his mom came. Regardless of not being asked Ayame invited himself anyway and the turnout was good. Mayu used to know Ayame when she was dating Shigure so I guess she wasn't too shocked as their mom was ]Laughing
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Finally got ahold of Vol. 19 Sunday. And, I've read it twice so far. Can't wait for the discussion next week!

Ayame spoiler[certainly proved his worth to Yuki during the conference, but I think another important point about their relationship was made during Yuki's first visit to Ayame's shop. During that trip, Mine says a fight would be good, because it proves that they're acknowledging each other. I think if Yuki and Ayame weren't trying to understand each other a little better at that point, they would have gone back to ignoring each other.]

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Most likely, murph. By the way, thanks, fighterholic, for explaining me. spoiler[Of course Shigure would know about this since he was the one that went to Tohru's parents/teacher conference. I think that it was the first time when Yuki actually acknowledged that a big brother always comes in handy. ]

Also a point of return in their relationship may be the one that Yuki has mentioned when spoiler[Ayame left taken by Hatori the first time he reappeared in their lives. After finding out that Ayame admires very much Hatori, Yuki said that it is a great quality that Ayame possesses so that was definetly a start. Yuki has seen a less selfish face of Ayame and therefore more open to other qualities that may arise at the horizon. Wink ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
No problem, aya_honda. Just ask me and I will confirm the answer to bring any doubts to life in this series Wink
fruitsbasket94

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god. I love kyo more then anyother character! I like how he is so tuff and hardly shows his nice side, but is sooo sweet to tohru. Very Happy
I like him a bit better then Yuki.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
fruitsbasket94 wrote:
Oh my god. I love kyo more then anyother character! I like how he is so tuff and hardly shows his nice side, but is sooo sweet to tohru. Very Happy

Yuki has had to deal with his own issues over the time of the series, but alas, spoiler[his love that he had for Tohru he realized was not that between a man and woman. It was a motherly love he knew he was receiving.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
fruitsbasket94 wrote:

Yuki has had to deal with his own issues over the time of the series, but alas, spoiler[his love that he had for Tohru he realized was not that between a man and woman. It was a motherly love he knew he was receiving.]

Trully, I didn't mind that....at all. Wink spoiler[I always thought that Kyo was best for Thoru. I'm shameless! Laughing ]

Anyways, coming back to Ayame and Yuki, it just crossed my mind that spoiler[perhaps their parents were happy that they didn't have any contact during their childhood. Unfortunately for them I believe that they didn't get to know none of their children. Ayame's entrance in Mayu's office definetly says something. For one thing their mother tells that he was always really unmanageble (but what is to be managed in Ayame? ) and a little bit crazy. As for Yuki, she still sees him as a weak person who so far has done as she pleased and she is shocked when he tells her that he will choose an university of his own. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Ayame spoiler[was always uncontrollable, he even found himself to be on the not so favorite list of Akito, and was not liked by Hiro (though we never saw any interaction between the two, Takaya sensei made mention of it). So for his mother to react the way she did was not surprising. I think he also looked down at his mother because of what her thought process was too, but if she were to insult him or whatever he could just brush it off.]

To Yuki spoiler[his mother had always seemed to stand over him in everything that happened because she basically controlled his life until he got out of the Sohma house. However after the PTA meeting, he noticed a significant change. After their mother was storming off after being proven wrong, she was not so big anymore compared to Yuki. And after that, Yuki was able to go to the Sohma house in secret without having to hear too much from his mother, but then he started to notice change in her as well.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Being the one that has suffered the most due to their parents, Yuki is extremely perceptive at spoiler[the changes that you mentioned, fighterholic. Yuki was the one that has suffered the most due to the fact that his mother has practically sold him for money and importance. And yet I believe that she starts to realize what is going on with her life since when going to have a pass signed by his parents, she says to him not to overwork himself. Which is something that she has never done with either of her sons, Yuki or Ayame. And there we are, seeing her with a motherly attitude (not entirely, but definetly a big plus to her). Ayame I believe that has become too much detached from his parents and I don't think either of them would find a way to relate to this son of theirs.]

And another thing: spoiler[though their father is mentioned (and their relationship with him would have been much easier due to the curse) - they wouldn't transform or anything) he is not presented at all. He is an absent figure par excellence. I wonder what would have said if he would find out that his elder son sells feminine clothes and his other son is known as a prince, although a good fighter (Kyo might add). Shocked ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

And another thing: spoiler[though their father is mentioned (and their relationship with him would have been much easier due to the curse) - they wouldn't transform or anything) he is not presented at all. He is an absent figure par excellence. I wonder what would have said if he would find out that his elder son sells feminine clothes and his other son is known as a prince, although a good fighter (Kyo might add). Shocked ]

I think that Yuki's mother spoiler[would be very surprised to learn that Yuki is considered to be a Prince and that he's the best fighter in the family. She, up until recently, sees him as a puppet or doll that will obey everything that she orders. As for their unseen father - I think that he'd be embarrassed by Ayame. After all, people from nice families really shouldn't do that sorth of thing! But, I think that he'd be somewhat pleased with Yuki's reputation. A bit startled perhaps, because I'm sure that he also thinks of Yuki as a puppet, but he'd would grow to become pleased.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
I don't know if spoiler[their father would actually care about what goes on is his sons' lives. He is never home, it seems, he is always at work. Although he didn't seem to have any say at what was going on with Yuki and such, he didn't intervene as well.] I think though it would have been interesting to see what kind of person their father was.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe he was spoiler[agreeing his wife, wanting no more than power through his son. I wonder however even more what they have done after the curse has been broken. How have they reacted? Because let's face it, maybe all of the sudden people would go to them and say that they no longer are the parents of the mouse and that should not be so full of themselves.] And [warning: spoilers from the last volume Shocked] spoiler[Akito said and promised that she would protect their newly gained freedom. I don't think that in anyways, even though they have grow up a lot, would Yuki or Ayame found themselves in the position to fight for their liberty again. ]

It's sad, you know, really sad: spoiler[for their parents not to know them at all. Even Ayame has a charm of his own and he is the type of person who in real life, the life of the others would seem boring without him in it. I believe that towards the ending their mother realizes her loss, though it's kind of too late to make things right. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 115 of 170