• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses 1997 Berserk Anime, Urusei Yatsura OVAs, Mazinkaiser, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see them license something Mazinger I keep hoping that Grendizer will be soon. I saw a theory that Toei or whoever may want more for the license due to its popularity in Europe, and it sounds just real enough, but nothing to do but continue to wait and hope. With the new Grendizer anime coming it would be a good chance.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:
Every time I see them license something Mazinger I keep hoping that Grendizer will be soon. I saw a theory that Toei or whoever may want more for the license due to its popularity in Europe, and it sounds just real enough, but nothing to do but continue to wait and hope. With the new Grendizer anime coming it would be a good chance.

There's also the Grendizer video game that came out recently (coming soon physically) along with the 90s Mazinger arcade game that got a digital port by Hamster.

Of course with it being Go Nagai, I would buy Grendizer regardless but playing and beating the former at 100% last month got me more interested than usual so I too hope it happens.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Zimmer wrote:

There's also the Grendizer video game that came out recently (coming soon physically) along with the 90s Mazinger arcade game that got a digital port by Hamster.

Of course with it being Go Nagai, I would buy Grendizer regardless but playing and beating the former at 100% last month got me more interested than usual so I too hope it happens.
Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention the game when I was just checking its price? It's all such perfect synergy that it almost feels like they have to announce it now.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess any dubbed Reborn! is an achievement unto itself, I just wish they had the resource to dub more (and for their other releases) but I won't look a crazy Discotek gift horse in the mouth.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
First Contact is one of the greatest features in the franchise! You honestly didn’t like it? Huh.

I would’ve liked it if it the ending didn’t invalidate the entire premise of the special. And then of course you have The Woman Called Mine Fujiko which handles the origin of how Lupin and the others met somewhat better.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 pm Reply with quote
"Futakoi Alternative -- This is the good one!!"

Rare to see a company throw shade at their own titles like that, if they're implying that the original Futakoi isn't good. Which maybe it isn't, in the grand scheme of things, but if you're looking for a cute and cloying harem comedy without much ecchi, it's a decent choice. Futakoi Alternative may be better-regarded overall, but it's certainly one of the most "internally-diverse" anime I've seen. Some episodes and arcs are slow and sleep-inducing, while others are wildly insane.

And just to throw in a little love for Tona-gura!, which hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet...
It's one of those "they don't make 'em like that anymore" 2000s ecchi/harem comedies. As a lesser-known 2006 title coming out during a production glut, Tona-gura! probably missed its window for a traditional US release amidst the 2006-08 anime market slowdown and crash. If you watch the OP linked by Discotek, you can probably tell what you're in for just a mere 5 seconds in. But Tona-gura! didn't merely feature a pantyshot 5 seconds into its opening -- the show has 13 different versions of the opening, and the only difference between them is that Kazuki Arisaka is wearing a different style of panties in each. So expect plenty of male transgressions and slapstick female retaliation, although unlike the Keitarou Urashima ~ Rito Yuuki brand of "lucky pervert," male lead Yuuji Kagura actively commits a fair number of questionable actions.

malvarez1 wrote:
Speaking of, that gives me hope that when Discotek eventually gets to the undubbed Nanoha shows, they can get back the old cast.

I wouldn't count on it -- Discotek doesn't dub anything that isn't a movie or short OVA. I'd have to think that dubbing something like StrikerS (which wasn't terribly well-received back in the day) would be a money-loser.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't count on it -- Discotek doesn't dub anything that isn't a movie or short OVA. I'd have to think that dubbing something like StrikerS (which wasn't terribly well-received back in the day) would be a money-loser.

IIRC, ViVid & ViVid Strike weren't well-received either but for different reasons.
Digimon_Sommelier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:45 am Reply with quote
Am I in the majority here when I say Digimon Adventure 02 should've received a second season with new DigiDestined instead of cramming the cast into plot-less (at least, for the Season 2 cast) movies?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4