• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Ancient Magus' Bride Manga's Return Gets Simultaneous English Release Using AI Translation

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IkariBrendo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
@ IkariBrendo

You have been registered on this site for more than 5 years. I have been registered here for a couple of months and have posted about half the number of comments you have made.

If you weren't so aggressive, arrogant, throwing accusations & slurs and generally being on such a high horse, I would have given you a bit more respect and empathy to your position. I'm sure others who read your comments will feel the same.

Might be something to think about?

I don't see how the number of posts you've made has anything to do with anything here, and I never called you slurs. What the heck are you talking about?

Belkov wrote:
I don't know if you have a stake in this by being a translator by profession but if so, judging by your replies which has nothing to do with what I had said, it's hardly surprising the publishing companies are wanting to use Machine Learning.

I'm a letterer, but it's the same issue; attempts have been made to circumvent giving people like me jobs and the results have been abysmal. And my replies have had much to do with what you've said, but you chose to ignore anyone who wasn't agreeing with you even though you were being told by a professional and someone who has much more knowledge and experience with the industry than you what the reality of things is, and you made up fake scenarios to excuse normalizing the replacement of people's careers with machine translation. I really don't think my attitude on a forum is going to lead to companies wanting to replace me; as far as I can tell, everyone I work with likes me.

Gem-Bug wrote:
I went back and read the last two pages of the thread, and now I don't even know why I replied to you in the first place. I actually agree with what you're saying and may have meant to reply to someone else. Apologies!

You're good! It happens, though I was very confused and taken aback, haha.
Belkov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Thank you ATastySub. As the saying goes never interrupt an opponent while they are making mistakes. With yourself & IkariBrendo, keep it up Laughing

P.S.

If you enjoy wasting your time, knock yourself out and reply back because it makes no sense for me to continue any conversations with both of you as you simply can't put your biases to one side and actually read what people are saying in their posts.

There is also the manipulative toxicity that you bring to the conversation that brings a bad taste to the mouth which I haven't got time for.
Belkov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
Nah he correctly called out your bad faith. You made up a false dichotomy where the choices were

1- machine translation
Or
2- prices of everything goes up to pay actual translators

That’s not what’s happening or ever needs to happen. The companies attempting this are making more money than they ever have. They can easily afford to pay for qualified translators by not hoarding profits. They do not want to do that, and even the machine learning is for the same miserly reason in that they do not care about the consumers, their workers, or the artists making what they’re selling. They simply want to make the most money possible by delivering the lowest quality product possible. By engineering a false scenario where this is totally ok and the only options are to further it you are not arguing in good faith.

That's an extremely bad faith reading of Belkov's post. Statement like a company is making money hand over fist is meaningless if you can't show that particular title is worth it otherwise. What shop would sell an item at a loss, no matter what their overall profit is?

Your post didn't address the second point of his post, that individual creators may possibly use this down the line to translate their own self-published works.

I wouldn't waste my time arguing with the individual.

The point I was making which I see is I had articulated rather clumsily is that ML will allow a whole lot more Manga to be translated than otherwise the case. The only way that this could be done without ML is to employ vastly more employees than there is now to translate these Manga's. The only way that this could be done is to pass the cost onto consumers.

Let's look at this objectively anyway. This is only affecting Japanese companies and their digital publications. It isn't affecting foreign publication companies who can employ humans to do the translations of these publications.

Think about it. Sure a lot of people will only be interested in the digital version but there is a market for paper versions of these Manga's. The publication companies might use ML for the paper versions but the market could decide that they want traditional printing and human translations that is specific to the market that they are in.

As well as that, with the increased quantity of Manga titles that would be there where it not for ML, it will increase the market for the print media, therefore more people will need to be employed to cater for this increasing market.

It's forecast that the market for Anime and Manga sales is going to increase worldwide in the coming years so it doesn't mean that technology is guaranteed to cause a vast cull of jobs.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
[The only way that this could be done is to pass the cost onto consumers.

It's forecast that the market for Anime and Manga sales is going to increase worldwide in the coming years so it doesn't mean that technology is guaranteed to cause a vast cull of jobs.

Hey look it’s the same thing again. There is nothing “objective” about what you’re doing. You’re falsely claiming the only solution is to increase consumer costs, while in the same breath saying that revenue is going up. Gee, wonder why it’s so easy to spot the bad faith construct you made up.

But by all means continue to make up that people called you slurs or whatever because of how thinly veiled your nonsense is.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This thread is getting more than a bit chippy (again), so let's temper the attitudes and accusations (again) or me or another mod will have to start doing some maintenance work here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
The point I was making which I see is I had articulated rather clumsily is that ML will allow a whole lot more Manga to be translated than otherwise the case. The only way that this could be done without ML is to employ vastly more employees than there is now to translate these Manga's. The only way that this could be done is to pass the cost onto consumers.

I don't get the point you're trying to make: If there is a market for a series, there is money for hiring people to localize it. If there is not enough of a market for a certain series to pay for itself, then it shouldn't be done. "It's better than nothing" is what leads to unedited MTL translations of LNs you find all over the internet that are barely legible.

At a certain point, you simply shouldn't do it bc the output reflects poorly on the author's story and effort.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
If there is a market for a series, there is money for hiring people to localize it. If there is not enough of a market for a certain series to pay for itself, then it shouldn't be done. "It's better than nothing" is what leads to unedited MTL translations of LNs you find all over the internet that are barely legible.

At a certain point, you simply shouldn't do it bc the output reflects poorly on the author's story and effort.

And this, I think, is the crux of the matter. Translating is far from the only cost involved in formally releasing a title in another language (even if the intent is only to release it electronically), so getting a cheap translation isn't going to make a title marketable that wasn't marketable in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 16 of 16