• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Boy and the Heron Film Wins Golden Globes' Best Animated Film Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:30 am Reply with quote
Vercinto wrote:
Saw the mOscar's!

The y before yesterday; visually nice, and the other world felt truly otherworldly, IMO, but...

Haven't seen the Wind Rises, but I can't help but think that Howl's Moving Castle was the last Miyazaki's movie that was magical as well.

The Wind Rises was a masterpiece. Definitely check it out when you have a chance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
Sorry to burst bubbles, but https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Feature#Remarks_about_animated_films_as_children's_genre notes that a PG-13 animated film has yet to win an Oscar. And Heron is it. Hopefully, that won't be a problem this time.
<('_')^

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Pretty weak competition aside from maybe Suzume (I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know). Spider-Man being a Part 1 doesn't help it. I'll be surprised if The Boy and the Heron doesn't get the Oscar too, honestly.

Nah, outside of visuals Suzume was a pretty weak film.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:39 am Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
Very happy as well as a bit surprised that western movie critics of everyone seem to have understood the film and are giving it the treatment it deserves.

I sincerely doubt that. I've watched a lot of anime, and most of Miyazaki's films, and the material you cite never crossed my mind. I doubt a random critic in LA has much notion of the things you mentioned.

BTW, I'm not a fan of this film. I think it's one of his weakest with a disconnected story that doesn't really involve the viewer. I also thought there were too many paeans to animation. Why did we have to watch the boy dress himself, not once but twice? Just to see how the clothing was animated? (For reference, Mononoke Hime is a 10/10 on my list. Porco Rosso is probably second.)
Gnarth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I sincerely doubt that. I've watched a lot of anime, and most of Miyazaki's films, and the material you cite never crossed my mind. I doubt a random critic in LA has much notion of the things you mentioned.

Then how has it scored a 91 Metacritic? As you said, if you don't understand or appreciate it's complexity and symbolism, you won't like it, and reading some extracts it looks like some definitely did. I'm surprised too, but that's how it is.

About the clothing thing, it's the same reason we had to see Chihiro walk for minutes in the middle of Spirited Away. It gives you a feeling of groundedness and it gets you closer to the character's experience. This one in particular is a film that requires knowledge and effort to be appreciated and enjoyed, so its bound to be divisive. I'm glad this kind of films exist.
Riku157

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
Questionable choice, but it is what it is.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
Congrats on Miyazaki, I haven't seen the film yet, it will premiere on my country this thursday, but I'll have to wait until next week's wednesday when the ticket prices are lower (I'm not going to spend $5,500 on a movie ticket). I have heard tons of positive things about the movie, I've tried to avoid spoilers, the only criticisms I've heard is that the story is kind of confusing, which is weird since most Miyazaki's movies are pretty straight-forward, I never had any problems understanding them.
Regarding if it's going to win the Academy Award, I think it's possible, Miyazaki is the most famous and acclaimed Japanese animation director, though sometimes I wish some other directors could get at least some recognition as well, and while Hayao said he still has another movie in his mind, this has had the most hype. I know he didn't win for Howl's Moving Castle, though honestly I did found The Curse of the Were-Rabbit as a more entertaining movie, and I didn't think The Wind Rises was one of his better works. In terms of competition, Elemetal is fine but it's not as good as some of Pixar's previous movies and while I think Across the Spider-Verse is excellent, I don't think it had the same impact as the first one. So I think the Academy voters will favor The Boy and the Heron, not that it matters that much since the Academy voters don't seem to understand animation, or manybe films in general, but the Oscar still carries a lot of prestige, whether we like it or not.
I actually find it kind of funny that both Miles Morales from Spider-Verse and Mahito from The Boy and the Heron are dubbed by the same actor in Neutral Spanish, Emilio Treviño. No matter who wins in the end, he's in both movies.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:
Then how has it scored a 91 Metacritic?

Because Western critics have been trained to see Miyazaki as a god of animation. I can list half-a-dozen movies by other filmmakers I've liked more than this one or some of Miyazaki's other works. They rarely get any notice in Western awards ceremonies.

I didn't find the dressing scenes provided any additional "grounding." I'd prefer that to happen in plot and dialogue.
Belkov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear that The Boy and the Heron won a Golden Globe.

It's a shame that Godzilla Minus One didn't even get a nomination though. Hopefully it'll get some recognition at the Oscar's.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I have only seen How Do You[a] Live and Suzume Locking Up and I prefer Suzume myself, but congrats for a Japanese film to win an American award that seems to be a rare thing.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Gnarth wrote:
Very happy as well as a bit surprised that western movie critics of everyone seem to have understood the film and are giving it the treatment it deserves.

You do not need to know about that stuff to appreciate the movie. Watching it as a metacommentary on Miyazaki's own experience is one way it can be appreciated, but even without that it has a lot to offer.
That being said, I do agree that western critics are being a bit overly kind to it. But it's not actually just the critics, it's the audiences that are also really gushing about it overall too. Maybe because it has a bit of everything that people love about Miyazaki...

Personally I prefer his earlier films more, but if he gets his second oscar I'm not complaining one bit. People kind of forgot but the same conversation was being made when Spirited Away was nominated too: a bunch of people were like "well, he should have won for mononoke, but we'll take this as a consolation prize", etc...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I haven't got to see it yet but I'm always happy to see anime get recognition and I appreciate The Boy and the Heron is a movie where opinions are all over the place but it generates a lot of dialog as opposed to just being a safe crowd pleaser film like he easily could have done. I'm also glad to see the English dub has been universally praised and everyone loves Robert Pattinson in the film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Samuel: Well, there wasn't any animation category until recently.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association can suck it. To think that multiple recipients thanked that dissolved clogged toilet at the Globes. Hollywood will never fix itself...

I´ll agree with this though despite liking Spider-man 2 more. I get why the public found the film to be a lesser Ghibli but it isn´t. This is like a Satoshi Kon film from another dimension with zero kids/teen appeal. The audio design is also some of the best I ever heard in a film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3