• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Delicious in Dungeon – Episodes 1-3 Review (Theatrical Screening)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:36 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Trigger don't usually do Manga adaptations, When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace was the last one, I wonder why they decided to adapt this particular title

Ahem that was actually a light novel adaptation thank you Wink
Oh yeah I know that, I just didn't think it mattered.
bacalhauvoador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:47 am Reply with quote
Ngl, i find it a bit hard to believe the animation for the first 3 episodes to only be considered a "c" considering its trigger. Not to doubt richard himself necessarily, i dont really know his other reviews, but saying the animation is fine because there is "Little action" and that the character designs are "quite basic" are already kinda red flags for me when im trying to see someone´s opinion on a visual medium that (from an outsiders perspective) 1. never seemed to be action heavy in the first place, and 2. that its produced by trigger, which despite being indeed amazing at doing fights, also absolutely excels at character acting work (and in general always do very simple designs every single time, its kinda their thing).
lucio542

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:25 am Reply with quote
bacalhauvoador wrote:
Ngl, i find it a bit hard to believe the animation for the first 3 episodes to only be considered a "c" considering its trigger. Not to doubt richard himself necessarily, i dont really know his other reviews, but saying the animation is fine because there is "Little action" and that the character designs are "quite basic" are already kinda red flags for me when im trying to see someone´s opinion on a visual medium that (from an outsiders perspective) 1. never seemed to be action heavy in the first place, and 2. that its produced by trigger, which despite being indeed amazing at doing fights, also absolutely excels at character acting work (and in general always do very simple designs every single time, its kinda their thing).

Yea that didn't convice me at all, if its half of what i saw in the trailer, then it already would be atleast a B for me.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
lucio542 wrote:
bacalhauvoador wrote:
Ngl, i find it a bit hard to believe the animation for the first 3 episodes to only be considered a "c" considering its trigger.

Yea that didn't convice me at all, if its half of what i saw in the trailer, then it already would be atleast a B for me.

Just to be clear, a C ranking by ANN's guidelines means average, not bad. And to add a bit more information, while some scenes were slightly above average in these first three episodes (some of the fight scenes), others were bellow average (static shots where literally no animation was happening because Senshi was talking and his beard hides his mouth).
Mugwug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
While I greatly enjoyed the manga I do remember I found Marcille's reactions to the meals to be somewhat repetitive throughout the first volume or so. The dynamic does mellow out as she gets used to it and larger plot elements take precedence.

In regards to the urgency there's a fact which changes the context somewhat in the manga. The group are under the impression that they have plenty of time to save Falin as Red Dragons enter hibernation after periods of activity and therefore digest food very slowly. I'm not sure if this was left out of the anime or went unnoticed by the reviewer. Either way I personally believe it somewhat justifies the lack of urgent concern they have for rushing into the depths. I understand this may not alleviate the criticism for some though.

Thank you for the review. I appreciate your thoughts and hope to see a full review when the series is out. I'd be curious to hear your opinion on the season.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Mugwug wrote:
In regards to the urgency there's a fact which changes the context somewhat in the manga. The group are under the impression that they have plenty of time to save Falin as Red Dragons enter hibernation after periods of activity and therefore digest food very slowly. I'm not sure if this was left out of the anime or went unnoticed by the reviewer.

This is indeed mentioned in the anime and is part of the "odd tonal juxtaposition" I talked about. It's like the characters have enough to time mess around in the dungeon but not enough time to find more party members or make sure they are properly equipped this time around. It's like the ticking clock only matters when it's not related to eating monsters or learning about them--if that make sense.
Mugwug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
Mugwug wrote:
In regards to the urgency there's a fact which changes the context somewhat in the manga. The group are under the impression that they have plenty of time to save Falin as Red Dragons enter hibernation after periods of activity and therefore digest food very slowly. I'm not sure if this was left out of the anime or went unnoticed by the reviewer.

This is indeed mentioned in the anime and is part of the "odd tonal juxtaposition" I talked about. It's like the characters have enough to time mess around in the dungeon but not enough time to find more party members or make sure they are properly equipped this time around. It's like the ticking clock only matters when it's not related to eating monsters or learning about them--if that make sense.

Hm, I understand your opinion but I'd hesitate to call their activity in the dungeon messing around (at least in the manga). They do go at a fairly slow pace but they need to eat. Going back to town in order to work and make enough money to buy provisions while also finding new party members really does seem like it would take a much longer time to me. Initially I did find their lack of concern for Falin somewhat odd but I reconciled it with the fact that resurrection magic is commonplace and the tragedy of death has been somewhat nullified in this setting by everyone involved having experienced it (literally) before.

That is many words for me to say that I ended up enjoying the story enough to overlook these things. I'm sorry for being difficult and I don't mean to dismiss your criticisms. If my reasoning is the reasoning of the author she very well could have conveyed that better in the first volume of the story.
TandooriJones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Also the main characters are idiots. So that's not really an issue at all.
What do they not come off as idiots in the anime or something? It's pretty clear in the manga.
Mugwug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:55 pm Reply with quote
TandooriJones wrote:
Also the main characters are idiots. So that's not really an issue at all.
What do they not come off as idiots in the anime or something? It's pretty clear in the manga.

This is also true and may be the crux of the complaint. They have their moments but the main cast are quite eccentric. Their overall aloofness is acknowledged by the story later on and affects how some other characters view them.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
Mugwug wrote:

Dunno if spoilers since you are meant to guess this, but I am not sure of WHEN you should:

spoiler[Its strongly hinted Laios its using the "I have no time to lose" as an excuse to eat monsters since its something he always wanted to do.

One of those random things I didn't got from the characters, I frankly feel Laios cares more about horsing around than rescuing his sister and the series seems to enforce this feeling.]
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:43 am Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
lucio542 wrote:
bacalhauvoador wrote:
Ngl, i find it a bit hard to believe the animation for the first 3 episodes to only be considered a "c" considering its trigger.

Just to be clear, a C ranking by ANN's guidelines means average, not bad. And to add a bit more information, while some scenes were slightly above average in these first three episodes (some of the fight scenes), others were bellow average (static shots where literally no animation was happening because Senshi was talking and his beard hides his mouth).

See, I find that hard to believe. Not even because it's not positive enough, but because everywhere else I've seen a very sharp polarization to episode 3. I've seen it described as a highly stylized episode that goes extremely off model and has very dynamic animation, and Japanese fans seem divided in "love it or hate it" camps. Saying "it doesn't stand out positively or negatively" seems weird to me, more so than if the review had said episode 3 looks weird or bad.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:18 am Reply with quote
Either you believe him or not, but you heard it directly from the reviewer. Make your own opinion on it when you get the chance.
SpookyDollhouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, stylized exaggerated "off-model" animation is "bad okay C-" material now? I love you guys lmao
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2