• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La Frontier (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:04 am Reply with quote
I've noticed this before, but anime creators do love their rhinoceros beetles don't they?

Another fun episode. Loved the prismatic forest setting. And PK-san did turn out to be the model on that magazine cover in episode 1! :::::::::chest puffing with pride:::::::::.

(I have so little you see...)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Same here, I love bright and vibrant areas in games, so the prismatic forest was a joy to behold. The bright colors, vibrant plantlife and some fun enemies like the mimic mantis and giant beetle make for a great area to explore. Spiders I am a bit less fond of, but the boss in question looks like it will offer an exciting fight.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
Shangri-La is not the best show of the season, yet it is the one I have the most fun with every week. The fight with the clown spider was pure hectic fun with a nice beat going on and the latter part was interesting. I wonder why miss playerkiller is so interested in killing that one unique monster in particular, given her ominous warning about npc's that might have something to do with it. There was also some romantic progress... I guess?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:00 am Reply with quote
If I'm trying to be objective, Frieren is probably a greater accomplishment artistically, and also awesome to watch. But Shangri-la is right there with it if I'm just talking about my personal faves. As far as brand new anime go, no other new shows come close on my personal radar. This season has tons of solid shows though.

Welp, looks like the unique boss is going to be the season finale. I guess a big boss fight at the end is fitting given the subject matter.

The way Sunraku demolished that clown spider (what a fun fight) and how Blondie was bored fighting bosses in the wilderness pretty clearly illustrated the skill factor that pencil-gon was talking about.

And I can't help but wonder if Rei's judo classes mean she brings more to the game skill wise than she realizes. Her in-game rep seems pretty fierce after all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I agree, I'm loving this show. And it has easily survived the cut in a season where I have been (for me) unusually brutal. I'm down to only 11 titles! By the way, according to MAL this puppy is a 2-cours with 25 episodes - YAY!!! I really love that this isn't a "trapped in a VR game" thing (although it may eventually become that, I suppose) and I like that the show spends time in the real world. If I had any quibble at all it's that I'd like to get more of a sense that there is something more mysterious behind the game itself... which also may be coming.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 10 ! By the way, according to MAL this puppy is a 2-cours with 25 episodes - YAY!!!

That means all 3 of my favorite new shows Frieren, Shangri-la Frontier, and (a somewhat distant third) Apothecary Diaries are all coming back in January. That's so awesome it's almost making me paranoid...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Those three top my list of shows that started this Fall, too and you can throw Under Ninja into the bunch.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:36 am Reply with quote
The underappreciated one I'd add would probably be The Yuzuki Brothers. I was really surprised by how much I liked it when I gave it another chance I'll be checking out Dark Gathering again during the winter lull week too.

I'm still watching 16 shows, and I've already pruned many that I might have stuck with during another season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:47 am Reply with quote
Given how stacked most seasons are now anime wise there will always be several shows that deserve a bit more of the spotlight. Speaking of the spotlight, the rabbits got a fair bit of it this week. We got to learn about another rabbit and we had a rather impressive performance by the big boss himself. The whole rabbit section was very atmospheric.

The bar meeting was also fun, now it is time to grind in order to use those new weapons. That Emul disguise sure was something btw.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
I kind of admire how this anime is willing to take its time and accomplish practically nothing plot wise in order to do scenes the way it wants to. I mean, all that happened in this episode was that a bunny forged 2 knives and 3 people had a brief conversation where all they really accomplished was agreeing to go level somewhere. That's a little frustrating.

But if anyone had ever told me that I'd watch a huge bunny rabbit working at a forge with something like awe for at least ten minutes, I'd have rolled my eyes and made an obscene gesture. How many anime these days give you a unique experience?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
^^Yeah, this Ep showed the hidden depths of SF's quality in writing and anime execution. It's no wonder you and me and other fans watched the forging sequence non-stop, the setup, artwork and singing were all beautiful and very unexpected. Also answered a few questions and organically filled in some of Visachi's backstory and enhanced his characterization in the process.

While I'll put in a good word in the underappreciated department for Buteraba's story (not the animation sadly) this one is on another level from the rest of this season's offerings.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
Interesting episode this week. We get a bit of fishing/grinding and learn a fair bit about Katzo's build: a fist fighting monk. As for Sunraku, he has some information gathering to do since skipping the first town/tutorial may have been a bad move. Linking up skills to do additional effects and making the most of the jobs/quilds sounds like something you would want to do. Though given his reaction at the end, he might just continue to ignore it all.

Also some funny moments. The dating game flashback was something else and the mini at the end was hilarious.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
Yah, great episode all around. Katzo is turning out to be a great addition to the cast. The way Katzo and Sunraku kept razzing each other was amusing, and so was the way Katzo formed an immediate bond with Emul.

Geez, I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think this anime has struck one wrong note on my personal piano scale. I mean, I'm sure I could think of one if I really tried, but why would I? Each episode just flashes by as if I were watching it on 2x speed until I'm left blinking and wishing for more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Fellow SLF fan checking in. I'm generally over "VR fantasy game" shows but this one is a notable exception. It just displays so much imagination, humour and fun week in and week out. The closest thing to a quibble I can come up with is I'd like to see more of Rei/Psyger-0 than we do, but on the other hand there is something to be said about leaving 'em wanting more...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:25 am Reply with quote
My response to him finding out that he was clueless to a good deal of the game's mechanics because he didn't do the tutorial was that it was his own dang fault. Something I had kind of been afraid of at the start was that the series was going to be kind of critical of the sort of playing games as intended. Because you get those kind of gamers that just skip through everything at the start and then start complaining about a game being bad when they complain about a game not be clear what to do, when they skipped the parts of a game doing that. So it did feel cathartic when it finally dropped that he was kind of a doofas for.

Will also say I kind of became a fan of the tank monk, that is a female avatar played by a guy. I think it fits some of my likes of androgyny, but I can't see too much mention anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10