• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anairis Quiñones to No Longer Voice Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Englis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
He did do all of that yes including voicing the character in stuff that took place outside of the DCAU. But even still he wasn’t used in The Batman, Beware The Batman, Young Justice, or Arkham Origins all of which was done around the same time as all the other stuff he voiced the character in.

Like yeah in some American works you can have actors that will voice the same character for decades without them ever being substituted but that’s not for all roles.

He played Dick Grayson's father, John Grayson, in The Batman. He played "Batman of Zur-En-Arrh" in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. He even played Batman in Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? He played Batman in 17 different video games. My point stands that you used probably the worst example of an American VA maintaining a voice over legacy for a character or related property.

Not sure why you're making a "not for all roles" absolute statement? The only absolutes are that there's an absolute exception to them.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
George Newbern replacing Tim Daly as Superman in the DCAU?

Any Transformers property not set in the G1 timeline that brought back Peter Cullen or Frank Welker?

That was a scheduling conflict if memory serves me correctly and he came back for 4 movies playing Superman.

As for Transformers, you name the two VAs anyone can remember by name as your example?

People made a stink about the Rooster Teeth Transformers series not using them but especially not bringing back the original Beast Wars cast. (The recast Beast Wars Megatron was so god awful btw)

People also weren't happy when Cartoon Network recast the Powerpuff Girls.

These show that America does care.
BH0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
GoingOnAnOoting wrote:
But by this logic shouldn't dubbed anime have exclusively asian casts in most cases?

Every time an American anime voice actor that preaches about racial equity is confronted by this, they and/or their circle of followers/friends start doing mental gymnastics to justify not giving up their roles because they subconsciously see the Japanese as honorary aryans.

Last edited by BH0 on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Once upon a time a decent number of dubs were made in Canada at The Ocean Group, not sure about now though.

Canada's mostly just doing prelay work these days. Occasionally you'll get an anime title like Yashahime or World Trigger for the Vancouver pool or Bakugan for Toronto's. But by and large it's stuff made explicitly for the US or Canada.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
?

George Newbern replacing Tim Daly as Superman in the DCAU?

Any Transformers property not set in the G1 timeline that brought back Peter Cullen or Frank Welker?

Newbern and Daly alternate and arguably Daly's done the role as often, if not more than Newbern has. And keep in mind, they're far from the only actor, voice or on-camera, to have played the role to begin with.

Transformers is a different beast outright because even the recasts do have their fans most of the time (I know the WFC trilogy had massive backlash because they went non-union from both fans and voice actors alike. Even the Canadian actors like Garry Chalk weren't happy about it, not just Peter and Frank). I've seen just as many people complain about Peter still being Optimus for as long as he has. And again, the franchise is home to dozens of variations when it comes to who's being voiced by whom. So it's not just Optimus or Megatron, but also Starscream, Shockwave, Ultra Magnus, Jazz, Bumblebee (whenever he's voiced, that is), Grimlock, even more obscure characters like Sky-Byte or Lockdown have multiple actors to them where the recasts and original voices are highly debated upon.

Last edited by Philmister978 on Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:32 pm Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
This just screams incompetence to be honest, given both have had multiple roles in the show. Anairis is doing both Mera and covering Hiyori and Lee's already reprised Tatsuki and was clearly excited about coming back as Yoru. How the hell do you **** that up?

Like, this just makes Studiopolis seems incomptent as hell. Did they even bother to contact Lee in the first place?

Appearing incompetent is better than the alternatives. This joking response from a couple days ago sure feels even more appropriate now though lol - https://twitter.com/benaphil/status/1716285235715862940
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
He's literally playing the role of "Gonzou Kosugi" in a current show, a Japanese character. Asians are people of color as well. Price is just posturing for social media points. If he really meant that statement, he should only be doing voices for clearly white characters. But he's still voicing Asian (Japanese) characters so he's just a hypocrite.

Wendee was unfairly attacked by a lot of people. She said a lot of bad things but people even attacked her for just explaining why the casting was a mistake to begin with.

As an Asian person though, I can't understand why the color of a voice actor matters anyway. Most anime characters are Japanese. Most English voice actors are not Asian. It doesn't matter and roles should not be decided by the actors skin color. It's honestly just racism to choose by skin color. Yoruichi isn't even black. She's Japanese with dark tone. So casting a black actor in the role to "match" wasn't even accurate. Cast for acting ability and if the voice fits the character. Nothing else matters. Cast completely unknown people if need be, if they're the best fit.

We are NOT about to do this revisionist history with Bleach here. You’re saying Yoruichi isn’t BLACK? Would you say the same thing about Tousen Kaname or are you just here to troll? Rolling Eyes

Racists reveal themselves more with every word that comes out of their mouths. Wendee Lee can’t act and she was a total child with this controversy. I won’t be supporting anything this studio dubs in the future.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Why is there always so much drama around US anime dubs? Will that side of the industry ever evolve?

My hot take on recasts: I am a POC and theoretically like it when the casting reflects that but consistency needs to come first. If the new appearance uses old canon and the original actor is available and can still "do the voice" then try your best to get them. If that isn´t possible then get a voicealike. Tim Daly (Superman TAS and last used in 2012) and George Newbern (JL/JLU and last used in 2022) are perfect examples of that. Good luck spotting who did what without further info. D. C. Douglas did that when he first voiced Wesker by aping Richard Waugh in Umbrella Chronicles. Douglas officially became the "new voice" in RE5 and then pushed the acting in a new direction leading to a neat gradual shift. He wasn´t to last either but the guy in RE 4R is quite good too. Sounds like no version before him but it´s too late to fix Capcom's revolving door of voices so shrug. The Japanese VAs for RE have been fully stable since those dubs started in 2012 on the 3DS of all things and are like 98% stable into 2023. Surprising no one here. Japanese dubs are built differently.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
Racists reveal themselves more with every word that comes out of their mouths. Wendee Lee can’t act.

Nope, nope, we’re not doing this. If you think she’s an abhorrent person, that’s fine, but let’s not pretend this suddenly makes her a bad actress. That’s stupid.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I’m entitled to my own opinion. Her range stops at “Faye Valentine.”
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I know exactly one example from the top of my head where the old actor "got the job back" and then re-recorded the already released previous lines of the new actor. LeChuck in Monkey Island 5. Earl Boen not only finished out the role as you can see but also redid the lines by Adam Harrington in EP 1. A good choice if you ask me. That happened in late 2009 and 2010. The artist formerly known as Twitter was already a thing. Bleach is now my 2nd go-to example but the circumstances here are more... interesting for sure.

PS: Lee isn´t just a VA, she is also an ADR director. Objectively a pro by the standards of US anime dubs. I plead the 5th on anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
We are NOT about to do this revisionist history with Bleach here. You’re saying Yoruichi isn’t BLACK? Would you say the same thing about Tousen Kaname or are you just here to troll? Rolling Eyes

That's not what revisionist history is. You have to agree on something or present an undisputed fact before someone can try to revise it. The burden of proof should be on person making a claim, not the other side to disprove it. Occam's Razor would have us assume Yoruichi is Japanese just like every other character in the show unless otherwise stated, which Kubo has had no issues doing so in the past such as we've seen with Sado.

The alternative is to assume Kubo simply forgot to mention Yoruichi is also mixed race or a foreigner. But given the characters name, and her entire power-set being based off the raijin, the safest bet is to assume she's Japanese just like Rukia, Byakuya, and all the other characters no one ever questions the ethnicity of. Nor do people seem to mind Rukia being voiced by Michelle Ruff, or any of the other Japanese characters being voiced by non-Japanese actors.

The only argument people have about Yoruichi being Black is she has a darker skin color than the other characters, but Black people do not have a monopoly on that. That's just as much evidence to suggest she's South Asian. Indian, Polynesian, or any of the other ethnicity that can have dark skin, which includes plenty of other Asian groups as well if one wants to keep the character within the Asian territories. I assume it's the same reason why you see people assume anime characters are white or look white: ethnocentrism.

As most of this discussion happens in America people often only look at things from an American perspective where racial issues are primarily dominated by White/Black talking points, leaving alternative views and arguments to be overshadowed. Perhaps in the Hindi anime fandom you'll find many people saying Yoruichi must be Indian, since that would be more relevant to them. Perhaps those in the Pacific Islands would think she's Polynesian. Those arguments have the same amount of weight as the one being presented by those saying she's Black.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:24 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
That's not what revisionist history is. You have to agree on something or present an undisputed fact before someone can try to revise it. The burden of proof should be on person making a claim, not the other side to disprove it. Occam's Razor would have us assume Yoruichi is Japanese just like every other character in the show unless otherwise stated, which Kubo has had no issues doing so in the past such as we've seen with Sado.

I’ll stop you there. The “revisionist history” comes from a certain segment of the fandom that suddenly want to act like Yoruichi isn’t black — even though the discourse has been commonly agreed upon for nearly two decades.

Are you saying that Tousen is Japanese? Komamura? Nimaiya Oetsu? Rabu Aikawa? Do any of these characters look phenotypically Japanese? One is a literal wolf.

Maybe you haven’t realized this, but Bleach characters don’t actually have names Japanese people would have in real life. Their names are chosen to allude their character traits or abilities… just like in My Hero Academia (or Marvel heroes). The same is true in Burn The Witch.

FeelMyBlade wrote:
The alternative is to assume Kubo simply forgot to mention Yoruichi is also mixed race or a foreigner. But given the characters name, and her entire power-set being based off the raijin, the safest bet is to assume she's Japanese just like Rukia, Byakuya, and all the other characters no one ever questions the ethnicity of.

This is a ridiculous, fallacious argument and only is ever made by arrogant Westerners who assume that they understand Japanese culture.

The Hollows are based off the Buddhist concept of Preta in Samsara. They have Hispanic names combined with that of famous architects and designers. Does that mean that the Hollows are all Latino (Zommari included)? Or are they Indian because they’ve been derived from a religious concept from India?

Bleach has ALWAYS been multiracial and this argument insisting that all characters with Japanese names are racially Japanese is one of the most foolish things I’ve heard spoken about the series.

FeelMyBlade wrote:
Nor do people seem to mind Rukia being voiced by Michelle Ruff, or any of the other Japanese characters being voiced by non-Japanese actors.

The voice acting industry in the USA is predominately run by White Americans. It is only recently when roles for other ethnicities have become more prevalent in the industry — just look at the casts of series dubbed 20+ years ago.

Bleach being multi-ethnic means that Rukia isn’t necessarily Japanese. She COULD be, but keep in mind that Kubo romanized her name as Rukia Rotwood in the first volume.

FeelMyBlade wrote:
The only argument people have about Yoruichi being Black is she has a darker skin color than the other characters, but Black people do not have a monopoly on that. That's just as much evidence to suggest she's South Asian. Indian, Polynesian, or any of the other ethnicity that can have dark skin, which includes plenty of other Asian groups as well if one wants to keep the character within the Asian territories. I assume it's the same reason why you see people assume anime characters are white or look white: ethnocentrism.

As most of this discussion happens in America people often only look at things from an American perspective where racial issues are primarily dominated by White/Black talking points, leaving alternative views and arguments to be overshadowed. Perhaps in the Hindi anime fandom you'll find many people saying Yoruichi must be Indian, since that would be more relevant to them. Perhaps those in the Pacific Islands would think she's Polynesian. Those arguments have the same amount of weight as the one being presented by those saying she's Black.

I can understand the argument that she might be Indian, but let’s be intellectually honest and note that Yoruichi’s skin tone is darker than that of South Asian or Polynesian people. Let’s also recognize that those who complain about her being Black tend to be driven by their own prejudices, as is apparent and common in these fandoms.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Studiopolis screwed up badly, and Wendee Lee made it 1000% worse with her trashy Twitter tirade. I feel bad for Anairis.

Also found this interesting post from Wendee Lee in 2021. She called Yoruichi a woman of color, and proceeded to use the Black Anime History Month hashtag.
https://nitter.net/TheRedUsagiVO/status/1716204248479027474#m
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:47 am Reply with quote
Mr. Toto & FeelMyBlade, your conversation can stop there. You're derailing the thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:17 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Why is there always so much drama around US anime dubs? Will that side of the industry ever evolve?

Kind of a rhetorical question, I know, but: dubbed anime is the more "mainstream" side of things, people (especially the younger, more-online crowd) have an extreme interest in voice actors far above anyone else involved in production, and actors are part-time publicists who spend a lot of time on social media. It's a perfect setup for hot scandals, so it's no surprise how frequently it happens. And this particular one is like sitcom levels of awkward... seemingly hiring a matching POC actor only to reveal it was a mistake and kicking them out? Is this an attempt at viral marketing, or what?

Drama about actors and the public's obsession with it is a tale as old as time, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. At least, not unless they find a way to replace them all with AI, and then we can all be mad about that instead.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:13 am Reply with quote
Times like this I'm glad I bailed from the Bleach fandom so long ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10