• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anairis Quiñones to No Longer Voice Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Englis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
A large chunk of anime is done in a single location from my understanding which is located somewhere in TX. I do not know if CR using other locations but thats the one doing the dubbing so most of anime in the US IS done in a single location.

Your understanding is wrong. There are at least four locations commonly used for anime in America. The first being in Dallas, Texas, which is what Crunchyroll owns. The second most common location is in the LA area, where there are several dubbing studios that work in anime including Studiopolis, Bang Zoom and others, which Crunchyroll outsources to and Netflix uses as a primary. There's a second studio in Houston, Texas, which is used by Sentai. And the least used for anime is in Canada, which dubbed InuYasha, much of the Beyblade franchise, and most recently The Adventure of Dai.

Adding an extra layer onto why VAs change so frequently is the fact that the LA-based studios work under SAG-AFTRA, while Texas is anti-union, and Canadian actors aren't members of the union in the US. So if a video game gets an anime adaptation, the video game might have been dubbed by SAG-AFTRA, but the company most likely to get the rights to it will be Crunchyroll, and unless they choose to outsource the project to an LA studio, they're likely to replace the cast. See the Trails of Cold Steel anime.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Yeah sorry, I do not believe for a second that the talent coordinator and everyone else involved in such a high-profile sequel (one they've had to do a ton of research for beforehand when it comes to contacting reprisal actors as well as finding new cast members) thought this was a brand new character.

I'm not sure if this is what they're claiming? This:

There was a misunderstanding that "Yoruichi Shihoin" was part of the list of the original cast members who were unavailable to participate in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War.

Sounds like it means "we didn't think the original VA was available" (which is a little embarrassing but not totally unbelievable), not "we didn't think Yoruichi was a character who appeared in the original series" (which does beggar belief).
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Reading the statement from Studiopolis, I understand how it happened, but I think where they messed up was in trying to "correct" the problem without understanding the optics and morality of doing so.

I understand the desire to have casting carry over from show to show. But this isn't like the Digimon Tri/LEK/movie dubs, where there are no characters specifically coded as POC. I think they should have rolled with this and let Anairis Quiñones shine. There are a million other parts out there for Wendee Lee.
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
A large chunk of anime is done in a single location from my understanding which is located somewhere in TX. I do not know if CR using other locations but thats the one doing the dubbing so most of anime in the US IS done in a single location.

Just wanted to throw out that there are three big dubbing locations in the US. New York(NYAV Post), Texas(Funimation), and California(Bang Zoom). Crunchyroll/Funimation dub out of Texas and California, Aniplex dubs out of California, not sure who Sentai goes to, and smaller licensors have a tendency to use New York. Funimation/Crunchy primarily use Texas because Funimation has their own in-house dubbing studio, but they sometimes go to Bang Zoom in California because there are a lot of veteran voice actors there like Crispin Freeman. Once upon a time a decent number of dubs were made in Canada at The Ocean Group, not sure about now though.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
[Just wanted to throw out that there are three big dubbing locations in the US. New York(NYAV Post), Texas(Funimation), and California(Bang Zoom). Crunchyroll/Funimation dub out of Texas and California, Aniplex dubs out of California, not sure who Sentai goes to, and smaller licensors have a tendency to use New York.

I missed New York, but covered this in more detail further up.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:45 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I'm not sure if this is what they're claiming? This:

There was a misunderstanding that "Yoruichi Shihoin" was part of the list of the original cast members who were unavailable to participate in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War.

Sounds like it means "we didn't think the original VA was available" (which is a little embarrassing but not totally unbelievable), not "we didn't think Yoruichi was a character who appeared in the original series" (which does beggar belief).

Yeah I definitely read the statement too quickly my bad, but honestly this isn't any more believable to me. Wendee Lee was already recording numerous other characters in TYBW. Even if it was a simple typo or error on a spreadsheet, someone in the pipeline would have caught it before it got to the point they said it did.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Studiopolis’ response is pathetic. Do they really expect us to believe that excuse? The truth is, they caved to pressure from the lowest common denominator.

No offense, but do you have any proof to say that this is actually true?
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:21 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
I missed New York, but covered this in more detail further up.

Regardless, a large chunk is done in TX and even if it weren't, I pointed out that doesn't matter anymore and can be done from most anywhere in the world (Albeit not everywhere in the world as parts of the world still have lower tech and or worse internet). I also want to ask the question since it wasn't mentioned (And I hadn't intended to ask till now) but where even in Japan does most of the VA take place? If its truly just a few places, like the US, then if Japan can have so many VA stay the same I don't see why the US can't as well. (Besides greed ofc, since I know some are gonna mention in response to what I just said, union vs non union, worth mention I've no idea if Japan has a similar thing or not though) and even if its not then again, the US has a way to now do it outside of where they've been recording. A shame though that they seem to have stopped using the tech.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
I'm not sure which America you're from but legacy voice acting is definitely a thing. Just take your Kevin Conroy example. He was the DCAU Batman in Batman TAS, The New Batman Adventures, guest starred on Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, guest starred on The Zeta Project, Justice League, guest starred on Static Shock, Justice League Unlimited, and several feature length movies.

He did do all of that yes including voicing the character in stuff that took place outside of the DCAU. But even still he wasn’t used in The Batman, Beware The Batman, Young Justice, or Arkham Origins all of which was done around the same time as all the other stuff he voiced the character in.

Like yeah in some American works you can have actors that will voice the same character for decades without them ever being substituted but that’s not for all roles.

Richmyster84 wrote:
Really it's only when a show is rebooted that they change VAs because they are going in a different direction from the original and want to make sure the audience doesn't confuse the new show with older versions.

?

George Newbern replacing Tim Daly as Superman in the DCAU?

Any Transformers property not set in the G1 timeline that brought back Peter Cullen or Frank Welker?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Just wanted to throw out that there are three big dubbing locations in the US. New York(NYAV Post), Texas(Funimation), and California(Bang Zoom). Crunchyroll/Funimation dub out of Texas and California, Aniplex dubs out of California, not sure who Sentai goes to, and smaller licensors have a tendency to use New York.

Sentai dubs out of Texas in the Houston area (like ADV did back in the day which also included Austin) while Funiroll dubs out of Dallas.

Quote:
Once upon a time a decent number of dubs were made in Canada at The Ocean Group, not sure about now though.

Ocean's dubs these days are if commissioned by Japanese companies (see Toei & Bushiroad) but it's true, they were used a lot in the 90s and early-mid 00s.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Regardless, a large chunk is done in TX and even if it weren't, I pointed out that doesn't matter anymore and can be done from most anywhere in the world

A "large chunk" as in less than 50% of the voicework in English dubs. You can say "I'm talking about anime," but we're talking about keeping the same voice actors between different series, different licensors, and different forms of media. As I've already pointed out with Trails of Cold Steel, most of those actors are union and centered in LA, so when it came time for CR to simuldub the series, the majority were replaced without warning.

And, no, it can't be done most anywhere. You need the proper equipment. Most VA's have to live near a voice acting hub like LA, Houston, Austin, or New York if they want to continue working, and in the case of returning series, the licensing company has to contract out to other studios. Quality equipment is generally too expensive for home use, especially when most VA's work for so little per project.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:14 pm Reply with quote
And another thing: Why is Studiopolis only coming out with a statement now? Why was Anairis Quiñones hung out to dry?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a misunderstanding that "Yoruichi Shihoin" was part of the list of the original cast members who were unavailable to participate in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War

This just screams incompetence to be honest, given both have had multiple roles in the show. Anairis is doing both Mera and covering Hiyori and Lee's already reprised Tatsuki and was clearly excited about coming back as Yoru. How the hell do you **** that up?

Like, this just makes Studiopolis seems incomptent as hell. Did they even bother to contact Lee in the first place?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
No offense, but do you have any proof to say that this is actually true?

A PoC was given the part, racists complained, the PoC was relieved of the part. Correlation may not necessarily imply causation, but there's certainly enough evidence there to conclude it did in this case. What do you think happened? The bullshit Studiopolis just described? Don't be naive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:28 pm Reply with quote
LossThief pretty much summed it up. I 100% believe in the carelessness/incompetence. The studio kowtowing to online trolls is laughable considering they are spammed with "Bring back David Lodge! Bring back Roger Craig Smith!" on every post they make.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10