• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Anime License Holy Grail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Mine would be:

Touch: From the creator of "Cross Game" and "Mix" -- the latter of which is set at the same school the characters from "Touch" went to. "Touch" is the best sports anime I've ever seen, and like all of Mitsuru Adachi's works, the sport is more a backdrop for the character drama -- something to give the characters direction -- than the focus of the anime itself. Watch "Mix." Buy "Mix." Let Viz know people like Mitsuru Adachi's stuff, because there's plenty more where this came from.

3,000 Leagues in Search of Mother: The best of the World Masterpiece Theater shows I've seen. An Italian boy's mother goes to Argentina to earn money for the family, and when her letters suddenly stop arriving he goes to incredible lengths to try to find her. Having seen other works by Isao Takahata, I knew that punches would not necessarily be pulled, so I went into the finale having no idea how things would turn out. I was fortunate enough to snag an old Taiwanese DVD set of this series that has English subtitles. The subs are serviceable. They wouldn't pass muster for a North American release, but they get the point across well enough, and without any "90's Hong Kong movie" type hilarity.

Windaria: A fantasy anime I rented repeatedly from Blockbuster, eventually bought on VHS, and finally purchased on R2 Japanese DVD. Thing is, it had a rather heavily localized adaptation by Streamline Pictures, it's missing a couple of shots here and there, and like just about everything Streamline put out, no subtitled version was offered. To this day, there has never been an uncut subtitled version with the original music. I wish somebody would get on that.

Space Battleship Yamato TV: Similar to the case with "Windaria" we just can't seem to get the original version of these shows in English. Fans let go of "Starblazers" long ago; I wish the companies handling its release could do the same.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:19 am Reply with quote
I want more hentai to get licensed + released uncensored. Like Futanari Idol.
nyaa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
Count me in for Maison Ikkoku, I managed to get 7 of the 8 dvd sets that were released but that goddamn 8th set was a holy grail that never materialized for me. It looks great on bluray btw.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:47 am Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:

I want more hentai to get licensed + released uncensored. Like Futanari Idol.

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend! Laughing
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:54 am Reply with quote
Akahori Gedou Hour Rabuge. Yeah, there's a lot of copyright issues keeping it in Japan and the Love Pheromone duo consisting of a lolicon and shotacon probably wouldn't fly (without severe backlash) stateside, but that anime is ultimately responsible for "hypothetical anime" being a thing I do, so it's only fair that I repay them.

There's a lot of others, too, but that's the big one.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
Although I agree with everything on the list, Angel's Egg deserve to get a uncut release. Hopefully Arrow Film can get the license for a uncut release for a future 4K UHD BD release of In the Aftermath as a special feature.

There is one anime that I think really deserve a US release, Sonic Soldier Borgman and all of it's OVAs. I'm aware that Lover's Rain and Last Battle were previously released by ADV Films in the US, but no one has licensed it since then. I know a Borgman video game for Sega Master System under the name Cyborg Hunter when it came out in the US. I first learned about the anime via a documentary video from GTV Japan on Youtube. I'm currently watching the anime on Youtube (yep, it's fansubbed, and surprisingly it still on there since it was uploaded 6 years ago). I would love to see Discotek or Funimation/Crunchyroll pick up the license for the anime TV series including the OVAs for a US home video release.

I'm sure there are other anime that do deserve a US release but it's going to take some time for US license to be clear up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
immortal1982

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'll throw a silly old series out there. Maze: The Megaburst space was a Fantasy and sci-fi isekai from the old CPM days that never got picked up again after going long out of print. Its worth it to just hear seki have a performance so over the top and ham, it makes his gilgamesh look absolutely humble.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Lots of great mentions here like Strike the Blood OVAs, Minami-ke, Akazukin Chacha, and Showa Rakugo among others.

I'll add Ebichu & Teekyuu to the list. I'd love to have those hilarious series on my shelf.

In fact there are a lot of short episode length series like Teekyuu that I'd love to have, but will probably never be picked up due to the (presumably) low profit margin.

MiniMarps wrote:
I just wish all the licenses for Non Non Biyori were held by a single company. As it stands, Sentai has Season 1 and the movie, Crunchyroll has just Season 3 for some reason, and I'm pretty sure there is no way of (legally) watching Season 2 in the United States right now. I don't understand how things like that happen.

I'm not sure about streaming, but Sentai has all of Biyori on BD afaik

trilaan wrote:
Sexy Commando, of course.

I'm glad someone else has seen this Laughing
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
My license Holy Grain is 4-tiered actually.

Tier 1 (lowest): the first 5 Pokemon movies (from the Original Series) all remastered form film, and with official subs. Is it too much to ask for good subs? (faithful yet natural, not word for word, some leeway is fine)

Tier 2 (we're rising up now): the entire Original Series of Pokemon subbed. I know the first episode was remastered in Japan, and fansubbed shortly. A full subbed release of the first series is not impossible, or even very hard to release. It will make a profit, guaranteed. It is also very possible to fix the Porygon episode, just use some basic masking tool and replace the seizure effect with something else.

Tier 3 (near the top): the first 5 Pokemon movies partly redubbed. Asking for this because the original dub was GOOD, just a shame there were a few sections in movies 1 and 2 that bulldozed over the original script (Mewtwo wondering if God created him, the flood prophecy out of nowhere, Mew insisting original pokemon are true while clones will always be fake, Prof. Oak theorizing lightning helped create life, Ash suddenly being the chosen one from yet ANOTHER prophecy, etc). Movies 4 and 5 need a few replacements as well. 3rd can just be left as is, that is the best dub of them all. I am only asking for this because Digimon got almost the same treatment, so I know it's possible. Digimon Movie got redubbed completely with largely the same cast but kept most of the original tone. 4kids' Pokemon dub was actually excellent (censorship and changes aside), so that is why I do not see any reason to replace the old dub entirely, just a few short sections here and there.

A big reason for me to care for this partial redub idea instead of just a sub (the easiest option), is because the american replacement score for movies 1-3 is actually excellent, and with Spell of the Unown, superior to the japanese somehow (guess Shinji Miyazaki was tired and did not have much time to compose). Ralph Schuckett was a genius. I want to watch the movies with the great alternate score, and not to cringe at the few stupid moments of the dub.

Tier 4 (God I wish): the same treatment for the english dub of the entire Original Series. Re-dub a few sections of censorship and pointless replacements (jelly donuts anyone?). This will probably not happen, but once again it is possible.

Fingers crossed, at least for tiers 1 through 3.

Last edited by KlarkKentThe3rd on Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:
I just wish all the licenses for Non Non Biyori were held by a single company. As it stands, Sentai has Season 1 and the movie, Crunchyroll has just Season 3 for some reason, and I'm pretty sure there is no way of (legally) watching Season 2 in the United States right now. I don't understand how things like that happen.

Sentai has the two first seasons on Bluray. 3rd season is at least not yet on Bluray in English.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Mine would be:

Touch: From the creator of "Cross Game" and "Mix" -- the latter of which is set at the same school the characters from "Touch" went to. "Touch" is the best sports anime I've ever seen, and like all of Mitsuru Adachi's works, the sport is more a backdrop for the character drama -- something to give the characters direction -- than the focus of the anime itself. Watch "Mix." Buy "Mix." Let Viz know people like Mitsuru Adachi's stuff, because there's plenty more where this came from.

3,000 Leagues in Search of Mother: The best of the World Masterpiece Theater shows I've seen. An Italian boy's mother goes to Argentina to earn money for the family, and when her letters suddenly stop arriving he goes to incredible lengths to try to find her. Having seen other works by Isao Takahata, I knew that punches would not necessarily be pulled, so I went into the finale having no idea how things would turn out. I was fortunate enough to snag an old Taiwanese DVD set of this series that has English subtitles. The subs are serviceable. They wouldn't pass muster for a North American release, but they get the point across well enough, and without any "90's Hong Kong movie" type hilarity.

Windaria: A fantasy anime I rented repeatedly from Blockbuster, eventually bought on VHS, and finally purchased on R2 Japanese DVD. Thing is, it had a rather heavily localized adaptation by Streamline Pictures, it's missing a couple of shots here and there, and like just about everything Streamline put out, no subtitled version was offered. To this day, there has never been an uncut subtitled version with the original music. I wish somebody would get on that.

Space Battleship Yamato TV: Similar to the case with "Windaria" we just can't seem to get the original version of these shows in English. Fans let go of "Starblazers" long ago; I wish the companies handling its release could do the same.

Touch... Windaria... Is that you, Justin Sevakis?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Covnam wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:

Sentai has the two first seasons on Bluray. 3rd season is at least not yet on Bluray in English.

Well that's weird. I checked out Sentai's site to confirm it and you're right. That's surprising, because MVM in the UK only recently put out all three seasons & the movie on as separate blu rays. They tend to mostly put out Sentai titles over here using the same masters, region changed - even their special editions are just slightly budget versions of the Sentai editions - so I figured there was already a US set out.

I wonder if they had to license that season separately from the rest? Well, all the more reason to invest in a multi-region player I guess
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Well that's weird. I checked out Sentai's site to confirm it and you're right. That's surprising, because MVM in the UK only recently put out all three seasons & the movie on as separate blu rays. They tend to mostly put out Sentai titles over here using the same masters, region changed - even their special editions are just slightly budget versions of the Sentai editions - so I figured there was already a US set out.

I checked again, and seems I was wrong. The Complete Collection on Sentai's site includes both 1 and 2 seasons (hence ~600min), and the Non Non Biyori Nonstop Collection is the third season (~325min). So yes, Sentai has released all three.

I guess I got a bit confused on the names, s2:Non Non Biyori Repeat, s3:Non Non Biyori Nonstop...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
staab99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
We need Fantastic Children with a brand new English dub. That would be a blessing.

I also would like Now and Then, here and there on blu ray. It's one of best gems that CPM released.

Sexy Commando is a must but what about The Ping Pong Club? Such a raunchy comedy and I am still proud I own that dvd box set.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
staab99 wrote:
We need Fantastic Children with a brand new English dub. That would be a blessing.

I am a simple man: I see Fantastic Children mentioned, I give you a thumbs up.

I personally would love the alternate instrumental version of Voyage to be included on CD somehow. It was only released for compressed digital download in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9