• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Network is on Bluesky

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vorkedlarfleeze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
If I'm being honest I have not seen anyone say they move to any of these other social media platforms because they're better platforms in of themselves. I've only seen people do so because they say they hate Elon Musk and don't want to support him or X anymore. I mean, if Bluesky doesn't even have basic features like DMs or animated gifs then it clearly can't be an incentive about it providing a better service. It's like how no one uses sites like Rumble or BitChute except for people who got banned from YouTube because there's legitimately no other reason to ever go to those sites. Even with some of the odd changes X makes it still seems like it's way better than those other sites in that case, and a lot of the changes aren't even bad like community notes are probably the best feature I've ever seen implemented there and helps to fact check people on the fly.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can't leave Twitter/X since I never joined it in the first place. Since I have managed fine without it, I suspect I can manage without Bluesky as well.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
has an already centralized instance compared to Mastodon

After having bounced around several social media sites, I have to say I don't think this is an advantage at all. On any site that is being run by a business that lets you use it for "free," they will inevitably fall back to selling your history and biometric data to advertisers to serve you customized ads. They will tweak their interface and features based on what will keep you addicted and engaged, not what is actually useful. They will sell you out as soon as the next idiot billionaire comes along who is willing to pay $44B because he wants to force people to like him and will destroy the site when he realizes it's bleeding money.

I realize the extra step necessary ("What instance do I use?") is a hurdle for some users, but it's really the only solution I've seen to those problems. Mastodon (and Firefish, and Misskey, and etc.) instances have no ads, nobody selling your data, they're not designed to expose you to content that will make you angry, they don't have people arbitrarily taking features away, and they're run by volunteers who are part of the community and are invested in it. I haven't seen any of the rampant transphobia and racism that is all over Twitter nowadays on Mastodon; I know it's out there, but reputable instance admins will quickly defederate from other instances that allow it. And Bluesky... has a literal "how much racism do you want to see?" slider. (plus no DMs, no pinned posts, no private accounts...)
Zoltan Kakler wrote:
Most of Japan doesn't use any of these alternative sites so they're not much use to me.

While Twitter is still the most popular, a lot of JP artists I know have also started using Misskey, and after getting into the Fediverse for a while, I've also discovered a lot of artists on Misskey I never knew about because they don't touch Twitter. It's definitely a smaller but viable alternative.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I locked my account on Twitter and barely post there these days. I just go for news about things I am interested in.

At one time it was my go to social media site. Sadly I don’t think there is an alt site that really encompasses everything Twitter did at its height. People are moving but not everyone is moving to the same places and it’s like every Alt social media site has holes.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I've never had and never wanted to have a Twitter account, so all I've done is watch these services become more and more unusable for those who aren't logged in. Twitter fully blocked guests for a good month or two, but even now you can only see the initial linked tweet and none of the replies. Bluesky seems completely locked out to me, so it's useless.
Sailor Xan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
This news brightened my day. You should give Mastodon a shot too!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:16 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Would love to see you on Threads and Mastodon too. Mastodon even has an API, so cross-posting tools should work for it just fine.

Working on Threads.

Mastodon isn't on the to-do list yet.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:41 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame but a understandable one. Thanks for the heads up. Mastodon while very good it's not something your average internet user can setup.
Hopeless Weeb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:51 am Reply with quote
Mastodon being decentralised really can lead to some undesirable ends, just look at what happened when people started jumping ship from Reddit to Lemmy (another part of the fediverse) - there was mass sign-ups (relatively speaking) to the "official" Lemmy-instance run by the developers, yet what people found out the hard way was that said developers were actual diehard communists who deleted any and all critique of China because they consider it "orientalism", even if said critique came from a Chinese person.... Decentralisation can be both a blessing and curse, you still have to read the fine print.

As for this...I don't actually use social media so this impacts me naught, though BlueSky is kinda iffy from what I've read about it.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:21 am Reply with quote
I am completely locked out from looking at the Bluesky page due to the site's registration being invite-only.

I have been on Twitter/X for over 10 years, but it doesn't always sit well with me the numerous things that Musk has done to the site ever since he took over.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:49 am Reply with quote
vorkedlarfleeze wrote:
If I'm being honest I have not seen anyone say they move to any of these other social media platforms because they're better platforms in of themselves. I've only seen people do so because they say they hate Elon Musk and don't want to support him or X anymore.

Little bit of both here? Yes, I dropped off Twitter a year ago because I found it morally repugnant to generate free content for its new nazi-adjacent sack of shit owner. (Before you conclude from this that I’m a lefty, I’d actually describe my politics as somewhere between bleedingheartlibertarians.com and The Lincoln Project.)

But the thing about Mastodon is, I’d had an account for four years prior, and what I found as I further engaged with the platform is that it has a lot to like. Third-party clients, which were severely limited on Twitter before being banned outright, are thriving on Mastodon, which gives you all kinds of options for how to read your feed (I use Toot! on iPad and Ice Cubes on iPhone and Mac). There’s also this neat feature where you can target the important part of any image you post, and clients will use that when cropping or scaling in the timeline, so you don’t get the good part of the image cut off. And of course I can’t imagine going back to a platform without editing, or one that’s filled with ads (Threads will have ads eventually; Instagram isn’t offering the site out of the goodness of their hearts.)

In the long run, if Threads follows through with ActivityPub integration, maybe the difference between Threads and Mastodon won’t matter. In theory, at least, a Mastodon user would be able to follow an @[email protected] account just like any other Fediverse identity.

ZelosZoidberg wrote:
That's a shame but a understandable one. Thanks for the heads up. Mastodon while very good it's not something your average internet user can setup.

I think the difficulty of using Mastodon has been substantially exaggerated, at least when it comes to normal users. It’s not hard to create an account and get started, provided you know one or more people to follow, and can inspect their follows/followers to build an initial list of interesting accounts. There are also anime-friendly instances like urusei.social that are a good place to get started. Where I do think it’s complicated is running your own instance, and I wouldn’t doubt that’s well beyond the means of ANN, considering this site is still running 20-year-old forum software.
chikorita157

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
I don’t get why one would choose BlueSky over something like Mastodon since it’s more closed off. You can’t view posts without an account and it’s invite only. I criticized them on Mastodon for the decision to go to BlueSky.

I run a Mastodon instance that is Japanese Media oriented, but with a focus on creators, although fans can join called Sakurajima (I created it after Elon bought Twitter), and it’s listed on JoinMastodon, which is an active community.

Believe it or not, I set up an AnimeNewsNetwork RSS bot since I don’t think they will ever set up an unofficial one at @[email protected]. There is a demand for it as there are 500 followers. The good thing about Mastodon is it has an open API and there is already a good number of integrations available to automate the process. Threads do not even have an open API, and they do plan to federate with ActivityPub. I think doing Mastodon instead of Threads would be easier.

I would suggest if ANN wants to go to Mastodon, is to perhaps get a managed solution like from Masto Host and then host their server and host it at mastodon.animenewsnetwork.com or something like it. Then they can give staff members accounts on that server while hosting the official ANN account there, which can just be an RSS bot, something that Arstechnica does on Mastodon.

As always, if ANN decides to go to Mastodon, I’m happy to give them the followers of the ANN RSS bot.

But yes, Mastodon is not that hard once you start using it, especially if one uses a client.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:59 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Mastodon while very good it's not something your average internet user can setup.

I think the "Mastodon is hard" meme has done more to discourage use of Mastodon than the actual difficulty involved in using it. I know plenty of people who use it and are not remotely technically inclined.

Conceptually, it's the same thing as e-mail, which everybody already understands; you can have an e-mail account on Gmail or Yahoo or MSN or AOL and they can all talk to each other. Fedi is the same way; Mastodon is just one of the different types of servers. You can even run your own server if you're inclined to do so, but you don't have to.

"Where do I sign up?" is the hardest question, and there are sites that are designed to give suggestions (like https://joinmastodon.org/ or https://joinfirefish.org/), but I suspect most anime weebs here would be happy with https://urusai.social or https://sakurajima.social or https://sakurajima.moe. https://meow.social is also popular among furries, and https://newsie.social for news organizations that don't have the resources to manage their own server. It's also not a big deal if you later have second thoughts and change your mind because it's possible to migrate your account (with all of your follows and followers) to another server.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
I think the "Mastodon is hard" meme has done more to discourage use of Mastodon than the actual difficulty involved in using it. I know plenty of people who use it and are not remotely technically inclined.

There's definitely been a bit of a "Don't wanna let my kid sister use my Nintendo"-vibe to the whole thing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Working on Threads.

Thank you for that assurance Tempest!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3