• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:30 am Reply with quote
Can I just say how much I love the OP for this half? The song is great, but the imagery is magnificent. What I wouldn't give to see that majestic, slo-mo march on the big screen, especially that shot where Gojo and Geto part ways as they pass the camera, towering over it like Gundams. Also too when Sukuna takes over Yuuji's face is suitably spooky. This is one I never skip.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
I would love to know how come "Geto" manages to make 0 efforts to hide his existence with public appearances yet nobody in a secret organization with links to the government to the point that they can close a mayor city during Christmas, finds out a dead guy just casually enters Macdonald's and then everybody gets burned alive.

Are there no security cameras in this world or what?

They also didn't realice the body disappeared, I also find weird that Gojo didn't desintegrate Geto, but, whatever.

Yet again, I suppose it's my fault for watching a battle-only anime.

This could have been avoided had "Geto" used a different face and name, it would actually be a nice plot twist: Gojo Kills Geto in the movie, everybody thinks he is dead, then the big baddie we have followed these 2 seasons would reveal his real face is Geto's.

That would have been cool in a B-Movie way.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
I feel like at this point I'm only watching for the animation. I'm not sure what the problem is but I just have zero investment in this show. I can't even get excited watching the fights I just enjoy the spectacle.

I don't even remember the names of most of the characters which rarely happens to me. I don't know what it is with this show, I don't hate it but man do I find it hard to care.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:45 pm Reply with quote
While Geto is dead, the fake seems to fit with Mahito too due to his childish characterization. However, that might break the balance that the original Geto brought to the story especially after all the potential given in the flashback. The order to follow the franchise could have been reorganized to see Geto fighting Yuta after the flashback and not before. It feels like Akutami was more interested in pulling twists
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Now that's what I call an episode!

MAPPA once again kicking ass and showing everyone how an actual THE FLASH movie ought to be done. The director of this episode gets high marks! The sound FX team also did good. Everything was A+ from start to finish!

It always felt like an inevitability that Gojo was going to get killed or removed from the picture in order for the story to raise the stakes for the rest of the cast. He was just too OP'ed, and whoever takes him out gets to be the formidable villain of the story.

However...

Quote:
it's the stuff with Not-Geto the Slimy Brain-Curse-Thing that I'm iffy on

Yeah, I feel the same. We don't have any idea about who this Krang guy is... It's outta nowhere (though many have no doubt suspected something was up with the stitches on Geto's forehead this whole time), and it's not as effective as the twist of someone you know turning out to betray you, or someone whose power level you severely underestimated turning out to be a total badass. Arguably that betrayal card was already played by Mechamaru, which is a far more interesting twist due to the fact that he's a known character introduced way back, but even in his case it's technically just a risky gamble as Mechamaru really never wanted the bad guys to succeed.

We'll see how the Mechamaru revival plays out, though arguably because we didn't technically see his dead body, this was a possibility, and I think that despite his presence he's still somewhat dying/incapacitated, or these are his last dying gasps.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I would love to know how come "Geto" manages to make 0 efforts to hide his existence with public appearances yet nobody in a secret organization with links to the government to the point that they can close a mayor city during Christmas, finds out a dead guy just casually enters Macdonald's and then everybody gets burned alive..

"Geto" carefully avoided any contact with people linked to schools in the world of the occult.

Furthermore, Uthaime herself hypothesizes that those who collaborate with the curses could have ties with the higher levels of the world of Jujutsu.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:01 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I feel like at this point I'm only watching for the animation. I'm not sure what the problem is but I just have zero investment in this show. I can't even get excited watching the fights I just enjoy the spectacle.

I don't even remember the names of most of the characters which rarely happens to me. I don't know what it is with this show, I don't hate it but man do I find it hard to care.

Thank you very much, apart from Yuji's group, what has the rest of the cast done that is relevant so far?
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Guy Tizio wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

Thank you very much, apart from Yuji's group, what has the rest of the cast done that is relevant so far?

So far Gojo has been the most prominent character leading the rest. In the 0 movie we had Yuta leading with the actual Geto and his own curse at the same time. Yuji's curse is far from and didn't have too much screentime with the rest due to the fake death from season 1. The most of screentime they had together was in the fights with the guys from but a bit unevetful. Maybe once Mahito joins the fight we Will have more serious fights like Gojo recently had
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Not!Geto reveal is a miss for me. Part of that is definitely the awkward timeline of it all - not helped by this season having to open with the flashback arc - but mostly it's that Real Geto was a really engaging villain whose role in the story said a lot about the larger themes and conflicts of this world. Brain Guy is a decently executed twist, but otherwise we know nothing about him besides being evil. It's a severe downgrade that technically happened before the start of the show, but the reveal is where it really hits home how much we've lost from it.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:41 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Yeah, the Not!Geto reveal is a miss for me. Part of that is definitely the awkward timeline of it all - not helped by this season having to open with the flashback arc - but mostly it's that Real Geto was a really engaging villain whose role in the story said a lot about the larger themes and conflicts of this world. Brain Guy is a decently executed twist, but otherwise we know nothing about him besides being evil. It's a severe downgrade that technically happened before the start of the show, but the reveal is where it really hits home how much we've lost from it.

Like with other character introductions, you gotta wait and see how things play out before determining whether or not it was worth it. It could turn out to be a pointless waste of an already good villain in the long run but that has yet to be seen. I do like the fact that this eliminates ambiguity over whether or not Gojo finished off Geto though. There was no good reason for Geto to be allowed to survive after the events of Zero.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Guy Tizio wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I would love to know how come "Geto" manages to make 0 efforts to hide his existence with public appearances yet nobody in a secret organization with links to the government to the point that they can close a mayor city during Christmas, finds out a dead guy just casually enters Macdonald's and then everybody gets burned alive..

"Geto" carefully avoided any contact with people linked to schools in the world of the occult.

Furthermore, Uthaime herself hypothesizes that those who collaborate with the curses could have ties with the higher levels of the world of Jujutsu.

Don't buy the first part, "show, dont tell".

Furthermore, don't buy the fact that no security camera nor witness saw him entering the Mcdonalds.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes were really adorable and fun, and I'm glad that the latest episode revealed that Mechamaru's either alive or that he left something behind that's gonna help the main characters.

Count me in among the people who don't really like the Geto reveal. The scene is great and creepy and all (the background music is great), but the whole point of the villain until now was that he had a history with Gojo. This new guy is just... some rando, I guess.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:35 am Reply with quote
Huh. So Geto really did die in 0. Alright, but it is weird to devote a whole arc to fleshing him out and then immediately go, "jk, he's dead lol." To be fair, the Hidden Inventory arc was as much about developing Gojo as it was Geto, but what made it interesting was their relationship, and now we'll never see any more of that. It's an odd, risky writing choice. Let's see where it goes.

One interesting thing is how this twist completely recontextualizes most of Geto and Gojo's appearances so far. There's no longer any question as to whether or not Gojo was capable of killing his former friend. This also actually makes Geto's actions in the timeframe of the TV series make a LOT more sense. In 0, he assembled a group of rogue human sorcerers as his team. In the TV anime he's rejected human allies and built a team made up completely of cursed spirits (except for that death painting guy, but he's a special case.) Why would he side with curses if his the whole point of his non-sorcerer genocide plan was to eradicate curses? Well, now we know: he's been a curse himself this whole time. Now the change in his tactics feels like foreshadowing, so kudos to Akutami for that.

Geto was seriously a fantastic villain, though. Let's hope this swerve was worth it.

Quote:
The episode starts off with a faux-documentary series of interviews with all of the other Jujutsu Sorcerers, who all evaluate Gojo

The moment that happened I thought, "oh no, he's DOOMED."

Quote:
only to slaughter a full thousand cursed humans in the span of a mere 0.2 seconds

Okay, this is nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure what happened was that Gojo used his Infinite Domain for 0.2 seconds, then proceeded to kill the mutants while they were all stunned from the effect, which took a good deal longer (presumably about as long as it took to depict it onscreen.) The narrator mentioned that this was a considerable risk because one of the curse spirits could have shaken the effect off before Gojo was done, but that wouldn't have been an issue if Gojo's whole killing spree had taken only 0.2 seconds.

Anyway, how great was that whole sequence? The choice of using freestyle, disorderly jazz music for the whole thing was inspired.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I would love to know how come "Geto" manages to make 0 efforts to hide his existence with public appearances

Until Shibuya, all his public appearances took place before the real Geto's death. The only time Fake Geto showed up in public where he might have been documented was when he killed everyone at that burger place, and for obvious reasons there are no witnesses to that. Given his level of power he would have been able to destroy any security cameras effortlessly.
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="tintor2"]
Guy Tizio wrote:
[

So far Gojo has been the most prominent character leading the rest. In the 0 movie we had Yuta leading with the actual Geto and his own curse at the same time. Yuji's curse is far from and didn't have too much screentime with the rest due to the fake death from season 1. The most of screentime they had together was in the fights with the guys from but a bit unevetful. Maybe once Mahito joins the fight we Will have more serious fights like Gojo recently had

In fact, Gojo is part of Yuji's group.

Yuta I don't count it, since to date it has only been seen in the prequel
Guy Tizio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
In 0, he assembled a group of rogue human sorcerers as his team. In the TV anime he's rejected human allies and built a team made up completely of cursed spirits (except for that death painting guy, but he's a special case.) Why would he side with curses if his the whole point of his non-sorcerer genocide plan was to eradicate curses? Well, now we know: he's been a curse himself this whole time. Now the change in his tactics feels like foreshadowing, so kudos to Akutami for that.

Several humans also work with the Pseudo-Geto.

Last season we saw the guy with the sword with the hilted hand and the guy who turned corpses into objects. Mechamaru also cooperated (even if he was a double agent).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 58