• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oh, you're right. I forgot all about that. Yikes... So if he's left alone for too long he'll turn into a slime monster?

I doubt that, he has been alone plenty of times so far, if it worked like that then he would have turned into a slime long ago. That said, it would be interesting if human life on their planet began as a drop from a monster, though you do get the chicken and egg conversation due to that.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:13 pm Reply with quote
No shocking developments this week. Dealing with a dungeon boss and adding a new companion to the familia took up 95% of the episode. That said, if you have a dungeon that is crucial to your town and a dungeon boss pop ups in it, then you had better pray that a strong team of adventurers is close by.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
It looks like that Neptune guy's creep factor is becoming a little more pronounced, but yeah, other than that, not much change in the status quo. Not that I'm demanding a lot. I was kind of hoping to see a "Take this job and shove it" moment from the pyromancer but her bosses never got any face time.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This is another isekai that has a really interesting hook with its premise of an entire town's economy being reliant on the loot drops from a dungeon.

It's just....bad in every other way. The main girls in this show have no agency outside of our lead and the fact the lead gets a gun is so flabbergasting due to how he has no traumatic reaction to it.

It also has lackluster animation and really middling action. Just really tired of these isekai doing nothing with their hooks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:17 am Reply with quote
So this encampment has a ton of garbage to dispose of. Why does she need to keep blasting it with fire spells? Why not just start a fire going, and then lob bags of trash on the pile to keep it burning? They seem to have enough burnable trash to keep that going for days, like Burning Man. If spellfire is needed to incinerate "non-burnable" trash, then save it for that.

Even that one scene baffled me, where she seemed to have burnt up a pile to nothing...and then she blasts it again, but still leaving no fewer ashes when that burned out. Why? And they never did explain why she could only use Level 3 spells. And I keep forgetting the direction of power - is 3 > 1 or is 1 > 3? Is A > B or is B > A? I'm thinking 3 > 1 and A > B, but then S > A, so even after years of these hierarchy systems, that still trips me up. Anime dazed

(had to edit because the text keeps interpreting anything between > and < signs as html and dumps the text. Smile)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:57 am Reply with quote
The main issue is that most adventurers are lazy bums and just leave the crucial job of trash disposal to Celeste. Being alone makes the garbage burning idea not an option since it is not fast enough to outburn the supply. In regards to the spells it makes sense. Her only spell is powerful, but also uses up a ton of mana which makes the whole thing horribly ineffecient and doomed from the start.

Finally, one has to wonder why they would only place a single person near a very important dungeon during a time when there are many adventurers there and thus lots of trash. If such a large amount of trash does not get taken care of then you will have a monster army on your hands and will lose control of a supposedly important dungeon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:11 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Being alone makes the garbage burning idea not an option since it is not fast enough to outburn the supply.

What with all the wildfires around here, I'm here to tell you it would be fast enough. People die because they can't outrun fires, even in their cars. As long as there's stuff to burn, it will burn, so once she starts the first fire, there's no reason not to just keep tossing stuff on to the flaming pile as it burns down. It's like they've never been camping and had to keep feeding a fire.

It's not like monsters spawn instantly. As long as she's in the vicinity (not to mention all the adventurers bringing in trash), the garbage should remain garbage until it gets burned. Even if she needs to make more than one pile, just start one fire from one already burning.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmmmn....

(1) Consume the dropped product.
(2) Toss the leftover scraps into a big pit trap
(3) station archers around the pit trap.
(4) Kill the monsters that spawn from trash.
(5) Take the drops.

Begin cycle over again.

Wouldn't that be a renewable source of goods without having to go dungeon diving?

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like an improvement to me! Recycling, as it were, w/ no air pollution either.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What with all the wildfires around here, I'm here to tell you it would be fast enough. People die because they can't outrun fires, even in their cars. As long as there's stuff to burn, it will burn, so once she starts the first fire, there's no reason not to just keep tossing stuff on to the flaming pile as it burns down. It's like they've never been camping and had to keep feeding a fire.

A great strategy if she were not alone. Once the fires gets going you will need to put in the ever accumulating garbage day and night to keep the process going. No rest or sleep, especially at night since the garbage will transform once it thinks that you are not actively watching. The whole thing would be easily solved if you were to add more people and given that the dungeon is so important that should not be an issue. The recycling plan also sounds like a good improvement.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:58 am Reply with quote
I don't see what her being alone has to do with it. Fire doesn't burn things instantly (again, campfire:wood), and lazy or not, if they can bring stuff to be burned, they can toss it onto the burning fire themselves instead of at her feet. If there's such a steady stream of garbage that she can't even sleep, then there's no need for her to even be there - things won't transform while they're burning, and with new trash constantly added the pyre won't go out. The main time she'd need to tend to anything would be maybe overnight while trash generation was low and the fire might finally burn down. But can none of these adventurers even light a freakin' match? Also, her problem didn't seem to be lack of sleep but overuse of mana. Does it need to be a magically lit fire to work?? oO

If she's by the trash sleeping, does it transform? I think someone else asked if people's furniture transformed while they slept. I think they clearly don't (but then the house and all the stuff in it doesn't either, while they're both out adventuring, so...).

I still favor the recycling pit idea. Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
The trash being aware of people observing or not has always been a finnicky thing. I personally believe that any item that has been combined with something else to make something new does not transform back into a monster, making things like houses and furniture safe. Trash however does not seem to work that way. As for throwing more garbage on the burning heap(s), does it need to be burning completely to not turn back into a monster? If so you would need to have a person watching the trash 24/7 regardless of what you do.

Ah well, either have slightly less lazy adventurers or have more employees do the work.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
So, the newest episode was a fun one, We had the return to the vegetable town, the return of the bunny girl and even an upcoming festival. That said, I have a few very pressing questions:

1: Money is dropped from a dungeon, how on earth are you going to regulate that?
2: Money seems to also turn into a stray when left alone, does that mean that any change laying around somewhere can become a monster at any moment?
3: So I guess a tribe of bunnygirls is now a thing?
4: Seems like Ryouta got into their world as a drop when he was a kid for a short bit (I assume it was him anyway) and permanently as an adult?
5: Having a festival about letting strays run wild seems like a good idea right?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I just hope no kids were watching today's episode. Watching that bunny girl in a skimpy club outfit knocking Ryouta over, planting her head in his crotch, and whining about how she wants a big carrot that only he could give her seemed a tad subtext ridden to yours half truly Embarassed

And speaking of non-subtext, didn't the receptionist plant one on Ryouta a few episodes ago? He's taken the Isekai harem protagonist with no game stereotype to new heights. Or depths.

I had the same questions about money being a drop, Smurky. Maybe there's only one dungeon that drops money per region, and they guard them like Fort Knox.

Not that it helps with those pesky counterfeit money drops...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:02 am Reply with quote
This week there was plenty of collecting going on. Be it a new house, abilities or a new team member. The house in question is rather large, plus that the familia now has 3 houses to make use of. The two magic spells are pretty handy, especially the reservation one since it means good drops while not wasting all the XP on Ryota who can not level. As for the new member, Alice may only be level 2, yet her Pokemon like ability will probably make for a team of familiars with all kinds of abilities. Though it does pose the question what being born in a dungeon makes you....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5