• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
jmckenna15 wrote:
To him it was more than just a figurine. It's a mark of disrespect towards him and to somebody he cared about. And they were bullies to begin with. There's only so much sympathy they deserve for crossing the wrong person.

Plus their dad was the one that imprisoned Rudeus under false pretenses and humiliated him that way. By comparsion this was tame.

I genuinely have no idea what to say to this. What a ghastly worldview.
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:27 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

I genuinely have no idea what to say to this. What a ghastly worldview.

It's Rudeus' worldview. It's why he did what he did. How "ghastly" it really is is open to interpretation but we can't say it's not without a degree of lived experience.

Also yeah the beast girls are contemptible individuals for how they treated other students, especially Rudeus and Zanoba. Pursena was even trying to sacrifice her sister to save her own skin. It's where a lot of the comedy comes from -- its bad things happening to bad people. Even if it was objectively over the top on its own.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Juno016"]
freebird1994 wrote:

I do have a question for anyone who has read through volume 26 (Rudeus' story's end). Does Rudeus truly grow significantly as a person and stop treating women so poorly by the end of his story? Does he truly learn to be more selfless? I'm not looking for specifics and don't want spoilers, but I feel like a lot of us at least need to know if the story is actually building up to a better Rudeus or if we're just misreading what is only meant to be wish-fulfillment. That could be a deciding factor for whether some of us continue investing in the series (though I think I'm in it for the long haul, since I bought it all).
From watching only the anime, I think he was never meant to be less selfless, but more functional in a social sense menber of society. I do think the author self inserts or at the very least plays on the fantasies some of his readers have in regards to some questionable choices. I do however don't think we need a moral redemption narrative to have a good story; a main character can be deeply flawed after all, but if the world allows him to suceed while doubling down on his tendencies, it should be with some message behind, not come across as an attempt to normalise those conducts.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:04 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The criticisms don't have anything to do with Rudeus being a bad person. They're about the show not recognizing he's a bad person, and making light of the awful things he does.

It's in fact a quality considering the original target audience.
The show isn't an educative program targeted at children or a high fantasy story about Good vs Evil. It's a late anime adaptation of a light novel which core target audience was probably men looking for escapism with a power fantasy with waifus and ecchi. They don't want to be preached in their entertainment. They already had been taught that since kindergarten by the society they want to escape from for a while.
In my opinion, it's kind of weird to want every entertainment to hammer the same morals/ethics as if the audience need to be constantly educated.
Gamen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
jmckenna15 wrote:
those two girls arguably deserved to be humiliated and humbled in this manner

Uh? They broke a tiny figurine, one Rudy could easily fix, and we have zero context for how the fight took place; if anything, knowing the prince's temperament, it's not hard to imagine he was as much a force in provoking the conflict as them. And, your conclusion is that they deserved to be kidnapped, molested, and left in a room until they pissed themselves...?

O-OK.

And I took so long writing that it's already been explained by multiple times! I'd like to go on a rant about "faithful" adaptations that just pick and choose which scenes to animate without regard to plotholes left by what's cut, versus loose ones that make a hash of the original story but at least have an incentive to get it right since it's "their" version of it, but that's not even the problem here is it?

With what they had.... cut the sexual assault, retain a bit of the flashback, and voila, they've better justified the treatment they showed the two delinquents receiving and there's less of it to justify. Change the timeline, so they're only confined for an hour or so while Rudeus goes to meet with Fitz at the library, and they head back immediately after Fitz hears the story. Even better. Cut the chanting of Roxy's name; more time for flashbacks.

These aren't just decisions the author made, in writing these events, but the studio too, in adapting them this way. They judged the justifications for Rudeus' actions less important than making sure every gratuitous detail was animated.

Which raises the question... is that because they thought none of it was justifiable, so why bother? Or because they didn't think they needed to justify a little sexual assault?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
snowcat -- I mean, I'm not surprised that it has a huge harem, significant power fantasy elements, etc. It isn't some great mystery where those elements come from culturally. I just don't think it deserves praise for them; they weaken its narrative, and directly undermine claims that it can be read as a serious redemption story (or character study, for that matter; another common excuse). It does deserve some praise for the more surprising places in which it steps away from those things, and there are actually a decent number of those.

I also am losing the internet version of my voice from repeating it at this point, but asking for tone to be consistent with what's portrayed in a scene is not the same thing as asking for morality to be 'hammered'. I'm saying 'Don't portray slavery as a hilarious joke' and somehow you seem to be hearing 'He wants this to be Sesame Street'.

Or, I don't know, maybe you think even the mildest constraints on the degeneracy that spawned this is "moral hammering". If so, then I guess that's just an impassable void. Like my recent exchange with jmckenna, I will just never get to a point where I can read someone argue that kidnapping, molesting, and torturing people is "deserved" humiliation because they felt mildly disrespected. That's not a gap of grossed-out that gets bridged.
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Point was that it was not "mildly" disrespectful to Rudeus. It was a grave insult and he responded with what he thought was an appropriate punishment based on what he's learned up to this point. One doesn't have to condone and endorse what he did but we can sympathize with him because of this -- which Rich pointed out in his review.

As far as tone this was a drift towards a more comedic kind of episode to begin with and it largely worked. Morally it's amoral at best and was meant as a one-shot kind of deal, but it's still in line with Rudeus as a character to think along the lines he was thinking.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Come to think of it, sure is weird how Rudy being bullied and sexually abused in his past life is treated as a sympathetic explanation for all his own sexual hangups and problems. Yet when he bullies and sexually abuses the cat and dog girl it's something they "deserve" and it "taught them a lesson". Funny, that.
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
snowcat -- I mean, I'm not surprised that it has a huge harem, significant power fantasy elements, etc. It isn't some great mystery where those elements come from culturally. I just don't think it deserves praise for them; they weaken its narrative, and directly undermine claims that it can be read as a serious redemption story (or character study, for that matter; another common excuse). It does deserve some praise for the more surprising places in which it steps away from those things, and there are actually a decent number of those.

I understand your point. Generally speaking, it's the same problem with fanservice: it can weakens the story from a narrative stand point but it entertains the audience. We are speaking of entertainment here, so fanservice is sometimes as important as the quality of the story.

For the tone consistency, I didn't think that was bad, it serves as transition between the "date" and the chock when they encounter Julie. And I didn't think the author was depicting slavery as a joke. There are multiple way to tell a story.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
We do know from the light novel the context. Being heirs of beast tribes they let it get to their heads at the academy(which is funny because the reason the chief sent them there was so they could learn some common sense as he considered them to be too unruly...). They and their posse which they gathered had almost free reign to engage in unsavory practices(bullying etc) at the academy, protected by their status as beast royalty. But once they decided to challenge Ariel and her group when grown jealous of their popularity, it backfired spectacularly as Fitz defeated them all single-handedly. The members of the posse got expelled but they themselves were once again protected by their status and could remain.

They were consequently pretty fumed by this so they challenged Zanoba, and Zanoba who had never lost a fight of strength before of course accepted. Well, he lost and was basically treated as an errand boy for them thereafter...

The problem is that none of that was even much hinted at in the anime version, so I, as an anime-only viewer, was left scratching my head on how they were such problem cases. That is a legitimate adaptation flaw, as no adaptation should have to rely on an expectation of reading the source material just to make sense.

jmckenna15 wrote:
As far as tone this was a drift towards a more comedic kind of episode to begin with and it largely worked. Morally it's amoral at best and was meant as a one-shot kind of deal, but it's still in line with Rudeus as a character to think along the lines he was thinking.

As someone who normally defends the series, I can't agree with the bolded part. I could see what the series was trying to but the humor didn't land on that part. (Julie, OTOH, was a joy to watch. I, too, wasn't aware that the series needed a character like her.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Come to think of it, sure is weird how Rudy being bullied and sexually abused in his past life is treated as a sympathetic explanation for all his own sexual hangups and problems. Yet when he bullies and sexually abuses the cat and dog girl it's something they "deserve" and it "taught them a lesson". Funny, that.

But don't you see, they're haughty anime girls and not lovable sex perverts, so it's totally different. Obviously.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:56 pm Reply with quote
jmckenna15 wrote:
It was meant to be seen as Rudeus getting justice for them destroying something valuable to him. He could replace it sure, but it's the disrespect they showed that stung more so he had to teach them a lesson. It's easy to sympathize with him here -- they deserved it. And it was still pretty funny how he almost let them starve just because he forgot about them.

Another funny moment honestly was that Rudeus went in for a fondle just to see if it would cure his ED. The fact he didn't see it as sexual because it didn't do anything for him does fit in with his ethics and morals at this point, while giving the audience a chance to be like "uh dude, that counts lol".

I don't hate Rudy but can't really relate to him here. I feel like his Roxy obsession is starting to look kinda unhealthy and freaky and his attempts to cure his ED were a little in bad taste (I think you can get away with a certain level of perversion, but Rudy's kind of straining it).
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I don't hate Rudy but can't really relate to him here. I feel like his Roxy obsession is starting to look kinda unhealthy and freaky and his attempts to cure his ED were a little in bad taste (I think you can get away with a certain level of perversion, but Rudy's kind of straining it).

Oh his obsession with Roxy is definitely unhealthy. Just look at how elaborate the shrine for the Holy Relic has gotten throughout the show's run. If they didn't add the comedic flourishes around it, it would be uncomfortably cultish.

There's a difference between "relate" and "sympathize" for me. I don't relate too much to him either but I can understand his actions and why he feels the way he does. He does go overboard-- often -- but recently it's been so out there that it wings around to being funny rather than uncomfortable.
ICO44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I cant relate or sympathize to Rudy but his fun and interesting character to watch and to me sometimes more interesting than relatable characters.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:10 am Reply with quote
I think that Richard's assessment of Rudy is on point here. He's a fundamentally selfish person, and this show does an exceptional job of depicting that and letting us understand why he was that. I don't even think that this is a redemption story, and I don't even think that he will outgrow that personality at any point. However, I don't think the show is bad because of that. I'm invested in how his life story goes in this world, while recognizing that he's the kind of person that I wouldn't want to associate or interact with should he exist IRL. With that in mind, while I understand any moral critique for Rudeus might be valid, me and many other fans don't think that those are in any way to the show's demerit.

Somehow, people who demonize Mushoku Tensei fans can't get it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 77