• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Cleric (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:56 am Reply with quote
Aw, man, now what am I gonna do with this boss seppeku bento I made for the viewing???
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:58 pm Reply with quote
You could always watch a show that committed ritual suicide the second season. I can think of a number of candidates...

Anyhow, back to the Great Cleric episode 3

Every time Luciel thinks that events are occurring because of his luck stat, and some imaginary luck avatar is shown winking over his shoulder, the joke seems to be that Luciel is incredibly naïve and letting himself in for more and more suffering.

It also seems clear that Brod thinks he's taking advantage of Luciel; all the stuff about keeping Luciel from leaving the guild and such sounds like an abusive person or cult isolating someone so that they won't question the bogus mindset or reality being established.

But it also seems clear that Brod is afraid that Luciel will be tempted by the sweetheart deals and life of luxury that corrupt clerics apparently enjoy in...I forgot the name of the city. And that Brod is looking out for his people, particularly beast people who are being denied treatment for discriminatory reasons. So it's hard to hold it against him.

And maybe it is lucky if it keeps Luciel from becoming some corrupt douche or staying innocent and being noticed by the powers that be in the city.

Wouldn't that be a bitch of a high luck statistic? The tough love good luck - your camping provisions spill out of the canoe so that you get to practice your survival skills and lose a few pounds. Your car breaks down and you miss a job interview because the job would have been a crap job anyhow. Etc.
asoka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I am so far anyway a little puzzled by this show.

In general I feel it is above average even though there are things that kinda bug me. That Luck Monster guy bugs the crap outa me, all of the little emotive 5 sec skits I also find annoying. They from my perspective don't really add anything.

Also after seeing Ep3 I tend to agree with Gina the our MC looks like he is merchant running a stall on main street...I guess the Cleric part will show up fairly soon...?

Things I do like are that the MC is getting the snot beat out of him by the guy who will probably turn out to be the guild master. Don't normally see the MC taking a regular butt thumping.He is progressing slowly, refreshing to see instead of jumping for novice newb to badass in 3 episodes.

Plus whatever is in that purple potion is looks seriously nasty...

And of course there can never be enough bunny girls...although I do prefer the death or carrots girl to the guild receptionist.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:37 am Reply with quote
His life right now is pretty difficult, but given that he is not an overpowered demi-god it seems like a solid plan to get a good start in the new world. Better healing abilities, combat experience, higher combat skills and a bit of money, it all makes for a lot of progression in a relatively short period of time. Given that the more you do something the faster said skill grows it is especially valuable when it comes to healing. Those corrupt/lazy healers probably grow at a snails pace compared to our mc.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:11 am Reply with quote
asoka wrote:
...our MC looks like he is merchant running a stall on main street...I guess the Cleric part will show up fairly soon...?

I was just thinking today that he really reminds me of a parking valet. Very Happy As for the Cleric, I could be wrong, but I think in the rpg gaming world a cleric = healer. To not-a-gamer me, a cleric is a priest or pastor.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:56 am Reply with quote
I haven't really played video games in a while, so I'm sure there are people with a lot more experience than me in this area - but a lot of video games with D&D type classes don't really emphasize the cleric's background or where their healing and warding and such comes from because its all about getting through quests or dungeons. In games like Skyrim, you have all rounder characters who can pick and choose any magic or healing or illusionist or fighting ability that pleases their eye as they level up, so healing just seems like another skill.

But in tabletop RPG games, the cleric usually has some kind of temple/deity/church background.

I haven't seen this world demand much from its clerics in terms of learning scripture or converting masses so far.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Given that the more you do something the faster said skill grows it is especially valuable when it comes to healing. Those corrupt/lazy healers probably grow at a snails pace compared to our mc.

And our MC grows at a snail's pace compared to most isekai protagonists.

I can't decide if he's making massive progress or not considering he's drinking some mysterious substance X that's apparently like crack, steroids, and Himeji's home cooking from Baka and Test all blended into one.

It'll be interesting to see how Luciel does when he fights someone other than Brod, who's apparently at the top of the food chain.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:48 am Reply with quote
Clearly it's Purple Drank. >.>

Doesn't actually make you any stronger, faster, etc., just makes you think you are. Smile
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:18 am Reply with quote
Welp, it might explain why he keeps hallucinating a head named Lucky bobbing over his right shoulder Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:02 am Reply with quote
Another week, another episode filled with training. That said, this week we also had training in regards to knowing more about the world and butchering. There was also plenty of healing work to do, some of it rather urgent (and realistically, not everyone could be saved). The episode also reinforced how cheap a life is in their world, throw some gold at a problem and it can be taken care of.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
When those women grabbed the MC and started dragging him off saying that he was inexperienced and that they were told to teach him some things, I have to say, my mind went there.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Another week, another episode filled with training.

You said this last week, and it's how I felt this week. At the beginning of this episode, I thought that the MC was finally going to step outside the Adventure's guild and maybe we could see how some of his training was paying off. But nope. Brod shows up, pays Luciel's fees, and takes him back to the guild for more training. Hasn't this happened two or three times by now?

I like that the show didn't have some god or goddess just hand the MC a winning lotto ticket, but we're on what? Episode 5? And I finally reached a point where I asked myself about what exactly has happened in this series so far. I would have welcomed it if Luciel set up a clinic and started applying things he knows from our world in addition to practicing healing magic. Like, y'know, a basic understanding of what germs are? Sanitation practices? Some dietary do's and don'ts? I would have welcomed it if Bottacelli or Botulism or whatever that dude's name is had really hired some serious assassins just to stir up the plot a little bit. Hell, I would have welcomed it if the assassins were gorgeous and wearing bikini armor and top hats even though that wouldn't be in keeping with the show's tone. . Something cliche. Something outrageous. Just something.

Next week better flash forward and get Luciel the #$%^ out of that basement or...or...I shall complain a second time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:20 am Reply with quote
I do have to agree that this anime is special in the way that it has a very long training arc before there is any actual action. Most anime tend to make the training go by as fast as possible to get into some excitement, here we see several years go by slowly improving. The issue with this is that not much of anything is happening and that some viewers are slowly starving for something to happen. Looking up the source material we are getting that something pretty soon though, so in the end half of this season will have probably ended up as training.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
This week marked the end of what was basically a 6 episode long training arc. We have seen our mc grow a lot in all kinds of ways and he seems as ready as he will ever be to have some adventures. It also seems like the butcher and guild leader are quite the important figures and have made things a bit safer for Luciel. Thanks to the training program the guild situation in town should also not become as bad as it once was for the rookie adventurers.

As for how I look back on the first half of this show: I like how they took their time to have our mc not be overpowered and have to build himself up bit by bit. That said, 6 episodes of training is a bit much and not much of note has happened in those episodes. I am sure that a lot of people have dropped the anime due to that.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I like the show, but I do wish they'd had Luciel get out more and had a few small incidents, mishaps, and adventures along the way.

Or else, just put Botacelli in episode 3 and then skipped the last two episodes and fast forwarded up to this point.

Two things I am looking forward to...

We've only seen Luciel's fighting ability compared to the Demon instructor. It'd be nice to see if he really is as slow and clumsy as he says he is, or if he only feels this way because it's relative to Brod.

- We'll probably be seeing Ms. Paladin - it's been so long I forgot her name - soon since she's a prominent character in the OP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4